Best American Football Games for PC?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Max 86

Best American Football Games for PC?

Post by Max 86 »

Was wondering what football games for the PC are the best? I have tried Max FB and Front Office Football and just do not like either one very much for different reasons. Madden games are too arcade like with outrageous stats.

Making an entertaining football sim for the PC seems to be a difficult task. Are there any out there other than what I have mentioned.

Thanks for any feedback.[:)]

No problem Chief!
Grim.Reaper

RE: Best American Football Games for PC?

Post by Grim.Reaper »

Here are a few you could try. Personally, out of these I enjoy ActionPC Football the best. Most of these focus on strategy, versus graphics and are more text based.

ActionPC Football - Season Replay
http://www.dksports.com/

Second and Ten - Season Replay
http://www.secondandten.com/

Football Mogul - Career Mode, Scaled Down Version of Front Office Football
http://www.sportsmogul.com/

Professional Football Simulator - Not sure how to describe this one, one of the newer ones
http://www.barcodegames.com/

Strat-o-matic football - Popular, but I haven't played it
http://www.strat-o-matic.com/
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

Thanks a lot. There are more than I thought. I'm sure i will find one of these will suit my tastes. Other than Mogul I had not heard of these. Way Cool.
No problem Chief!
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: Max 86

Thanks a lot. There are more than I thought. I'm sure i will find one of these will suit my tastes. Other than Mogul I had not heard of these. Way Cool.

Good luck. I would be interested in which one you decide to try.
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

I am leaning towards your recommendation for ActionPC FB. It has the functionality I am looking for.

From what I saw, Action PC deluxe comes with the 2009 season and 24 championship teams but you can mix and match players from different teams. Is that correct? Then you have to purchase any other seasons separately? Price for deluxe pkg - $44 USD.

Also am intrigued by Pro Football Simulator. Pro Football Simulator seems to be the same genre/functionality as PCAction FB but at $25 USD is much cheaper. However, I can't tell yet how many historical rosters/players come with the initial purchase. I am going to email the contact person to find out more. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks again Grim. Funny that I googled Football Games for PC and only FOF and assorted soccer games showed up.

Not sure if either has digital download service yet.
No problem Chief!
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

Each of these have a demo so recommend you check them out first. Actionpc doesn't have a demo but they have a no questions asked policy of allowing returned games for 30 days which is great for evaluation.
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

Regarding Professional Football Simulator here is the response from the main guy when asked about players/rosters and digital download:

"You can import any number of players using various CSV files. Some historical players have been made available from other members of the community. There are also modern player lists and 2010 draft imports that I've seen

You can download the game at any time and play the demo. You can find it at http://www.barcodegames.com
The demo is free to download and install and will let you play a couple of seasons for free. You can purchase at any time and use the activation key to unlock the game to allow unlimited seasons.

And yes, you can import any number of CSV files with various players from the past and present. You can drop them all into a free agent pool or you can drop them into a draft pool. You could assign them teams in the CSV or just let them get drafted and then make trades between teams to get it how you want."

Sounds interesting. I am going to download the demo and give it a try.

No problem Chief!
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

I tried the demo for PFS but just didn't think it measured up to the more mature games. I think over time it could become a very good game, I just kind of sense it might be more of a hobby for the creator versus something that will thrive for years to come. Just my opinion.

For past seasons, you can't beat ActionPC since they have all seasons from the 20's and on. Of course, there is a cost associated with them too. The same company also has games for basketball, baseball, and recently hockey. I really enjoy the hockey game and problem the best of the bunch.
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

My problem with a lot of these games is that they are single-season specific, and I've always been much more interested in a multiple season franchise.

There are several very solid games like that for baseball, but for some reason they aren't numerous for pro football.
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

My problem with a lot of these games is that they are single-season specific, and I've always been much more interested in a multiple season franchise.

There are several very solid games like that for baseball, but for some reason they aren't numerous for pro football.

Very true...basically have the choice between Front Office Football and Football Mogul. It is stranage that no other competition has ever come out. Seems like a good product like OOTP for baseball would dominate this area if someone released it. Or if Front Office Football would just come out in a more modern interface with a few more bells/whistles, it could do it.
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

Very true...basically have the choice between Front Office Football and Football Mogul. It is stranage that no other competition has ever come out. Seems like a good product like OOTP for baseball would dominate this area if someone released it. Or if Front Office Football would just come out in a more modern interface with a few more bells/whistles, it could do it.

Yeah, I thought Maximum FB would be that game but development of the engine has stalled for some time now.
No problem Chief!
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
bean5671

Post by bean5671 »

the reason the NFL PC market is dry is EA sports has the deal with the NFL intill that deal is over 2012 i dont think you will see a ton of these games
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abraham Lincoln
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

However, all these games do have real players included. The team names and logos are usually excluded but each game has easy ways to change that.
Christojoa

Post by Christojoa »

wats the activation code?
christooo
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

IIRC, you do not need a code for the demo but once you purchase the game they will email the activation code.
No problem Chief!
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

There's still Madden 08. The last one of the series that is PC.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
oldbaldwargamer

Post by oldbaldwargamer »

Front Office Football for sure. Spreadsheetish but a great, very deep, football game.
allisonhadsell

Post by allisonhadsell »

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

Professional Football Simulator - Not sure how to describe this one, one of the newer ones

This one is really cool[8D]
gaming is ma life "_"
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

ORIGINAL: oldbaldwargamer

Front Office Football for sure. Spreadsheetish but a great, very deep, football game.

Very true. Just no fun to look at. I played this one the most and it became too bland and tedious after awhile. I think it would be ideal for the engine of a game that drives some sort of visual component. It seems that these games all lack graphics and the one football game that has the graphics is so arcade like that it produces outrageous states which is a major buzz kill.

I see this thread has over 25000 views in 3 years and that tells me there is a demand for this type of game but we haven't seen the Holy Grail game yet.

No problem Chief!

Return to “General Discussion”