"Balanced" Ironman for PBEM

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

AcePylut

"Balanced" Ironman for PBEM

Post by AcePylut »

Was wondering if anyone with intimate knowledge of the Ironman OOB could answer this question...

If we were to fire up Ironman PBEM with the following options...

1) Soviets active from the start, and 'enter the war' at a time of the Allied choosing, but not later than June 31, 42.
2) Allied ship respawn
3) Allied PP per turn = 60

how imbalanced would that be?

Not afraid to add or remove options... like "Jap must trigger the 'home guard' troops of 1 (or 2?) of the following: India, Oz, West Coast, NZ.

Just thinking around for a different scenario.
Andy Mac

RE: "Balanced" Ironman for PBEM

Post by Andy Mac »

Ouch thats a hard one that would be a VERY hard scenario for an allied player the economic impacts are probably the most unbalancing

e.g. to make the AI cometitive and not waste ships bases like Tinian, Saipan Guam, Kwaj, Truk etc all get Light industry and resources to allow some local supply generation (the Ai wasteas a lot of ships in stock scenarios supplying these bases - I suspect one of the reasons in stock for resource sites to produce supply to minimise AI death spirals)

Also a LOT of extra factories in the HI and some more Oil etc.

The only real outright cheat i.e. unbombable resources I gave the Japanese AI in that scen was the 1000 per day supply and fuel at Tokyo - as a minimum you would need to remove that 'free' extra daily allowance.

If I was going to do it I would probably take 'some' of the Allied Ironman aspects into the scenario and play it withdrawals OFF

I think you would also need to unrestrict some Allied LCU's

Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

I probably wouldnt go down the route of respawning I would just add a few more ships to the Allied OOB probably borrowed from Ironman Allied. maybe tone down some of the economy cheats assuming you wanted to play with the new toys.

I think without modification to the allied side the following things would make it unbalanced.

1. Pilot quality.
2. Aircraft pools (allies dont get enough to deal with the losses they would suffer)
3. Device pools same.

Don't get me wrong this is all fixable I just never thought 2 mad players would want to PBEM the Ironman scenario.

If there was genuine interest int his I could probably knock up a version that was fair for both sides quicky - it would be a MAD game but I could do it in an hour or so if you really wanted to try it 
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

I had a crack at a variant of that one just for a laugh its on the scenario thread
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Andy,

I am taking a whack at it too as allied in PBEM.

TOUGH!!! Real TOUGH!!!

Just the way I like it. I agree with and foresaw the need for no allied withdrawals. The japs will take much more. Still, the math still works out for the allies if they can survive relatively intact through 42. Dont know that I can do that, but I will certainly try.

I love it. Good work.
Andy M

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”