Typhoon of Steel: John 3rd vs. Kitakami

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Canoerebel

RE: Typhoon of Steel: John 3rd vs. Kitakami

Post by Canoerebel »

Isn't this the mod in which Japan gets a boysenberry force field around select capital ships. They're impervious to Allied shellfire, right?
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I think it indicates a cloaking device. Cannot tell if it's Klingon or Romulan. [:D]
[center]Image[/center]
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

Looks like the Japanese version of the Philly magnetism experiment.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Wrong SciFi Series. Japan was able to use the FORCE to escape!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Meant to have time to Post after my EVIL tease of that successful Allied intercept but have to go in. So...no Posting until this evening.

Sorry!
[:D]

Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

You turn tease!
SierraJuliet

Post by SierraJuliet »

If you disengaged without too much damage (even better no damage to your carriers) then this is better than good. You are now in a great position to hunt down Renown and Houston (both having some damage) and others. Your screen shot appears to have you in a very good position. What else does he have lurking around in support of that TF?
Kido Butai, although powerful, was a raiding force, and this is exactly how the Japanese understood its usage. 'Shattered Sword'
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

We gonna do some serious damage coming up BABY!

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Michael and I just spent the last 65 minutes trying to install Tracker. Numerous screenshots sent with him trying to 'help' me do the install. So you have the RIGHT VISION, imagine Helen Keller and the "HOT", "H-O-T", "H--O--T" scene! I am a tech IDIOT! Have no issues admitting that at all...

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

December 12-13, 1941
SS Operations

Long delay in Posting due to slow turn production and the end of the year school excitement. My 8th Grader is transitioning to High School so we've sort of sweated the grades for 2nd Semester. Have a smart kid who has little to no drive/ambition to apply himself in school. Looks like we saw that fixed over the last two months so that is very good news. Bet nearly all of you go through those periods in life where it SEEMS that EVERY day has 2-3-4 separate things happening in it and you feel rather overwhelmed. That could really apply to the last 10 days and the next 4-5.

OK.

December 12th
I-70 SINKS AP Henderson with 1 Shell and 3 TT just off San Diego
Ro-65 hits AK Ravness with a single TT near Balikpapan
I-156 hits AK Havildar with a single TT at Koggala

I-159 fires a full spread and MISSES BC Repulse. Too bad. Would have been sweet!

The Repulse attack occurs west of Sumatra and appears that KGV and Repulse are leaving for the IO.

December 13th
I-156 hits AK West Isleta with a TT near Koggala

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

December 12-13, 1941
Surface Actions

The roving Surface TFs continue sweeping everything up that they can find. We'll go by Task Forces:

12th
Fuso--Yamashiro TF sinks 2 AKL and a AK

2 AMC (New Caledonia Area) sink an TK

Isuzu TF sinks an AKL

2 AMC (in two different attacks) sink 4 AK near--get this--Coal Harbour. WELL DONE to my Raiding Forces!

Chokai--Maya sink an AKL

13th
Fuso--Yamashiro sink an AKL

4 CL and 6 DD sink 2 AKL and an AM east of Palembang

Kongo--Haruna sink a large TK east of Soerabaja

Chokai--Maya sink an AK off the SW tip of Borneo

4 DMS sink 2 MTB off San Fernando

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

December 12-13, 1941
CV Operations

The CV are now operating in two TFs with the Kido Butai between Hawaii and the West Coast while the reinforced CARDIV2 (now Hiryu-Soryu--Ryujo--Rhujo--Shoho--Zuiho and 2 CAVs) sweep along Java looking for trouble.

Kido Butai
The two TFs refuel from the AOs leaving the tankers with about 30,000 fuel. They separate and move tangentially towards the WC looking for convoys.

CARDIV2
12th
As detailed earlier in the AAR, BC Renown, CA HOuston, CLs DeRuyter and Denae, and 4 DD intercept the Carrier TF. I, looking for a cat to quickly sacrifice, try to think positive as a night fight brezaks out. The Japanese, through the replay, quickly interpose 2 CA--3 DDs--2 CAVs to block an attack upon the vulnerable flattops. Two shells do CVL Shoho and do 36 SYS Damage and NOTHING else. Thank Goodness. The two CA really pump the shells out and hit Renown 12 times with 8" hits. Additionally, they hit the CA and two CLs. NICE work! The CAVs actually prove their worth as they land 6-8 8" hits as well. Near the end of the fight LBC Chichibu enters the fray and lands two 16" hits on Renown.

