Russian Fighter Buzzes US Navy Warship

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

K 19

Russian Fighter Buzzes US Navy Warship

Post by K 19 »

A Russian fighter jet made multiple, close-range passes near an American warship in the Black Sea for more than 90 minutes Saturday amid escalating tensions in the region, U.S. military officials said Monday.

In the first public account of the incident, the officials said the Russian Fencer made 12 passes, and flew within 1,000 yards of the USS Donald Cook, a Navy destroyer, at about 500 feet above sea level.

The U.S. warship issued several radio queries and warnings using international emergency circuits, but the Russian aircraft did not respond.

"This provocative and unprofessional Russian action is inconsistent with international protocols and previous agreements on the professional interaction between our militaries," said Army Col. Steve Warren, a Pentagon spokesman.

Link

Message? Warning? Tom Cruise flybys?
edfathead

RE: Russian Fighter Buzzes US Navy Warship

Post by edfathead »

Cool :) Why is the U.S even there? Not really any of their business! Plus its proven they cannot win a battle let alone a war. :/ They are the Kanye West of Military's, just throwing money around but not really knowing what to do. Sit down Kanye its not all about you.

;) P.s)- Calm down
Win 8.1 (64)
i5 @3.5
24gb RAM
GTX 760 2gb
Zathras1

Post by Zathras1 »

Fathead,

Are you off your meds again? [;)]
TonyAAA

Post by TonyAAA »

My gut feeling is a recon flight trying to bait the destroyer into illuminating it so as to gather up to date attack radar intel.
edfathead

Post by edfathead »

Just being a dirty Troll :( I am ashamed of myself.
Win 8.1 (64)
i5 @3.5
24gb RAM
GTX 760 2gb
.Sirius

Post by .Sirius »

I would have locked him up !
Paul aka Sirius
Command Developer
Warfaresims
Cold War Data Base 1946-1979 Author

Old radar men never die - Their echoes fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law
AlmightyTallest

Post by AlmightyTallest »

Well, it's not like we're on a war footing, and I would want to give them the least amount of data about our radars that could be used against us later as updated ECM systems.

Having said that, there's probably enough output power and steerable beams from an Aegis radar to warm up the pilot's coffee, or make him feel toasty. [;)]

http://www.radartutorial.eu/19.kartei/karte503.en.html
peak power: 4 to 6 megawatts
average power: 58 kilowatts

Some rather interesting info about the Aegis radar versions here, are they actually S band or wide band?:
http://mostlymissiledefense.com/2012/08/03/ballistic-missile-defense-the-aegis-spy-1-radar-august-3-2012/
The Aegis system operates in S-band, from about 3.1 to 3.5 GHz (λ = 8.6 to 9.7 cm). Early descriptions indicated that the system reportedly had a “sustained coherent bandwidth” of 10 MHz and instantaneous bandwidth of 40 MHz.[5] An early paper on the SPY-1 radar discusses three sub-bands, FL, FC, and FH, each 40 MHz wide, in the context of measuring antenna gain. However, data was also collected over much wider bands than the defined ones — 160 MHz at broadside, and 120 MHz at a 60 degrees scan angle.[6]

The Aegis system’s bandwidth was apparently subsequently increased, perhaps up to its maximum frequency extent of 400 MHz. The 4.0.1 version of the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense system, which is now entering service, added an adjunct BMD Signal Processor that, among other things, allows the formation of two-dimensional inverse synthetic aperture images with better resolution than had previously been possible, which implies a wideband capability.[7] A 1999 Lincoln Laboratory briefing slide shows a “Wideband Waveform Concept for AN/SPY-1 Radar” using a 400 MHz wideband waveform constructed from ten 40 MHz bandwidth pulses frequency jumping from 3.1 to 3.5 GHz.[8] A 2002 paper cites a bandwidth of 300 MHz for Aegis.[9] Such a bandwidth would likely permit a range resolution of about 0.5-1.0 meters.
NakedWeasel

Post by NakedWeasel »

Those Fencer pilots would've had a very abrupt meeting with their creator, had it been deemed necessary to escalate the situation. These are wasteful, dangerous games that are being played. Aegis is a bear that can dish out a lot of pain with very little warning.

Silly, stupid little games.
Though surrounded by a great number of enemies
View them as a single foe
And so fight on!
AlmightyTallest

Post by AlmightyTallest »

I agree, this certainly isn't the deescalation some are asking for.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”