Tournament Proposal

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
larryfulkerson

Tournament Proposal

Post by larryfulkerson »

Is there any interest in a "friendly tournament"? That's where one scenario is picked out for the platform of interest, the scenario, and the winners of each game play each other until there's only one person who has beat everybody. It would need to be a small simple scenario, one played quickly, and we could dedicate this thread for the compeditors to post who they played and who won etc. In the past the scenario was "Two Weeks In Normandy" but it doesn't have to be that one. Anybody got any good ideas for a small short scenario that we could use for this?

07/11/2018 EDIT:
I've decided on a scenario just to get us started:
Just play the first 10 turns and the most VP's wins.
Play mirror games and total up the VP's.

1922 Greco-Turkish War
tm.asp?m=4506080&mpage=1&key=�
Vet to another vet: "When I get home I'm going to make love with the wife and then set the luggage down and close the door."
Waltz

RE: Tournament Proposal

Post by Waltz »

I like this idea
Cfant

Post by Cfant »

Sounds funny
walkra

Post by walkra »

Hi. Great idea!
MikeC317

Post by MikeC317 »

This is a good idea!
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Larry von Fulk

Quite some years ago I ran small tournament for Panzer General and later participated in a TOAW tournament for “10 turn” scenarios. Both tournaments were both fun and both had their disasters.
The problems the organizer of the tournament needs to deal with are:

1) There are always whiners.
2) There are always people who disappear.
3) There are always people who dislike you because you enforced the rules they agreed to.
4) All people do not play at the same speed.
5) Note that since your original post, no one has suggested scenarios of 20 turns or less.

Sounds like fun, hope it works out for you all. Hope the tournament overcomes the inherent problems.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
Waltz

Post by Waltz »

5) Note that since your original post, no one has suggested scenarios of 20 turns or less.

I have to admit I only play the big scenarios I have no idea what the small ones are like
NikolaiEzhov

Post by NikolaiEzhov »

What about Anonymous Heroics (PBEM)?
Proletariat of the world, unite!
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I've checked out Anonymous Heroics and I think it's ideal for what we
need. Great choice. I'll post the scenario here below so that everyone
can have a copy of it in case there's somebody that doesn't have it yet.
Brian and I were talking about maybe getting the ball rolling by playing the
first game unless somebody else wants to be first.

Anonymous Heroics is posted here below.
Attachments
Anonymous ..s (PBEM).zip
(87.13 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Vet to another vet: "When I get home I'm going to make love with the wife and then set the luggage down and close the door."
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Anonymous Heroics

As I recall “Anonymous Heroics” was designed as a learning too. Both sides equally weighted, map identical for both sides and equal objectives. This is a good learning tool but not the type of scenario you want for tournament.

What you need are low turn competitive scenarios played as mirrored competitions. Don’t know if they are available in TOAW IV, but scenarios like Balkans 13 and Franco-Prussian War 1860 are perfect for a tournament. Actually, scenarios like this would be good to get people out of the "massive WWII scenario" mindset.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:

Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

I always thought my "Cambrai 1917" scenario would make a good tournament game. Both sides get to take the offensive and, historically, the lines ended up just about where they started. 17 turns in length.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
I always thought my "Cambrai 1917" scenario would make a good tournament game. Both sides get to take the offensive and, historically, the lines ended up just about where they started. 17 turns in length.
I like that. Let's use Bob's scenario you guys.
Marc1314

Post by Marc1314 »

I'd like to join in if there are any places.
I'm new to toaw and I haven't played any mp yet so I might need a few tips but I would definitely play.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Marc1314
I'd like to join in if there are any places.
I'm new to toaw and I haven't played any mp yet so I might need a few tips but I would definitely play.
Hey there Marc: You're among friends and we together can answer just about any question you may have. We're here to help you get started and up to speed. The tournament hasn't really gotten off the ground yet I guess but you can start it if you'd like. Just play the above scenario with an opponent and post the results here I guess. It's simple to handle at first. When it starts to get crowded it's harder to keep it all straight, but so far so good. Do an AAR so we can post suggestions and hints. Pictures are good for that. Do you have a copy of Bob's scenario? I'll post a copy of it here below so we can all have access to it. Good luck dude.
Attachments
Cambrai1917v.3.0.zip
(231.63 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Marc1314

Post by Marc1314 »

thanks, I've got the map now
Cfant

Post by Cfant »

You can also take other scenarios. Match and rematch with sides changed. Compare victory points after 10 turns.
Cfant

Post by Cfant »

And we need a time limit. 72 hours per turn for example. Player who misses the timer list, like in chess.
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

I don’t know if these scenarios are still in the TOAW IV inventory, but there are three scenarios which might be good for a tournament.

1) Franco-Prussian War 1870. Short scenario which also has both tactical and strategic considerations. As I recall there were two versions from different authors.

2) Older versions of TOAW had two scenarios centered on the Balkans wars prior to WW I. Both were fairly short in length.

3) There was a scenario about the Japanese invasion of the Philippines. I always thought that was a fun scenario and it had the possibility of different outcome.

Another contributor mentioned taking the 10th turn score as the tournament score. I like that idea. It opens the door for a larger number of tournament scenarios. However, even with that, I would still recommend not using monster scenarios in a tournament.

One suggestion is that you stay away from commonly played scenarios. What you don’t need are people with a practiced “killer” first move. Not fair for competition and against the spirit of a fair and equal competition.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Cfant
You can also take other scenarios. Match and rematch with sides changed. Compare victory points after 10 turns.

And we need a time limit. 72 hours per turn for example. Player who misses the timer list, like in chess.
ORIGINAL: rhinobones
I don’t know if these scenarios are still in the TOAW IV inventory, but there are three scenarios which might be good for a tournament:

1) Franco-Prussian War 1870. Short scenario which also has both tactical and strategic considerations. As I recall there were two versions from different authors.

2) Older versions of TOAW had two scenarios centered on the Balkans wars prior to WW I. Both were fairly short in length.

3) There was a scenario about the Japanese invasion of the Philippines. I always thought that was a fun scenario and it had the possibility of different outcome.

Another contributor mentioned taking the 10th turn score as the tournament score. I like that idea. It opens the door for a larger number of tournament scenarios. However, even with that, I would still recommend not using monster scenarios in a tournament.

One suggestion is that you stay away from commonly played scenarios. What you don’t need are people with a practiced “killer” first move. Not fair for competition and against the spirit of a fair and equal competition.
Regards, RhinoBones
Wow !!! you guys have some really great ideas. I'm trying to line up an opponent for this tournament and it looks like Brian might volunteer so we may be off the ground soon. Let's discuss and vote on these rules above as the rules of the tournament. What say you?
Cfant

Post by Cfant »

The scenarios are not very balanced mostly. So you'd need a rematch with sides changed. Keep that in mind - nobody wants a tournament that takes a whole year :) So it really should be scenarios which can be played quickly.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”