How to bag the Lexington with 1 x 250kg bomb

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Cavalry Corp

How to bag the Lexington with 1 x 250kg bomb

Post by Cavalry Corp »

End March 42 PBEM SCN, 2 day turns

Enterprise and Lex accidently find Shokaku alone ( looking for surface raiders aopposing Ambon landing) but at 9 hex range - Allied planes attack a variety of closer targets no reaction. I expect to loose my CV.

At 9 hex range LEX is hit by one AP bomb from a Kate, no critical hit or anything. Just North of Darwin.
My opponent said the following ...

Bomb hit was Day 1 of 2 day cycle - End of two days 20 sys and a little fire ?? air ops still possible, remember there was NO CRITICAL hit . opponent sees no immediate need to return to port or take aircraft off.

day 3 50 sys and big fires - no air ops

day 5 96 sys 66 flt and big fires

days 6 sinks

I have never seen a sinking like this before.
GreyJoy

RE: How to bag the Lexington with 1 x 250kg bomb

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: cavalry

Enterprise and Lex accidently find Shokaku alone ( looking for surface raiders aopposing Ambon landing) but at 9 hex range - Allied planes attack a variety of closer targets no reaction. I expect to loose my CV.

At 9 hex range LEX is hit by one AP bomb from a Kate, no critical hit or anything. Just North of Darwin.

Bomb hit was Day 1 of 2 day cycle - End of two days 20 sys and a little fire ?? air ops still possible, remember there was NO CRITICAL hit . opponent sees no immediate need to return to port or take aircraft off.

[X(][X(]...a series of terrible dice and roll in the damage controll system....really bad luck[:o]

days 6 sinks

[X(]
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

opponent sees no immediate need to return to port or take aircraft off

Here lies the faulty assumption ...[;)] I think once damage gets over 10% its starts affecting operations at the very least so at first opportunity it was time to get home ..2 day turns hurt because of the time between feedback .. even more of a reason to withdraw in retrospect .. The situation also suggests that she stayed at mission speed?

I have has a xAP suffer a similar fate from a single medium shell hit from a IJN AMC ... 20 sys .. small fire .. big fire .. burn to waterline and sink .. one day turns ..
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Remember a ship on fire cannot disband so 2 day turns made no diff.

I will ask about the speed.
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

Remember a ship on fire cannot disband so 2 day turns made no diff.

I will ask about the speed.

I was not thinking disband . I was thinking getting to a port period .. no movement .. a better change of putting out a small fire .. the sooner to get into cruise mode .. the better chance of survival ...2 turns of mission speed does not help ..
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Could Darwin help put out a fire? What is the criteria for a port to help put out a fire?
I would have though a ship in port on fire is a big liability?

I will ask about the speed as I said
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Mission speed certainly increases the chance of further damage or hindering existing damage control efforts. As a rule of thumb it is always better to reduce to cruise speed whenever possible.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Probably a 800Kg. AP Bomb.

That, with a moderately bad die roll will put any US CV down.
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
rjopel

Post by rjopel »

They must have been reading the IJN damage control manuals instead on the USN ones.
Ryan Opel
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Sounds very much like your opponent forgot to set cruise speed and maybe plotted a destination hex which activated full speed moves
with mission speed setting, or had full speed set.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

do you have the setting to whatever the setting is.. omg, that allows for better US fire and damage control?
seriously a puker! I hate that stuff when its my ships, and rejoice when stuff like that, or ships running into each other etc, happen to the enemy!
"Tanks forward"
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

If it was an 800kg AP, that is a big boom.  Still, I have never seen an allied capital ship go down with only one.  In fact the opposite is more the truth ... 5 torps, 6 bombs and the sucker shows up again in 3 months.  [;)]  That's what I usually see.  Oh, and that line in Tracker :"_____ falsely reported sunk."  You think????  [:@]

[:D][:D][:D]
Pax
Miller

Post by Miller »

Kates do not carry 800kg bombs on naval attack, ever. Normal range a torp, extended range 2 x 250kg bombs. Are you sure your opponent is not trying to fool you?
Disco Duck

Post by Disco Duck »

days 6 sinks

I have lost the Lexington or was it the enterprise the same way before. Small damage that just go worse and worse and worse. Mission speed. One day per turn. It couldn't even make it ten hexes to port.[&:]
There is no point in believing in things that exist. -Didactylos
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

Mission speed. One day per turn

The plan is to get to cruise speed .. mission speed bad .. full speed == doom ..[;)]
Rob Brennan UK

Post by Rob Brennan UK »

Getting a burning ship into port and disbanded is definitely going to help . I've had an AP burning merrily in Buna for 8 days now and its still afloat (oddly).
sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

I lost one of the President class AP's just a few turns ago like that. It took a 100kg hit from a Zero just based at Baker Island, and there was very little damage. The next day I noticed it was slowing down (headed back to Pearl from SWPac, early '42), and when I checked, it had 30+ System, 40+ Flotation and 30+ fires on it. It sank the next day; obviously something went badly wrong after that lone bomb hit...
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

The first turn was mission because it was a two day cycle after that it was cruise . He said he needed to move away from my CV .

I see all the planes lost on the sreen ( that same turn - not realistic is it?) and he admitted it - also got the gurging sounds

It is listed as sunk by 250kg AP bomb - it was a 9 hex naval attack

M
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

Did the Damage Control Officer try to put out the fires by flooding the ship?
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Well, WitP (with us players behind it) simulates damage control on a couple of 1000´s of ships per day.

Seems like you hit the jackpot this time. Congrats. [:)]

Damage control varies greatly with a huge dose of luck. Still I think he might have saved her by going cruise speed at
once.

This happened a year ago in my PBEM:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Marcus Island at 129,86

BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 8, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Tennessee was heavily damaged (49sys/91flt), so I thought she would sink immediately.
In truth I was able to nurse her slowly back in direction of Midway for more than two weeks, until she sank about 200nm from
safety.

Return to “The War Room”