To late to ask or not?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.
Dragonheart

To late to ask or not?

Post by Dragonheart »

Hi,
Finally after 2 years waiting i got this game. Although i read already almost the hole forum i have still some newb questions and i hope there is still someone arround. [&o]

Here my questions.

1) I got how this barge hub thing is working but it seems that in the first scenarios barges are not available. Is this correct?

2) My MSW´s never drop mines although in swallow water,set to retirement allowed,sailing from numea with Minewarefare missions. The odd thing is that i get a confirmation that it will perform minewarefare mission. But i never saw a mine so far like it is showed in some ports.
Is there anything special to do to get mines?

3) From where one can sent ships home to PH ..i never saw a buttom for this or is it this disband withdraw command? And how one can specify if i just wanna repair a ship or i wanna get another one.?

4) Supply is provided only to the main bases or is there any auto supply for some other bigger bases? Is there a chance to run out of supply in your main base?

5) What can be done ag low morale for your airunits. What are the negative and positive effects for morale?

6) How do you play? Every single day or do you skip several days? In bigger scenarios this would be hell to micromanage every single day.

7) I could not refuel my TF with my Oilers despite beeing in the same hex. How does this work?

8) In order to repair ships in any port to one have to disband the TF or one need just to dock the TF?

9) Where do i have to go for new ammo for my ships.....any port or do i have to go to the main bases.

thanks in advance ...i hope this forum is still somewhat alive....and i swear without reading alot there would have been much more questions. [:D]
Resisti

RE: To late to ask or not?

Post by Resisti »

Hi

I can reply only to part, but better than nothing ;)

So:

1)If playing the US side, barges are not available before mid 43, IIRC.

2)MSW are Mine Sweeper, so they only clean the ports from mines. You should use mine layers (ML or DM)

3)You have to come back to Noumea, then disband the unit, then enter the unit's screen and you'll find the "return to PH" button activated

4)Townsville for sure.

8)They repair when docked, too, but I THINK that disbanding them make the process faster.

9)Any port.
Federico "Resisti" Doveri
toraq

Post by toraq »

Try to answer some questions:

4) Supply is provided only to the main bases or is there any auto supply for some other bigger bases? Is there a chance to run out of supply in your main base?

Supply is provided in Truk, Noumea and Brisbane. No autosupply for the others.

5) What can be done ag low morale for your airunits. What are the negative and positive effects for morale?

Morale effects are many
a) In Level Bombers, their morale it´s checked everytime thay fly a mission. If it fails, 25% of the bombers stay down.
b) Fighters and bombers will turn back when attacked if their morale is low
c) I´m not sure but, the more morale you get, your pilots are more brave, thus shooting down more enemy aircraft or hitting enemy ships.
These are the morale effects more or less. Manual and updates manual detail this better than me.

6) How do you play? Every single day or do you skip several days? In bigger scenarios this would be hell to micromanage every single day.
Every single day. This is a longggg game [;)]

7) I could not refuel my TF with my Oilers despite beeing in the same hex. How does this work?
1) They have to carry fuel
2) They need op. points to replenish ships
3) Use the button "replenish TF at sea"
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

Another note on the air unit...and any other unit for that matter....morale, Malaria bases crater morale. The more support you have the less the effects but the malaria effects the support too. Rotate units out of the malaria zones every so often, keep them in plenty of supply and support.
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Dragonheart

Post by Dragonheart »

Thank you for the quick replies.

The thing with the oilers still doesnt work for me.....

1) They are loaded with fuel
2) They are in the same hex with the other fleet (set to follow)
3) Resplenish does only add fuel from the current fleet (from one ship to another) but does not reduce the oilers capacity

no idea if the oilers had still ops though .....to get Ops they should not move for one round i guess?
Resisti

Post by Resisti »

ORIGINAL: toraq

Supply is provided in Truk, Noumea and Brisbane. No autosupply for the others.