Renown retires heavily damaged (2 16", 12 8", and 5 other hits) with Houston, DeRuyter, and Danae each taking 2-3 hits. Every Allied DD is hit and two are heavily damaged. The Japanese suffer the damage to Shoho (disengaged and sent back to CamRahn Bay), a single hit to Zuiho, minor damage to both CAs, and moderate damage to Jap tin can.

Could have been FAR WORSE! Weather is terrible and no strikes fly from the Japanese CVs.

13th
The CTF moves due east to a position five hexes east of Soerabaja and go to work. Two Sweeps fly in the morning CRUSHING Dutch Fighter resistance: 13 Zeros encounter 42 Fighters and lose 1 for 8 and 21 Zero blast through 12 Fighters losing 0 for 6. NICE! Strikes then follow:

Morning
37 Zero, 12 Val, and 12 Kate hit 2 AP an AK, and an AKL in Soerabaja
13 Zero, 48 Val, and 18 Kate fight through 19 Fighters sinking two AG and damaging 2 AK and an AP in Soerabaja

Afternoon
26 Zero and 46 FP hit a PG, AG, and Sink a TK near Denpasar
24 Kate sink an AG, 2 AGP, and 2 AVP SE of Java
11 Zero and 12 Kate sink two big, lovely Dutch ARDs. NICE!
24 TB sink 3 AG and an AVP

Good Day.

The Carriers are ordered to pierce the Malay Barrier and continue pounding a host of TFs moving towards Australia. To Cover the Kendari Landing the 2 CAV, 1 CL, and 5 DD move due east to provide protection.

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

December 12-13, 1941
Air Operations

Air Action:
12th
Iba is swept by 27 Zero and they shoot down 7 P-40

Manila sees 16 Zero engage 8 P-40 and 5 fall for 1 Japanese

Lots of air-to-ground strikes fly causing issues in China, the Philippines, and Malaya

13th
Mersing
The 56th ID has now off-loaded and Jorge throws everyrthing he can to try and slow the Japanese LCU advance. 33 Army/Navy Fighters defend against 36 Fighters and 47 Bombers. The Japanese lose two Fighters for 9 Allied Fighters and 12 Bombers. Some of the LCU are hit but not enough to significantly stop what is about to occur.

Johore Bharu sees a Sweep of 18 Zero encounter 20 Fighters where the Zeros clean house losing none for 7 of the enemy.

Iba gets swept again where 27 Zero crush 7 P-40 flying CAP there.

More bombing attack throughout the board with no serious opposition in any of the attacks.

An EXCELLENT day for my ATA. Nice to see a bunch of Allied Fighters drop.

Where is the AVG? Have to be worried about that.

He also appears to be keeping his best Brit Fighters--the Hurricanes--over Singers. Makes good sense.

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

December 12-13, 1941
Ground Action

Lots of action as my invasion juggernaut really begins to get rolling. The octopus is going boys and girls!

12th
Aparri FALLS

Palembang
Just as hoped, my Fast TF arrives at Palembang before serious reinforcements can arrive. The force of 2 CA, 8 CL, and 8 DDs unload a full Brigade and two Base Forces. They unloading bombardment does 364 Allied Casualties.

Land at Madang

Land at Brunei

Land at Pakhio with a small Inf Company and find a Chinese Corps. Load back up and shift targets!

Malacca
My Paras hold against their first serious assault. The Allies only gain a 1-1 as they desperately try to open the Railroad up to Singers.

China
83,52 JSA: 13-1 Japan loses 236 troops for 2419 (201 Squads) Chinese

13th
Palembang
CAPTURE the base easily and sink two AMc as we do it. The deliberate assault is 81-1 driving the Dutch back a hex. The BIG MOMENT in EVERY Campaign is when you peek at Palembang after you take it. In this case, there is a war hoop as we see that there is only 10 Oil and 8 Refineries damaged. BANZAI Baby! A regular TF begins unloading and it brings an Air HQ, 2 Base Forces, and a small INF unit.

Capture Tabiteuea

Capture Madang

Capture Brunei in a 5-1 attack with no damage to oil facilities.

