Simple Scenario for Learning?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

rfrizz

Simple Scenario for Learning?

Post by rfrizz »

I have looked, but I have not been able to find a simple scenario to learn the game. I don't understand why the tutorial is the whole Korean war -- gotta learn to walk before you can run.

I'd like to start with a simple infantry v. infantry, and then gradually move up to more complex scenarios.

Any ideas?
1_Lzard

RE: Simple Scenario for Learning?

Post by 1_Lzard »

Sounds like your looking for one of the WW1 scenarios in the 'classic' folder. Your best bet would be one of them with only 10-15 turns. These are all infantry and artillery, and as basic as it gets.

Good luck!
"I have the brain of a Genius, and the heart of a Little Child. I keep them in a jar under my bed!"
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Kamerad,

sounds like you're the ideal test candidate for my tutorialm scenario including slides :) Have a look at the Gefechtsstand; I am sure you are going to like it. &see screenshot*

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
Tutorial_1Custom.jpg
Tutorial_1Custom.jpg (156.44 KiB) Viewed 92 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

The tutorial is just to show how to do the basics, like move and attack. You aren't expected to play the entire scenario.

For that, I still consider my "Waterloo 1815" scenario the best beginner scenario.

But be sure to read its analysis AAR first:

tm.asp?m=1567752
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Here's another one to look at :

http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenar ... 96-Remagen

and for a little more complexity :

http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenar ... 795-Arnhem

Both were designed to be simple scenarios.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Try Arrancourt under the classic TOAW directory, or whatever it is called. Crete is another small one.

This game is still designed to piss off beginners.
ogar

Post by ogar »

I have looked, but I have not been able to find a simple scenario to learn the game. I don't understand why the tutorial is the whole Korean war -- gotta learn to walk before you can run.

I'd like to start with a simple infantry v. infantry, and then gradually move up to more complex scenarios.

Well, that sounds like a good plan. And the suggestions above, Curtis, Klink, L'zard are all good starts.

I'll add -- "Read the AARs" -- even about the scenarios that are too big or not your favorite era; a good AAR will write about why and how the player tried something, and you can learn things reading about Mideast conflicts in 1990's that applies to your trying to win the St Mihiel scenario.

But you do learn by playing --
if you want WWI era, look for Balkans 12 and Balkans 13 in the Classic folder. Hint - play as the Bulgarians, it's more fun.
Look at Cherbourg (also in Classic) - play as the Allies, set the air to AS or CS and forget about them; it's a 3 yards and a cloud of dust (or rather 2.7 meters and a mouthful of bocage)

or try 1 of the first 5 Road to Moscow scenarios in WWII East Front folder. Play as the Germans, and set the air units and forget them.

For any scenario that does not state in its scenario header that is designed or written for TOAW 3.4, then I suggest setting New Supply Rules to OFF, and New Turn Order to OFF (play options, page 2 from the main menu). You could get a surprise playing an older scenario with those ON, while the basic game is still good.
rfrizz

Post by rfrizz »

Oberst_Klink wants ME to be his guinea pig? Gaaaaaah!

That's what newbies are for, right?
rfrizz

Post by rfrizz »

Thank you for all for the replies. It will be a while before I can really dig in (other stuff to do IRL) but I hope to get the mechanics down, plus some basic "tricks of the trade."

This is what forums are for -- from games to guns (yeah, I do pistols and rifles - .45s, M1 Garands, and M1 Carbines) and forums are of unlimited value to beginners AND old hands.

Again, thank y'all!
rfrizz

Post by rfrizz »

Col Klink -

Please forgive my ignace, but I kain't figger out how to d/l the tutorial. Did you mean to attach it to your post w/ the jpg?

Please advise...
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

see PM.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
rfrizz

Post by rfrizz »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

see PM.

Klink, Oberst
(

Thank you, but PM didn't make it through. Please resend.
rfrizz

Col. Klink

Post by rfrizz »

Total aside, and you may know this....
Werner Klemperer was a Jew. In fact pretty much all of the major German characters were played by Jews.

Werner Klemperer had a clause in his contract that required all of Klink's schemes to fail.
Oberst_Klink

RE: Col. Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Klemperer was not, but Robert Clary aka Corporal LeBeau and John Banner aka Sgt. Schultz were. Anyway. They dubbed the show in German and it was funnier than the 'original' :)

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
ogar

Post by ogar »

Getting back to the original post, the lack/sparseness of tutorials and beginner material :

I wonder if we could collect some of these suggestions into a more stable list. That does not consitute a guide or tutorials such as Klink's or Bob's or Larry F's, but it does give beginners a place to start.

And before I forget (again !) here are two more smaller scenarios that I think are good for beginners --
Klink's own 48 PanzerKorps over at the http://gefechtsstand.wordpress.com/

and Mauro's Mt Belvedere scenario about the Brazilians and 10th Mtn Div in Italy in 1945 at Rugged Defense
http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenar ... off&Id=793

Both of these are mostly infantry with supporting armor and artillery, small in map and small in numbers of units. They are not dumbed-down scenarios, but I think they are focused enough for beginners to start working on without being overwhelmed by 1250 units per side and/or 599 events firing.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Guys,

Actually there is an alternative to learning with just small or simple scenarios.

Choose any scenario you like as long as both sides are PO programmed. Have the Air Staff Assistant on. Choose a side and the number of formations you want to control. Let Elmer Assist control everything else.

As an example: Suppose you choose Europa 1947 (not exactly what you might consider a beginner's scenario), choose the Allies, on your first turn set the British 7th Corp to manual and play the entire scenario as the commander of the British 7th Corp with PO Assist handling everything else.

I am using the British 7th Corp just as an example. You could choose any formation or any combination of formations you like.

You might decide to play all the French forces in the scenario and let PO Assist handle the Americans, the Commonwealth, and the Soviet forces. If you win you can bask in the glory that is France. If you lose you can always blame les Yanks, les Brits, et les Commies.

It has the advantage of true role playing. The disadvantages are that you must give up overall control of everything (and I suspect that most wargammers are control freaks). There is a further disadvantage if you select a monster in that you spend a lot of time just watching the computer play itself but then you need not restrict youself just to monsters.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”