Potential Buyer

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

David Hansen

Potential Buyer

Post by David Hansen »

I've been following the progress of TOF since its first release...read a lot of postings and AAR's in this forum.

I'm debating purchasing either TOF or HOI3 in the near future.

I read a comment that TOF is HOI3 "lite"...which is a good thing for me.

With any grand strategy game I've always waited for a patch or two since there is so many elements to successfully tie together.

So...I'm curious about opinions from players that have experience with both TOF and HOI3...(WITP and WITE are too hardcore for my tastes...PC too "beer and pretzels approach).

When will the next patch come out?

What is the current wargaming experince with TOF...still need another patch or two...solid AI...easy-to-play and hard-to-master?

TXS for any insights.
doomtrader

RE: Potential Buyer

Post by doomtrader »

The 1.01 patch is already ready and can be released any moment, we are already working on another patch and couple more features and functionalities, to be added.

Also a 'Small Europe Scenario' is under development and should be available just after the patch 1.02 will be released
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of this game. Have done some AARs showing what a blast I have playing it.

For me it has that 'just right' place between too much abstraction and too much detail.

You said that a 'lite HOI3' would be what you are looking for. ToF pretty much fits that bill, albeit being a turn-based game.

The current state of the game, with the 1.1 patch (I'm playing the 1.1 beta) is stable and to me, not needing a ton of future patches. There's always something I'd like to see changed, but it's a great game as is.

buchand

Post by buchand »

I tried HOI but couldn't get on with it at all but love TOF. I'm also a big fan of WITE - but I do ignore most of the micro management.
Lots of replay possibility and I think this will be on the hard drive for a long time.
Maybe the most balanced game [as opposed to simulation] around.
Plan? What plan? Attack!!
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

HOI and ToF differ in one key aspect... ToF is actually playable. HOI just bogs down and is essentially unplayable. While more playable ToF's predecessor Time of Wrath didn't quite make the grade (for me at any rate) but came close. ToF has matured the concept into something workable and fun to play. I have been happy to point out flaws (see my posts...) in ToF but it remains at present the best game in this niche. Yea Lots wrong, but lots right as well. I have got a lot of good play out of the game and am looking forward to enhancements. While playing the AI has run its course for me (AI is usually pretty weak in this genre)I got a few enjoyable games in and the PBEM works pretty well.[:D]
"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Good community and developer support.
Hours o' fun game play.
- the decision is a no-brainer

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Can't comment on HOI, never got into it, but ToF has been very enjoyable. Fun to play, but that doesn't mean simple, you can make it as deep as you want. Custom maps, sprites and icons included in the game. User mods flowing, with game features adjustable, so there is the option to tweak the game to your taste.

There are things in the game which don't seem quite right, but there is much that works well. The best game is the one you play, it doesn't matter how good a game might be if it's just too arduous to play. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

Patch is out and is very significant improvement, particularly for game balance. Not much experience yet with the patch but the Fall Gleb scenario is showing me that the Paper Mache Maginot line has been changed to concrete... which is a good step in the right direction. Overall I have a very positive impression of ToF. The main weakness now is the naval rules.
"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"
battlevonwar

Post by battlevonwar »

This is Lite along lines with HOI3. The Multi Player turn based feature is what I have come for and the balance is coming along.(AI is fun for make a few turns) You would not do bad in buying, so far the Programmer has kept up with requests to update. She is progressing steadily too. I doubt there will be a more detailed ETO out that is hex based for some time.

Return to “Time of Fury”