Malacca
The Allies SHOCK ATTACK here and get a strong 9-1 but the Paras don't retreat. Hex still contested BABY!

Land at Laoag

Land at Naga

Land at Kwangchowan

Notes
My Malaya assault has achieved its goal. Tomorrow will see the 4th ID enter the hex west of Mersing. We will easily capture it and permanently separate the British Forces. As mentioned earlier the 56th is advancing on Johore Bharu from Mersing AND two fresh, new IDs will begin unloading at Mersing tomorrow. Malaya is GAME--SET--MATCH! Figure 10-14 days to have Singers and then the door opens towards India my readers...

Luzon has two IDs and a Brigade unloading or moving into it. We'll see how much ground he gives me for free there...

Mindanao has my SNLF Para Assault Brigade moving out from Cotabato as well as an Inf Reg. A full ID will arrive in 4-5 days to help finish a quick capture of this large Isle. These units will then be used to drive through the Eastern DEI and into NW Australia.

That is everything for updating. Thoughts?

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

December 14, 1941

Action remains fast and furious as the offensive begins to truly build momentum.

SS Ops
Lose Ro-64 to a mine off of Soerabaja.
I-73 SINKS AKL Coloradoan with 9 Shells

Surface and Carrier Operations
An AMC sinks an AK near Lord Howe Island. It was sunk by over 32 shell hits. Damn. That'll do it!

CARDIV2
Two Zero Sweeps of 21 planes are flown over Soerabaja and they encounter 36 Fighters. ONE Zero is lost for 12 of the enemy: NICE!

Strikes: Morning
11 Zero and 24 Val hit--perhaps sink a--CM
11 Zero, 12 Val, and 12 Kate damage 2 AP and 2 AK at Soerabaja
A Floatplane strike hits a Tanker six times.

Strikes: Afternoon
11 Zero and 24 Vals find BC Repulse! It gets hit with 2 250 KG bombs. We WANT that ship!!!
54 Kates sink a PG and 4 CM
11 Zero, 24 Vals, and 22 Kates crush three Fighters flying CAP over Soerabaja and sink a CM, AP, and 2 AK

CAV TF
My two CAVs move to three hexes SW of Kendari (Covering that Landing) and they fly a strike that sinks a TK.

Air Operations
Iba
This base is a continued source for killing P-40s. A sweep of 30 Zero fight 18 P-40 and shot down at least six for no loss.

Mersing
The panicked Allied Command at Singers flies another large strike of 21 Fighters and 41 Bombers at the multiple ID moving out from this base. They encounter 32 Fighters and lose 6 Fighters and 6 Bombers.

Ground Action
Laoag, PHIL falls

Naga, PHIL falls

Kwangchowan, CHINA falls

Land at Lae

Land at Adak

Land at Kendari

Land at Kolaka

Malaya
The 4th ID arrives at the base west of Mersing. It will capture and base and permanently cut the British Army into two pieces. The 55th ID is now half way to Johore Bharu where it will take that base. At Mersing a massive Landing Force begins unloading two full ID and six supporting units.

China
Changsha
Three ID arrive here and are ordered to bombard to see what we have holding the city.

83,33 is taken in a 2-1 attack driving out a single Chinese unit

Tomorrow will see Wake attacked. If that goes easily, then the Navasl Forces involved there will then link-up with the Midway Invasion Force to help take that location.

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Here is the position of CARDIV2 after the December 14th turn:

Attachments
12-14 cardiv2.jpg
12-14 cardiv2.jpg (213.95 KiB) Viewed 77 times

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

These are the ATA Results from the 13th:

Attachments
1213ATA.jpg
1213ATA.jpg (134.12 KiB) Viewed 77 times

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

December 15, 1941

Turns are picking up a little.

THERE ARE JAPANESE CARRIERS EAST OF HAWAII!!!

Attachments
1215WC.jpg
1215WC.jpg (165.53 KiB) Viewed 78 times

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

December 15, 1941

We swept over Soerabaja and, for the first time, Singapore today. Results were excellent:

Attachments
1215VP.jpg
1215VP.jpg (211.89 KiB) Viewed 77 times

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Am getting concerned. Haven't heard from my opponent for five days. Jorge was having eye problems and last said he was headed in to see the Doctor. Haven't from him since...

Hope he is OK.

Return to “After Action Reports”