XBOX vs PLAYSTATION 2

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Warfare1

XBOX vs PLAYSTATION 2

Post by Warfare1 »

I am thinking of buying a console.

So I was wondering which console is the better buy: XBOX or PLAYSTATION 2?

Which console has the best games that a wargamer would like to play? And in your opinion which are the best games to buy?

I would appreciate all of your views and opinions.

Thanks! [:)]
Drinking a cool brew; thinking about playing my next wargame....
Murky71

RE: XBOX vs PLAYSTATION 2

Post by Murky71 »

I have an xbox, but I only use it for sports titles (no thinking involved; racing and tennis). I may end up playing halo2. (As far as wargames go: the pc is the only way to go really.)

I can say that if you're looking for a good multiplayer experience the Xbox live service (annual or monthly fee) works pretty well. It has a friends list so you can see who is online and playing what and from it you can invite others to join you or join someone else. I've never even touched a playstation, so I can't comment on that. BTW lately I have mostly used it to watch dvd's. (dvd-kit sold seperately!)
GMT +1
Kevinugly

Post by Kevinugly »

I own an Xbox and find it technologically superior to the PS2. With the appropriate adaptor it is a fully functional dvd player. The built on hard in hard drive means you don't have to mess around with memory sticks plus it allows you to rip cds to create custom soundtracks for games or even let it function as a 'jukebox'. Graphically it's vastly superior to the PS2, games like Halo, Doom 3 or Half-Life 2 would never play on the PS2 but run happily on Xbox. It's also constructed far more solidly than the PS2.

Gaming-wise, there's little that would appeal to a true 'grognard' on either console. However, for those who like to take a break from the deep strategy of wargaming there are several Xbox games I'd recommend.

Shooters:- Halo (PC version is a poor port), Chronicles of Riddick, Max Payne 2
Tactical, squad based:- Rainbow Six Three, Full Spectrum Warrior, Brute Force
Fighting:- Soul Caliber 2, Dead Or Alive 3
Driving:- TOCA Race Driver 2, Burnout 3 (better graphics, smoother gameplay than PS2 version), Sega GT
Flying:- Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge, Secret Weapons Over Normandy

I'm sure other gamers could come up with alternative choices but all of the above are solid titles that are well worth checking out.
Thankyou for using the World Wide Web. British designed, given freely to the World.
Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

Thanks for the feedback fellas [:)]

Has anyone played the Medal of Honor titles?

Are they any good? What's the replay value?

I hear there is one for the Pacific coming out soon. . .
Kevinugly

Post by Kevinugly »

I've played 'MoH: Allied Assault' on the PC and hated it. They're very linear, very scripted in parts and don't appeal to me at all. However, they've been reviewed well elsewhere so don't take my word as bible. However, if you're looking for WW2 themed shooters then 'Call of Duty: Finest Hour' and 'Brothers in Arms' are both slated for release shortly.
Thankyou for using the World Wide Web. British designed, given freely to the World.
bostonrpgmania

Post by bostonrpgmania »

I purchased X box on its launching day
The only game that I fished was Halo
After that it is collecting dust...
I purchased PS2 when Sony reduced its price to 200
That was another mistakes
It is collecting dust again
I dont know
I really tried to like them especially after spending all those money on two (especially X box at launching price!!)
But I coudnt..........................................

However, even though it is not a wargame, closest one would be the romance of three kingdoms on PS 2
It is turn based strategy, battles of three kindoms of ancient china
Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

ORIGINAL: Kevinugly

I've played 'MoH: Allied Assault' on the PC and hated it. They're very linear, very scripted in parts and don't appeal to me at all. However, they've been reviewed well elsewhere so don't take my word as bible. However, if you're looking for WW2 themed shooters then 'Call of Duty: Finest Hour' and 'Brothers in Arms' are both slated for release shortly.

Yes, I had heard about the linear part. I guess that's one of the big problems with consoles: no modding - heheh

I heard Full Spectrum Warrior was supposed to be good. And Brothers In Arms is supposed to be a good tactical war game.

Thanks for the feedback.
Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

ORIGINAL: bostonrpgmania

I purchased X box on its launching day
The only game that I fished was Halo
After that it is collecting dust...
I purchased PS2 when Sony reduced its price to 200
That was another mistakes
It is collecting dust again
I dont know
I really tried to like them especially after spending all those money on two (especially X box at launching price!!)
But I coudnt..........................................

