Open Call for Beta Testers

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

Joel Billings

Open Call for Beta Testers

Post by Joel Billings »

After publishing 30 wargames covering battles of the 20th century, Gary Grigsby finally decided to design a game set earlier in history. You can always count on Gary to come up with some unique design ideas, and here's your chance to be a part of Gary's first pre-20th century design.

After being in alpha testing since January, we're now ready to move on to beta testing. We're looking for some new testers that are willing to put in time to learn and test the game during the beta stage, which should last between 3 to 6 months. We have a core group of about a half dozen alpha testers but would like to add to that. Although there are a few additional features we hope to sneak in at the end, testers will be focused on learning the game so they can identify bugs and assist us in balancing the victory conditions.

WBTS is a monthly turn based game with area movement covering the entire American Civil War. You can play either side against the AI or via Play by Email. Its interface is a descendent of the one used in World at War. This game is more complicated than World at War, and has many unique rules that will be new to most wargamers. This is not an easy game to learn how to play well, however we do have a good first draft of the manual and 16 video tutorials (almost an hour of video) that will help you learn the game.

If you are interested in becoming a Beta tester, please email karlisr@matrixgames.com. Please list your experience with computer and board wargames, especially those covering the Civil War. Please indicate roughly how much time you can devote to testing on average each week. We're hoping to sign up new testers by early next week.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Erik Rutins

RE: Open Call for Beta Testers

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone,

Just a small change - please e-mail karlisr@matrixgames.com if you'd like to help test Gary Grigsby's War Between the States. Please also note in your e-mails what your hardware specs are and why you'd like to help us test this game.

Thanks!

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

For those of you that emailed 2by3, no worries. I've sent your emails along to Karlis. For specs, you need to have at least 512MB of RAM and a stand alone video card (not a built in Intel card) with at least 32MB of memory (128MB is better).
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Gatto

Post by Gatto »

Hi,
I've send my application mail for being one of the beta testers team in the 4 oct. Could I know if the happy few have been already choosen? Can I still hope for a call? The wait is exhausting...[:(]
Thanks
Silvio Melani (Gatto)
Silvio Melani
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Be patient, they get busy at matrix games, It took me 8 working days. If you want in, and meet some the basic questions, you'll most likely get it. We've had quite a roll off of testers over the last 8 months. Out of 24 we started with were down to 8, and about 4 are active every day. But we went through some rough Alpha testing. As Joel stated, this game has a high learning curve, but with the new tutorials it should speed up the learning process alot. It will be worth the wait, it's a great game...

[8D]
Jon
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

ORIGINAL: Gatto

Hi,
I've send my application mail for being one of the beta testers team in the 4 oct. Could I know if the happy few have been already choosen? Can I still hope for a call? The wait is exhausting...[:(]
Thanks
Silvio Melani (Gatto)

I did not get an email from you at 2by3. Did you send it to the 2by3 or the karlisr email address? If you tried to send it to 2by3, I suggest you resend it but this time send it to karlisr@matrixgames.com. I passed the emails I got at 2by3 onto Karlis and he sent out the Non-Disclosure Agreements late last week. I'm just waiting to hear back that the NDA's have been returned in order to get the new testers started.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Gatto

I'm sure you're fine - that was Thursday, this is Monday - if you haven't heard back yet, I expect you will today. If you haven't heard back today, please re-send your application in case it was not received.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Gatto

Post by Gatto »

I'm sure you're fine - that was Thursday, this is Monday - if you haven't heard back yet, I expect you will today. If you haven't heard back today, please re-send your application in case it was not received.
[/quote][/quote]

Thanks Erik
for your quick and encouraging answer. I will wait for the events untill tomorow. If it will be necessary I will send my application again.
Thanks again very much
Sil[:)]
Silvio Melani
ArticFire

Post by ArticFire »

resent mine as well in case the first time it was lost for some reason as I've not heard back either.
"The true measure of a hero is one who would lay down their lives in full knowledge that the people they save would never know their sacrifice"
Gatto

Post by Gatto »

Hello!
Any news about the beginning of the beta testing? I fret with impatience...[8|]
Silvio Melani
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Karlis has sent out all the NDA agreements and we're just waiting for testers to return them and come into the dev forum as they get set up.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Gatto

Post by Gatto »

Hello!
I've sent my NDA agreement by fax the 10/10/2007. I would like to know if You've received it without problems. I've writte one or two mails to Karlis about that but I didn't receive any answer. I hope I'm not (because of a missed fax) the cause of this delay... Forgive my insistence, but I'm very proud to have been chosen for this job and I wish to avoid the unfortunate event of losing it because of a stupid dud fax.
Thanks for Your attention and best regards
Silvio Melani (Gatto)
Silvio Melani
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Silvio when you log in have you checked if you have available the WBTS development forum, it's at the bottom of all others, if so your NDA got through and was aproved.
Rafael

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
tgb

Post by tgb »

Are all the beta testers slots full?
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Yes, we've got enough for now, thanks.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”