Naval Movement question

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

topeverest

Naval Movement question

Post by topeverest »

In my current game, the allies are engaged in retaking Ceylon, and the empire is actively defending. Something recently happened that caused me to rethink what I thought I knew about naval movement. i don't understand why it happened.

The empire pushed a supply TF to Koggla on Ceylon. I ordered a SCTF to intercept at full speed from Cochin, 11 hexes from Koggla by sea, the very next turn (speed 9). I used P38's for CAP cover, and I sent out ample scouting, which allowed me to spot all the empire nearby naval forces, none of which were within 10 hexes of the target hex. I rechecked my saved turn and I did not bork the orders.

Now the rub. My SCTF moved exactly one hex during the turn. It wasnt attacked by Sea, sub, or air, it wasnt threatened. It just didnt move but one hex. Let me add I carefully chose the commanders and TF commander, so I dont think that is the problem, and fuel and ammo were full. Also, I had a couple ASW TF in the area along the way to Koggala, and they moved normally. I was leaning towards the TF was lining up for a night attack, becasue of the spotted empire CV's some 20 hexes away, but that doesnt really work, becuase the SCTF was still 10 hexes away from Koggla after the turn.

What am I missing here? Bad luck, or WAD?
Andy M
nashvillen

RE: Naval Movement question

Post by nashvillen »

Did it refuel its smaller ships before the speed run? Check its ops points on the file you saved before processing. They range from 0-1000, with 0 meaning they haven't done anything yet this turn to 1000 meaning they have done everything possible this turn and won't do any more. Activities like loading, refueling, unloading, etc. use up Ops points.
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

If you had Retirement Allowed set the code will take however many turns it needs to position the TF exactly 9 hexes away from the target before sending it in at night. This applies to Surface Combat, Bombardment and Fast Transport TFs.

To have more control over a TF use Remain on Station or a Patrol Zone. Preferably the latter since you can then use React.
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Refueling did not occur, but I did have the retirement allowed set. That's got to be it. I will use patrol functionality in future similar situations.

Very good tip.

Thanks!
Andy M
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

Sending the TF in at night applies to bombardment and fast transport but I wasn't aware it applied to surface combat. Refuelling may have occurred and would not be apparent in the pre or post save op's points. Check the pre resolution save- once you've set the TF to full speed to any of the ships in the TF have their endurance in orange or red (not green)? If so- they are likely to have refuelled during night phase. You won't see the ops points consumed because by the time you see the TF again (after the turn resolution) they've already got their full quota of ops points back.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I've seen similar things happen with intercepts at enemy bases and bombardments.

It seems if the distance is very close to one turns worth of full speed movement that the code hiccups.

I have seen TFs at distances of 10-12 hexes that hve full speed movement of 9 move either one or two hexes the first turn and be out of range the second turn or move 9 hexes the first turn and be 1 or 2 hexes from the target with their a_ses hanging out under enemy controlled skies on the second turn.

Unless my TF is two to three turns worth of full movement away from the target I manually move them to a point 9 hexes from the target with a do not retire order and then switch them over to the intercept or bombardment order knowing they will make the run in to the target. I DO have to remember to rescind the do not retire order though........
Hans

jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

It was the retirement allowed. If you were 10 hexes away, and it only moved one.. it positioned itself to move 9 hexes for a night right...(your full movement range).

Sucks..I do it just as you did.
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it

Return to “The War Room”