However, even though it is not a wargame, closest one would be the romance of three kingdoms on PS 2
It is turn based strategy, battles of three kindoms of ancient china

Why couldn't you like the consoles?

Was it due to the type of games? Or the way the console is setup?

Personally, I have gotten use to playing games on the PC - I guess it would feel a bit odd to be sitting so far away from the screen (via the TV).
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

No doubt about it, I would prefer a PC over console any day. I really don’t know why people invest money in consoles when they already have a computer. There is just no comparison between the performance of a PC with a decent graphics card, and a box that can’t be upgraded.

However, since I do know a bit about consoles I will say that given the choice to get, I would pick PS2. Why? Well I am a bit biased because I really dislike Microsoft for many things, though there are benefits to the PS2. First of all, the PS2 is really two consoles, as you can also play your PS1 games on it. What does Xbox play? Sorry, you’re just stuck with Xbox games. And that brings us to something else, look at the number of PS2 games, compared to Xbox. Why would you limit yourself to a few games? Then to top it off, if you include the PS1 as well as the PS2 wow, there is a lot of games there.

Hell, I find it very amusing how PS2 came with a DVD player years ago, and yet Xbox still doesn’t come with one. Oh wait that’s wrong, you can buy one if you pay 50 bucks extra. Sheesh, why not just save yourself another 50 bucks with PS2?

Ok, I will give Xbox one decent point. If I had a choice which console to develop for, I’d chose Xbox only because it was much easier for us to pull off special effects like reflections and there was more memory space to work it, and a little increase in your polys per second.

However, decent developers can make the PS2 game pretty close to the Xbox versions. And in many cases you will find better graphics in the PS2 versions, (indications that the developers got lazy with the Xbox portations).
Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…
Kevinugly

Post by Kevinugly »

Well Pippin I'd argue the toss nowadays over the significance of the PS2's ability to play old PS1 games. At launch then this mattered but today, why would you want to play them? Regarding the PS2's DVD player, yes it is built in but it hasn't got the functionality of the XBox one although, as you say, the Xbox one does come as an optional extra (mine was £15 - don't know how that translates to dollers but I'm guessing it's less than $50 [:)])
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

I have both but prefer the XBox. Don't expect much in the way of wargames, though, unless you consider FPS with a war tilt, like the 3 Vietnam games they released recenbtly and a few WW2 FPS's.

I prefer the xbox because of its online capability and its from an American company.

But I do own a PS2, the new small ones are very slick and there are a few games which only PS2 has which I must own, like GTA: San Andreas and the upcoming Gran Turismo 4.

For XBox, get Halo 2, get online, and enjoy the mayhem.
[center]Image[/center]
Paul Wykes

Post by Paul Wykes »

I`v just joined the "console club" and purchased an xbox, having posted a similiar question at a different forum. The answers were the same. The Xbox seems to be far superior than the playstation 2 in terms of capability, BUT the choice of games available is far less (due to the history that the playstation has). That is the case here in the UK anyway. One may argue that the xbox has fewer titles, but are generally of a superior quality, but thats subjective.

Oh, as for wargames. There is still only one choice...PC. Same goes for RPG and certain shooters. The expandability of the PC in its ability to download mods, levels, extra scenarios etc is what, I feel makes, PC gaming great. (not forgetting PBEM and multiplayer), that said, I love sitting down with the kids and played split screen Halo etc...
Embark

Post by Embark »

I owned an Xbox and PS2 and a Gamecube in the past. I sold the XBOX and gave the gamecube to my Nephew. Anything that they come out with on a console can be done just as good or better on a PC (with the exception of Sports Games which I don't play anyways). So I would just as soon use my PC for playing games. The only reason I kept my PS2 is as a backup DVD player if my other one got dirty or wouldn't work
The tragedy of war is that it uses man's best to do man's worst.
Henry Fosdick
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

I prefer the xbox because of its online capability and its from an American company.

Well I am not sure if patriotism of a products origin has anything to do with its technical and usability status. However I do know many people who refuse to touch an X-box because it is American. So I imagine your line of thinking goes hand in hand.

