Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Naval Movement question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Naval Movement question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Naval Movement question - 3/14/2013 1:04:41 AM   
topeverest

In my current game, the allies are engaged in retaking Ceylon, and the empire is actively defending. Something recently happened that caused me to rethink what I thought I knew about naval movement. i don't understand why it happened.

The empire pushed a supply TF to Koggla on Ceylon. I ordered a SCTF to intercept at full speed from Cochin, 11 hexes from Koggla by sea, the very next turn (speed 9). I used P38's for CAP cover, and I sent out ample scouting, which allowed me to spot all the empire nearby naval forces, none of which were within 10 hexes of the target hex. I rechecked my saved turn and I did not bork the orders.

Now the rub. My SCTF moved exactly one hex during the turn. It wasnt attacked by Sea, sub, or air, it wasnt threatened. It just didnt move but one hex. Let me add I carefully chose the commanders and TF commander, so I dont think that is the problem, and fuel and ammo were full. Also, I had a couple ASW TF in the area along the way to Koggala, and they moved normally. I was leaning towards the TF was lining up for a night attack, becasue of the spotted empire CV's some 20 hexes away, but that doesnt really work, becuase the SCTF was still 10 hexes away from Koggla after the turn.

What am I missing here? Bad luck, or WAD?

Andy M
Post #: 1
RE: Naval Movement question - 3/14/2013 1:18:24 AM   
nashvillen

Did it refuel its smaller ships before the speed run? Check its ops points on the file you saved before processing. They range from 0-1000, with 0 meaning they haven't done anything yet this turn to 1000 meaning they have done everything possible this turn and won't do any more. Activities like loading, refueling, unloading, etc. use up Ops points.

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval Movement question - 3/14/2013 2:27:55 AM   
Captain Cruft

If you had Retirement Allowed set the code will take however many turns it needs to position the TF exactly 9 hexes away from the target before sending it in at night. This applies to Surface Combat, Bombardment and Fast Transport TFs.

To have more control over a TF use Remain on Station or a Patrol Zone. Preferably the latter since you can then use React.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 3
RE: Naval Movement question - 3/14/2013 2:59:59 AM   
topeverest

Refueling did not occur, but I did have the retirement allowed set. That's got to be it. I will use patrol functionality in future similar situations.

Very good tip.

Thanks!

Andy M

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 4
RE: Naval Movement question - 3/14/2013 11:37:00 AM   
Itdepends

Sending the TF in at night applies to bombardment and fast transport but I wasn't aware it applied to surface combat. Refuelling may have occurred and would not be apparent in the pre or post save op's points. Check the pre resolution save- once you've set the TF to full speed to any of the ships in the TF have their endurance in orange or red (not green)? If so- they are likely to have refuelled during night phase. You won't see the ops points consumed because by the time you see the TF again (after the turn resolution) they've already got their full quota of ops points back.

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 5
RE: Naval Movement question - 3/14/2013 12:47:30 PM   
HansBolter

I've seen similar things happen with intercepts at enemy bases and bombardments.

It seems if the distance is very close to one turns worth of full speed movement that the code hiccups.

I have seen TFs at distances of 10-12 hexes that hve full speed movement of 9 move either one or two hexes the first turn and be out of range the second turn or move 9 hexes the first turn and be 1 or 2 hexes from the target with their a_ses hanging out under enemy controlled skies on the second turn.

Unless my TF is two to three turns worth of full movement away from the target I manually move them to a point 9 hexes from the target with a do not retire order and then switch them over to the intercept or bombardment order knowing they will make the run in to the target. I DO have to remember to rescind the do not retire order though........

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 3/14/2013 12:49:43 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 6
RE: Naval Movement question - 3/14/2013 1:55:27 PM   
jeffk3510

It was the retirement allowed. If you were 10 hexes away, and it only moved one.. it positioned itself to move 9 hexes for a night right...(your full movement range).

Sucks..I do it just as you did.

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Naval Movement question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI