What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Von Rom

RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies?

Post by Von Rom »

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

That's a strong endorsement hehe. I sometimes wonder if I am just being easily swayed, because I tend to enjoy low tech films predominantly.

Modern settings often please me less so.

Nice to hear someone come out strongly on the accuracy issue, I am usually to intent on just enjoying the film (I never take the magnifying glass approach to a film).

You can still see the hand of Hollywood in a couple of scenes, but overall, an excellent film. I wish the film had been three hours long, rather than 2 1/2 hours long.

I understand that Cruise prepared for 8 months for this role and it shows. The swordplay is the best I have seen.

As to technical faults, I didn't see anything obvious (and I was watching - hehe). The scene with the Ninjas was hair-raising. . .

The movie at least helps to show us (especially as wargamers) the attitude of the Japanese military before it entered WWII.

The second disc contains a wealth of information about the film, its production, and about the Samurai. After viewing the two deleted scenes, I question their removal from the movie. They are both integral into understanding the movie better. Ahhhh, Political Correctness. . .

The Last Samurai along with The Sand Pebbles are two excellent films that are worth watching for anyone who wishes to see good story telling and to catch a glimpse of the far east.
Bart_Breedyk

Post by Bart_Breedyk »

ORIGINAL: jnier

There are lots of good movies out there, but many of the them are not major Hollywood movies. Most of the good movies I see nowadays are independent films that I rent at the movie store. I recently saw "Ghostworld" and "You Can Count On Me" on DVD and they were far better than anything I've seen in the movie theater in the past several years.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Red Violin, Amelie, and Life is Beautiful are all marvelous films, IMO. Hollywood is good at making the fluffy entertainment movie, but generally speaking I would rather watch a foreign and/or independant flick. One exception to this rule is Charlize Theron's 'Monster', she fully deserved the Oscar for her performance.

BTW One more movie I've forgotten; Zulu (and yes, I know it's not very historically accurate).
Game slut
Von Rom

Post by Von Rom »

ORIGINAL: Barticus
ORIGINAL: jnier

There are lots of good movies out there, but many of the them are not major Hollywood movies. Most of the good movies I see nowadays are independent films that I rent at the movie store. I recently saw "Ghostworld" and "You Can Count On Me" on DVD and they were far better than anything I've seen in the movie theater in the past several years.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Red Violin, Amelie, and Life is Beautiful are all marvelous films, IMO. Hollywood is good at making the fluffy entertainment movie, but generally speaking I would rather watch a foreign and/or independant flick. One exception to this rule is Charlize Theron's 'Monster', she fully deserved the Oscar for her performance.

BTW One more movie I've forgotten; Zulu (and yes, I know it's not very historically accurate).

I also agree with both of you :)

The smaller films often contain the biggest impact. I especially enjoy films that delve into character and story telling.

That is why I tend to prefer the older movies, which (to me personally) are still better than most current films. There are exceptions - Gettysburg, Glory, Last of the Mohicans, etc
Von Rom

Post by Von Rom »

I should also note that one of the truly great films, The Sand Pebbles, starring Steve McQueen (in one of his best performances) is being re-released on DVD in May:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 9?v=glance
Frank W.

Post by Frank W. »

I'm a fan of Blade Runner and Pulp Fiction - two unique movies - don't see enough of these. It is tough trying to find Pulp Fiction on DVD though.

And in Canada, A&B Sound has tons of DVD movies on sale, including Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far for only $10.00 each.

really pulp fiction hard to find ?

surprising, i bought a quite good dvd for only 4,99€ before 2 weeks !
Von Rom

Post by Von Rom »

ORIGINAL: Frank W.
I'm a fan of Blade Runner and Pulp Fiction - two unique movies - don't see enough of these. It is tough trying to find Pulp Fiction on DVD though.

And in Canada, A&B Sound has tons of DVD movies on sale, including Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far for only $10.00 each.

really pulp fiction hard to find ?

surprising, i bought a quite good dvd for only 4,99€ before 2 weeks !

I have been to a couple of stores and they were out of the film - so guess everyone else wants it too :D
riverbravo

Post by riverbravo »

ORIGINAL: John David

Yes, Band Of Brothers for sure. Also:

1)Apocalypse Now Redux.
2)Patton - Because of Wide Screen addition.
3)Longest Day- Same as above.
4)A Bridge Too Far.

Yup,I have all of those and enjoy them a lot.

Das Boot ...Directors cut
Platoon
Gladiator
Saving private ryan ....are a few more that come across well in DVD format!
I laugh at hurricanes!
Von Rom

Post by Von Rom »

Some updated info regarding the LoTR: The Return of the King:

The version coming out at the end of this month will be the theatrical release. However, the extended version will be available in November and will have 49 MORE minutes added to the movie, making it over 4 hours in length.

IMO, after seeing the extended versions of the first two parts (which add so much more to the movies), I am going to wait to buy the extended version of the third part. Definitely worth waiting for.
Bart_Breedyk

Post by Bart_Breedyk »

ORIGINAL: Von Rom

Some updated info regarding the LoTR: The Return of the King:

The version coming out at the end of this month will be the theatrical release. However, the extended version will be available in November and will have 49 MORE minutes added to the movie, making it over 4 hours in length.

IMO, after seeing the extended versions of the first two parts (which add so much more to the movies), I am going to wait to buy the extended version of the third part. Definitely worth waiting for.

I liked the theatrical release of The Fellowship of the Ring
I liked the extended version much more
I thought the theatrical release of The Two Towers was pretty good
I LOVED the extended version.
I very much enjoyed the theatrical release of Return of the King.

As you can see, there is a trend here, one that I hope continues because as a Tolkien fan, there are a bunch of little things I would like to see cleared up in the Extended version.

B
Game slut
riverbravo

Post by riverbravo »

It seems that they are milking the LOTR trilogy to the maximum.

What a scam/goldmine.I mean all the movies were quality movies and did justice to the books.

But wow,this has to be the biggest merchandise seller sense star wars.

I have the theatrical and extended versions of the first two and will end up with both of the third movie.
I laugh at hurricanes!
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Regardless of WHAT the film is, I always seek to get it the cheapest way possible.

Lord of the Rings has been the only exception ever in my entire life.

I have the extended versions of both the first two.
But for those that have not actually bought them, the point is not really there if you are not interested in 2 full dvds worth of "stuff" about the making of the films.

The extended versions have 4 disks, but only 2 are the films. And really, you are not really getting much "more" movie by buying these ultra purchases.
If you only want the movie, you might just as well stick with the mid price extended option.

You have to be a complete fanatic (like me :) ) to want to get the mega purchase.

I am just glad I read the books first.

And yes, they sure have milked this thing, but at least it is the finest smoothest grade of milk I have ever experienced heheh.

Now contrast this with the 35 dollar release of Windtalkers. God what a crock. Not worth 35 cents.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Frank W.

Post by Frank W. »

Now contrast this with the 35 dollar release of Windtalkers. God what a crock. Not worth 35 cents.

35$ but canadian dollars....while i agree.

a bag of crap was this.

how about waterloo ?

anyone seen this on dvd ?

the problem with the above is, that i read that
there are some scenes cut of the original movie.
Von Rom

Post by Von Rom »

LoTR:

I am big fan of the movie series. I find the extra film added to the movies really adds a great deal IMO. I just finished watching the extended versions of parts one and two this week. For example, in part two, the director added 43 extra minutes of film. This was not just tacked on, but was skillfully interwoven throughout the movie. While the theatrical release concentrated less on the main characters, the extended version added many more scenes with the main characters, thus balancing the movie out.

Those extra bits that were added helped flesh out the characters and gave you much more of what you liked. After seeing the extended versions, I could never go back to the plain vanilla versions. So I will wait for the extended version of part three when it comes out.
Von Rom

Post by Von Rom »

ORIGINAL: Frank W.

35$ but canadian dollars....while i agree.

a bag of crap was this.

how about waterloo ?

anyone seen this on dvd ?

the problem with the above is, that i read that
there are some scenes cut of the original movie.

I haven't seen Waterloo on dvd in the stores, but I did find The Blue Max, and it was only $13.00 - heheh. It's been digitly re-mastered. Nothing like seeing WWI aerial combat. . .
Makoto

Post by Makoto »

Black Hawk Down, A Bridge to Far, Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Kill Bill. [:D]
It is sincerity and faithfulness. It is self-sacrifice, duty, adherence to principle and unwavering loyalty to one's lord despite what the lord stands for, good or evil. It is an acceptance of one's place and status.

This is Makoto
Von Rom

Post by Von Rom »

For those who are interested, here is a full review of the extended version of the TWO TOWERS which will give you a clear insight into what went into the additions that were added to the film:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/ ... disca.html
Von Rom

Post by Von Rom »

I guess I'm kind of a throw back to yesteryear - heheh

I'm going to get the restored version of The Sand Pebbles when it comes out on May 25.

Steve McQueen's greatest performance in a great film.

http://www.thesandpebbles.com/love_them ... _faith.wax
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

You and I would likely like the same sort of film Von Rom.

Most of what I want on dvd is hardly new film.

And yes Sand Pebbles was a good film.

Ever seen Cast a Giant Shadow?
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Von Rom

I should also note that one of the truly great films, The Sand Pebbles, starring Steve McQueen (in one of his best performances) is being re-released on DVD in May:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 9?v=glance

Von Rom, thanks to your recommendation, I got a copy of this from the local library. I wasn't aware that this film was nominated for 9 Academy Awards in 1966. It was beaten out for "Best Picture" by "A Man For All Seasons".
Von Rom

Post by Von Rom »

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

You and I would likely like the same sort of film Von Rom.

Most of what I want on dvd is hardly new film.

And yes Sand Pebbles was a good film.

Ever seen Cast a Giant Shadow?

When all the "older" films come out on DvD I can usually pick them very cheaply, while everyone else is buying the new stuff (but not really worth much IMHO) at higher prices - heheh.

Yes, I saw Cast a Giant Shadow - good film.

To compare films: I prefer the 1960 version of The Alamo (with John Wayne) vs the new one that's out. To some people that older version might appear to be a bit dated and hokey. But as a film it had respect and it played up the heroic virtues. . .

Braveheart (to Mel Gibson's credit) also was a film that had respect and character and substance. It had all the ingredients that I look for in a film, and that I consider to be worthy of adding to my video collection.

Same as Last of the Mohicans - one of the truly great modern films. It was almost like watching literature on film. . .

I always run into pleople who have never seen many of these films. . . They don't know what they are missing. . .

That's probably why I like the extended versions of the LoTR, because the additional footage was centered around the characters and the feelings they had each other.

Return to “General Discussion”