Airborne question

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
IBender

Airborne question

Post by IBender »

In the attached picture you see an airborne division sitting with an airplane unit. The airplane unit is an Ardo...which is a seaplane. My question is...Ardo seaplanes cannot lift and drop paratroopers...so does an airborne unit have built in lift capability and can fly itself? It seems to be that way to me but I am unsure on this.

Attachments
abletobo..paradrop.jpg
abletobo..paradrop.jpg (62.19 KiB) Viewed 98 times
Primarchx

RE: Airborne question

Post by Primarchx »

Airborne units use the general airlift capacity pool to drop, not specific air units, as I recall.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

In TOAW the transports that carry the airborne are abstracted and if your unit says it's "Airmoble" then you can
drop that bad boy with no reguard to existing aircraft. With the exception of fighters. You are going to want
some fighters on AS if you try to fly your paratroopers into the face of significant enemy CAP.
Vet to another vet: "When I get home I'm going to make love with the wife and then set the luggage down and close the door."
IBender

Post by IBender »

Thank you.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

Airborne units use the general airlift capacity pool to drop, not specific air units, as I recall.
Aye, but Airmobile or Heli-borne units are simulated nicely though. Pity, that ain't the case for paras, e.g. having to use Ju-52, C-47, gliders, would have been cool.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Aye, but Airmobile or Heli-borne units are simulated nicely though. Pity, that ain't the case for paras, e.g. having to use Ju-52, C-47, gliders, would have been cool.

Klink, Oberst
True. The big difference is that helos don't require airfields while transports would. With the fixed wing stacking limit on available airfields, along with any range requirements, would add a serious planning crimp to an already busy turn planning/execution process!
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Klink, Oberst
True. The big difference is that helos don't require airfields while transports would. With the fixed wing stacking limit on available airfields, along with any range requirements, would add a serious planning crimp to an already busy turn planning/execution process!
Point taken, mate. I guess, the same issue it would be with transport vessels (naval).

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”