I am no different perhaps, as I admit I am very anti-Microsoft anything these days.

P.S. Did I mention, the PS2 controllers beat the crap out of the junker you get with Xbox?
Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Well I am not sure if patriotism of a products origin has anything to do with its technical and usability status.

This has nothing to do with patriotism, just trying to keep my money in this country as much as I can. If that is right or wrong is obviosly for the individual to decide.

I do prefer the XBox in every way to the PS2, except for a couple of standout games the PS2 offers. But being a gaming freak, I had to have both.
However I do know many people who refuse to touch an X-box because it is American. So I imagine your line of thinking goes hand in hand.

I am no different perhaps, as I admit I am very anti-Microsoft anything these days.

P.S. Did I mention, the PS2 controllers beat the crap out of the junker you get with Xbox?

No you did not mention that, but I value your opinion. The second coming of the xbox controller is very nice compared to the earlier ones, but this is certainly an area that PS2 is better, though not by as much as when released.

But, the complete package still belongs to the xbox. I know too many people who had serious technical issue with the PS2. I have yet to meet anyone who had any problems with the xbox.
[center]Image[/center]
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

A bit late to the party, but I would definitely say Xbox. [:)]

Not that I don't like the PS2, I love it and the new mini-version is sweet, but it's just that you get more with the Xbox. The PS2 is nothing more than a gamestationd/DVD player. The Xbox can be used for just about anything you use the PC for...except wargames.
Got StuG?
UndercoverNotChickenSalad

Post by UndercoverNotChickenSalad »

xbox is better for playing DVDs than ps2. xbox also has a colorstrream option for HDtv. If ya plan on using the contraption for watching DVD I get the xbox.

Its also made in America USA! USA! USA! but I ain't a nationalist like that peasant Mad Cow.
Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

Thanks for all the replies fellas.

There is quite a wide range of opinion, but many of you seem to be falling on the side of the XBOX.

It definitely is the more powerful of the two, although it doesn't have quite as many games. Still, more games doesn't necessarily mean better games, as I have no interest in playing many of the console games.

I still play wargames on my PC, but it is aging. It would probably cost me $1,000 bucks or more for a new PC, so I thought $200 bucks for a console would allow me to play many of the FPS and others for a relatively reasonable price. The new PC would be bought later (sheesh PC prices are falling all the time, and they are getting more powerful by the day - they now have 230 GiG harddrives).

At the moment I leaning towards the XBOX.

Have any of you found any personal favourites among the games the consoles offer?

I should state that I am a wargamer and I play traditional turn-based wargames and strategy games: Close Combat, TOAW, MTW, UV, Civ2, Imperialism, Heroes III, Dicsiples II, etc, etc.

Although I own and have played some RTS such as the AoE series. . .
EricGuitarJames

Post by EricGuitarJames »

In your position the Xbox would be a good choice. Why spend vast sums of money just to play 'Doom 3', 'Half-Life 2' and the like when you can buy an Xbox for a pittance and still get to play the games. If your old system is still up to playing the strategy games of your choice then why spend any more than you have to. 'Halo 2' has just come out and you should be able to get it as part of a 'bundle' with the console at a very good price.
It's Just a Ride!
Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

ORIGINAL: EricGuitarJames

In your position the Xbox would be a good choice. Why spend vast sums of money just to play 'Doom 3', 'Half-Life 2' and the like when you can buy an Xbox for a pittance and still get to play the games. If your old system is still up to playing the strategy games of your choice then why spend any more than you have to. 'Halo 2' has just come out and you should be able to get it as part of a 'bundle' with the console at a very good price.

This is what I was thinking.

My "old" PC is still going strong - heheh

Plus, PCs can be a pain in the butt sometimes - heheh

A console like the XBOX just works right outta the box - period. I can see the attraction of it. No configuration; no calls to tech; no repeated windows install, etc, etc. . .

When I was in EB the other day, someone was playing a demo of an XBOX hockey game, and the graphics and sound were so good, I actually thought it was a real hockey game on a TV at first.

So the graphics and a few good games would be worth it.

Has anyone played Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault? I saw it in the store today.

Thanks for all the helpful advice [:)]

Return to “General Discussion”