Harpoon

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

comicscars

Harpoon

Post by comicscars »

Anyone know when Harpoon Classic and Harpoon 3/4 are being relesed?
Raverdave

RE: Harpoon

Post by Raverdave »

G'day and welcome to the forum !

With the still-birth of Harppon 4 I was kinda hoping that Matrix wouyld pick up the title, but so far nothing has been publicly said on this[:(].

So in the meantime your best bet would be to go to the following two sites:-

www.harpoonhq.com

http://advancedgaming.biz/index.php?cev ... view&id=71

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
comicscars

Post by comicscars »

Somewhere recetly, I had a PDF of some upcoming Matrix games and it included both Harpoon 4 and Harpoon Classic. Can't find it presently, but I'm sure I didn't dream it. It's also posted on one of the Harpoon sites that Matrix has picked up the game. I'm looking forward to playing again, but I was holding off purchasing the current game because of the impending (?) update.
Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

ORIGINAL: Wargamer web site
Harpoon – Commander’s Edition and Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare to be added to Matrix catalog.

Sources close to the matter have revealed to The Wargamer that Advanced Gaming Systems' Harpoon line of products will be re-published by Matrix Games. Two of the classic naval simulation games will be re-released: Harpoon Classic will be renamed Harpoon – Commander’s Edition and will feature improved AI and database elements. It is unclear how this game is related to the "Harpoon Classic 2005" game mentioned on the AGS web site. The more recent Harpoon 3 will be published by Matrix Games as Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare, updated with multiplayer functionality.

http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=1831

As it from the Wargamer, I think you can assume that they've got Matrix's plans correct. [:D]
Bodhi
Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

Forgot to add that the date of posting that on Wargamer.com was Sunday, March 20, 2005. Also the last sentence reads: The Wargamer will have further details on this new development in the Harpoon series in the weeks ahead.
Bodhi
51st Highland Div

Post by 51st Highland Div »

Ah Harpoon..now that was a naval wargame.Just loved the formation editor..especially when in command of a CVBG putting out the CAPs ASW etc....[:D]
https://i.ibb.co/SRBTPGK/hmsglasgowmatrix.jpg

The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Banner thanks to RogueUSMC
bradclark1

Post by bradclark1 »

Last I heard Advanced Gaming Systems' people were supposed to see if they could do anything with it but that was last year. I haven't heard anything further.

Brad
hermanhum

Post by hermanhum »

ORIGINAL: comicscars

I'm looking forward to playing again, but I was holding off purchasing the current game because of the impending (?) update.
Someone else asked me the same thing, recently. He wondered if it would be prudent to postpone his purchase of Harpoon until after they are released.

Personally, I will suggest buying it now. Harpoon3 is pretty stable and works well. Sure, she has her warts (like any game), but most can be worked around once you know what they are.

Harpoon3 - Advanced Naval Warfare is an unknown quality. It looks as though there will be almost no difference between buying H3 and then upgrading to H3 ANW or waiting for it to be released as a complete package. See the message here.

The difference in price (if there is going to be any difference), will likely be neglible or non-existent. Probably less than the cost of lunch. Meanwhile, you could be playing all the great scenarios while you wait for the ANW release, so why deny or postpone your pleasure? You can practice on H3 solitaire so that when the MP version is released, you will be GOOD and can really kick butt against human opponents. [;)]

If you are interested in the Harpoon Classic Commanders Edition (the other branch of Harpoon games), there was talk that all current owners of Harpoon Classic 2002 owners (the current version being sold by AGSI) would get a FREE upgrade to the HCCE version when it is released. Of course, this won't be confirmed until it is officially released, but I know that I read words to this effect.

Cheers,
Herman

P.s. And, no, I don't own shares or have any financial interest in AGSI. I just love the games
sabre100

Post by sabre100 »

Hi Herman -

Do you know if H3 ANW will have all new scenarios or are they the same as in the current H3 package? Also do you have a listing of the current H3 Scenario names?

Thanks
hermanhum

Post by hermanhum »

I'm just an observer, but I don't think that there will be a huge offering of new scenarios from the company. I would be very surprised (and very pleased) if AGSI published a bunch of new scenarios with the release of ANW. New scenarios appear to be left in the hands of community members to write. From what little I have read, Harpoon 3 scenarios can be played on the new release, ANW, but scenarios created by the new ANW Scenario Editor cannot be run on the existing H3 game engine.

I don't think that there will be a shortage of scenarios for ANW. Most designers appear to be pretty dedicated to their craft and I think that it would be safe to say that they will likely make their scenarios playable for the new ANW game engine.

You can find H3 scenarios on a bunch of different fan sites. Each site has a little something different in their offerings. Check them out at:

StrategyZone Online

HarpGamer

FilesOfScenShare

Harpoon Headquarters

Hillier's

Slightly older Harpoon2 scenarios can still be found at Dr. Who's Harpoon Pages.
Slick91

Post by Slick91 »

ORIGINAL: comicscars

Anyone know when Harpoon Classic and Harpoon 3/4 are being relesed?

Don’t get this upcoming release of Harpoon mixed up with a “Harpoon 4”. The references of a “Harpoon 4” are dead because of the old licensing issues (I think) that Larry Bond (et al) had with UbiSoft.

If I understand the planning of things correctly, virtually all work is focused on getting these updated releases of Harpoon Classic and Harpoon 3 out the door. Then, work should begin in earnest on "The Next Harpoon", which will be a brand new game that will combine the best of both versions as well as new features (all TBD at this point). However, this game is in the early, early planning stages so don’t hold you wallet or breath in anticipation of a release in the near future. A publisher for The Next Harpoon has not been named (as far as the public is concerned - and no, I don't have any inside info).
Slick
-----------------------------
"Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne
Splusmer

Post by Splusmer »

Thought I'd give this thread a "bump" since there hasn't been any traffic in over a month. I'm a bit surprised this hasn't gotten a forum section of its own.
Cmdrcain

Post by Cmdrcain »

Humm... Theres already a Harpoon Classic... it was put out by alliance, I have it on my PC...

Harpoon Classic was Original Harpoon with some bugs cleaned up and graphics spiffed a bit so like land became "greeN" instead of the drab Black..

[:D]
Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!
Battlestar Pegasus
hermanhum

Post by hermanhum »

ORIGINAL: Cmdrcain

Humm... Theres already a Harpoon Classic... it was put out by alliance, I have it on my PC...

Harpoon Classic was Original Harpoon with some bugs cleaned up and graphics spiffed a bit so like land became "greeN" instead of the drab Black..
Someone call my name?! [:D]

The latest Harpoon Classic iteration has a lot more than just a change of land colour. Just to mention a few features: Area ECM is now activated, the Western Pacific theatre has been added, and a Platform Editor has been included so that folks can create their own ships and units to see how things work. Along the way, they've stamped out quite a few bugs, too. [;)]
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

This is kinda funny and ironic and I don't know what. But, I normally don't like modern age warfare, it's too precise for the most part and I just loathe any historical naval warfare games, except Pirates. But, for some strange reason I loved the hell out of the first Harpoon game, I don't know what it was about it that suked me in, but, it's a blast to play. So, if/when Harpoon IV comes out I'll have to have a gander at it. In the meantime I'm going to a shrink to find out why this ironic like for modern naval warfare. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Return to “General Discussion”