Fleet troop loadout and troop transfer

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

mianmar

Fleet troop loadout and troop transfer

Post by mianmar »

I have fleet troop loadout set to:
Infantry 20%
Tanks 45%
Special Forces 35%

a fleet consist of 4 troop transports (4x600 space) and this loadout according to fleets screen, should load:
4 infantry
6 tanks
4 special forces

a planet from which I'm attempting to load troops has more than 30 Infantry units only. when I CTRL right click load troops the feet will fully load 24 infantry units.

Isn't a fleet supposed to load only 4 units?
A work around this is to set a loadout for each transport within fleet manually and opt out fleet loadout, but what is the purpose of fleet loadout then if I need to do that manually?

btw. each individual troop transport has its own loadout set to 6 infantry, but the screen says this is overridden by fleet loadout, but obviously isn't!

What am I missing here wit fleet loadout?

Second question:
I noticed we can transfer troops from planet to transport instantly, however sometime I can transfer to transport stationed 3 systems away, sometimes it is stationed 8 systems away and sometimes this method doesn't work if transport is not in the same system.

what's the trick or transfer button? how far can we transfer troops and what are prerequisites to do so?

thank a lot for help!

EDIT:
I was wrong about individual transport loadouts, the fleet will load fully with infantry regardless of any settings.
I'm lost, I can either load all infantry or not load at all.
Aeson

RE: Fleet troop loadout and troop transfer

Post by Aeson »

I have fleet troop loadout set to:
Infantry 20%
Tanks 45%
Special Forces 35%

a fleet consist of 4 troop transports (4x600 space) and this loadout according to fleets screen, should load:
4 infantry
6 tanks
4 special forces

a planet from which I'm attempting to load troops has more than 30 Infantry units only. when I CTRL right click load troops the feet will fully load 24 infantry units.

Isn't a fleet supposed to load only 4 units?
Last I checked, transport fleets would pick up a force as close to the specified loadout as they could from the units available on the planet, and after that they'd fill out as much of their remaining transport capacity as they can with whatever ungarrisoned troops were available on the planet (within the limits inmposed by the game system; you can't split units across multiple transports). I think if you automate the fleet and leave it idle, it should eventually pick up something closer to its specified loadout, assuming those troops are available, but I'm not sure about that as I don't automate transport fleets.

Infantry and special forces take 100, armor takes 200, and planetary defense units take 400 transport capacity. Note that the troop loadout screen seems to think that special forces take 200.

As far as the transfer troops question goes, I don't know, but I suspect that any time you can transfer troops (but not characters) to a transport outside of the system in which the troops are stationed, you're encountering a bug.
mianmar

Post by mianmar »

thanks a lot, very informative.

as I discover the game there are indeed several bugs and unhandled exceptions incur from time to time.

from a game that is 5 years old I was expecting stable game, but that's not so, and built in help system/manual covers only some 40% of the game [&:]
Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

Are you running any mods currently?
mianmar

Post by mianmar »

yes, only the AI improvement mod.

but the mod seems to work just fine.
except when changing theme the game will crash.
Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

The only time it crashes is when you change themes?
mianmar

Post by mianmar »

yes, that's for the mod part.

for other things I observed (which occur very rare btw.) are likely related to game instead of the mod.
like troop transfer to random distances, unhandled exceptions, game crash due to "index out of range", and similar.

one reproducible error I remember is when you try to sort planets while taxes are all set to 0 everywhere.
you will be presented with error that "value must be a float" or something like that.

Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

Interesting. The only crash I've had running only Icemania's mod has been memory related. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling DW:U?
mianmar

Post by mianmar »

no, didn't reinstall, I had only 2 crashes so far, so I didn't bother much.
these few things are ignorable.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”