I found that Townsville doesn't need to be supplied, too. I can freely load my transports from there with no fear of running out of supply.
toraq

Post by toraq »

Dragonheart:

Yes, to get op. point they don´t have to move. Usually if one TK is in the same hex with another ship which is without fuel, it will replenish during the combat replay.
Make sure you press the button in the right TF (the one without fuel)

Resiti:

Good to know, but I currently hold Townsville and I need to send supplies there!. Anyway, I´ll check it out.
Resisti

Post by Resisti »

ORIGINAL: toraq
Resiti:

Good to know, but I currently hold Townsville and I need to send supplies there!. Anyway, I´ll check it out.
I don’t know if this is related to the specific scenario one’s playing or not.
Anyway, my findings are that, at least in “Yamamoto’s prophecy” and “The beginning ends”, Townsville doesn’t need to be supplied. That is a fact. I’m currently playing “the beginning ends” and since first turn I’m not supplying Townsville, and despite the fact that from there I supply Port Moresby, Gili Gili and Lae, Townsville’s supply level stays around 50k…

My guess is that it is receiving continous supply from Brisbane via the only MAIN ROAD present in the game.
It would be interesting to see if Rockhampton, too, acts the same; it could be a proof that my guess is right [:)]
Dragonheart

Post by Dragonheart »

BTW which are the most interesting Scens when playing the AI ...i still stick with the allied for the mom and wanna get my ass kicked by japan.[:D]

And for the near future....where do i find human opponents?

How long to you play when you play your top-scenarios via Email.....1 Turn a day would give almost 2 years[X(]....
timtom

Post by timtom »

To Dragonheart: Welcome to our exclusive circle, now that the big boys have moved on to WITP. UV is a great game, and much of the bitching you'll hear from me and others stem from its very high benchmark. In case you're not aware of it, there's a site here: http://mathubert.free.fr/ , with various mods and such.

PS if you're reading Toraq's AAR from our current game, don't believe anything you read. He's a cheat and a liar, and it's the only reason he's kicking my posterior! [;)]

To Resisti: Right on the money. This was introduced in one of the later patches, but my readme files from patches 2.10+ have gone AWOL, so maybe someone else could look it up. Anyway, bases on the main road draws supply - but not fuel - from Brisbane. This obviously means that if the road is cut, supply is cut also. I'm not sure about the bases connected by trail, but I believe not.
Where's the Any key?

Dragonheart

Post by Dragonheart »

@Timtom

I´m aware that i ´m coming a bit late to this game although i´m tracking it since almost two years...not only the price for it [;)] Finally i got it for just 10,- EUR in ebay.WITP will be even better but i dont have a problem to get a game later as there are so many great strategy games out and wanted to be played [:D]
Meanwhile i went back all posts in this forum and i think i got all details.....now i need some practice ag the AI and later i hope there are still some guys hanging arround for playing PBEM.
toraq

Post by toraq »

PS if you're reading Toraq's AAR from our current game, don't believe anything you read. He's a cheat and a liar, and it's the only reason he's kicking my posterior! [;)]

Since Timtom sends waves and waves of SBD to my 90 Zeroes CAP, I don´t need to cheat![;)]
marky

Post by marky »

lolz

ill be around for a PBEM

but i need sum practice before i do a PBEM tho[:D]
Resisti

Post by Resisti »

ORIGINAL: timtom
To Resisti: Right on the money. This was introduced in one of the later patches, but my readme files from patches 2.10+ have gone AWOL, so maybe someone else could look it up. Anyway, bases on the main road draws supply - but not fuel - from Brisbane. This obviously means that if the road is cut, supply is cut also. I'm not sure about the bases connected by trail, but I believe not.

I confirm: bases in Australia along the main road do NOT draws fuel automatically from Brisbane.
Same goes with supply to the most northern bases, connected by a tril only; so you have to keep Cooktown and Cairns kept supplied by your own.

Return to “The War Room”