Star Trek - The Final Frontier (Beta 1.0)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

rjord2021

Star Trek

Post by rjord2021 »

The pictures previewed in the last 2 posts represent how the planets will look in this mod.

My work over the next 12 hours will include adding Jupiter with it's ring system which looks different to that of Saturn.

In the prior picture you can see an aurora at the Martian south pole and Jupiter will have a very detailed aurora on its north pole.
rjord2021

Star Trek

Post by rjord2021 »

Teaser #9
=========

Planet Alpha 177.

The Enterprise arrives at a planet rich in a soft yellow magnetic ore with highly unusual properties.
The magnetic ore damages the transporters and causes the device to divide transporter signals.

Scotty and his team are working to repair the damaged system while Kirk, Spock and McCoy are stranded on the surface with no way to make it back to the ship as a huge storm prevents the Galileo shuttle from reaching the landing party.

Attachments
Alfa177.jpg
Alfa177.jpg (90.57 KiB) Viewed 152 times
rjord2021

Star Trek

Post by rjord2021 »

Teaser #10
==========

The desert world Nimbus III (seen in Star trek V)

Attachments
NimbusIII.jpg
NimbusIII.jpg (96.27 KiB) Viewed 152 times
rjord2021

Star Trek

Post by rjord2021 »

Teaser #11
==========

Another desert world with a different look to the last post.
The surface of Tyree (from Deep Space Nine) is covered by vast deserts with sparse ocean regions.

Over 250 customized planets are being added to the mod

Attachments
Tyree ds9.jpg
Tyree ds9.jpg (91.78 KiB) Viewed 153 times
rjord2021

Star Trek

Post by rjord2021 »

Shown below : The planet Nimbus as seen in " Into Darkness. "
A different part of the planet from where the red forests are as they were in the film.

Nibiru is an example of a Class F planet which has volcanic eruptions due to a volcanic core.

Nibiru and Delta Vega I are examples of Class F worlds where only some life forms are able to cope with the planet's oxidizing atmosphere.

Attachments
Nibiru volcanic.jpg
Nibiru volcanic.jpg (91.9 KiB) Viewed 152 times
rjord2021

Star Trek

Post by rjord2021 »

The only problem with the last picture is the plume of smoke from the volcano can not be differentiated from the ice on the ground. Will fix this over the weekend.
rjord2021

Star Trek

Post by rjord2021 »

Death of the red shirts......

In the original series it was common to see red-uniformed security officers or engineers often suffer quick deaths when they accompanied the main characters on landing party missions.

This will be seen in the mod to a certain degree where the red shirts are in more danger of being killed while the command team of Kirk, Spock and McCoy for example will not die but will face health problems which could take them out of action for days or weeks depending on how soon McCoy or other medical officer can cure them.

Every character on the Enterprise will have Federation Health Points allocated to them. When a hazard event occurs on board the Enterprise or during a landing party mission, one or more characters could face injury and lose more health points the longer the hazard lasts.

Characters like Kirk, Spock and McCoy have a limit their health points will drop to at which level they would be seriously ill but not likely to die.

Red shirts, except for Scotty, have no limit and if their health points go too low they could die.

When the landing mission is complete and you return to the ship, as Chief Medical Officer Leonard McCoy will examine all members of the landing party and order them to sick bay.

If Captain Kirk is held in sick bay Spock, Sulu or Scotty will take temporary command of the Enterprise.

While the Enterprise travels to the next destination McCoy and his team will work on the patients in sick bay.
Recovery of health points can take a long time while losing health points can be very quick.

Hazards on board ship or on planets are determined by dice roll and you have no say in who is injured and how bad they are injured.

Attachments
deathoft..dshirts.jpg
deathoft..dshirts.jpg (54.19 KiB) Viewed 152 times
darkriot

RE: Star Trek

Post by darkriot »

Poor red shirts can't catch a break, even in a game.....
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

What news? This was getting SO close, then began to Run Silent, Run Deep [&:]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

any news here.. ??? [&:]
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Just a quick post........

I am the owner of my own business and in early July my local telco provider had a problem with the comms line for my house..... problem was in the street. Despite my daily phone calls to them to fix the problem my phone and internet for my home and business was not working until they arrived to fix the problem 8 days later.

This cost my business around $6000 and my business has been struggling with bills since then and I am still trying to get compensation for damage done to my business.

This has delayed my work on the mod unfortunately as I need to battle to keep my business going.

There is still much work to be done on this mod so there is no way I will be making the August date for release. Sorry about that guys.

I am estimating work on this mod to continue again next week.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Working with the phone company is a true PIA. I do it for a living. From the sounds, you may be a Century Link user? In any event, the tariff provisions usually mean you can't get compensation for lost business. I wish you luck.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

I am in Australia....different system here and have been promised compensation......but it is late and who knows they might only pay me $50 for loosing $6000 of business.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

ORIGINAL: rjord1

I am in Australia....different system here and have been promised compensation......but it is late and who knows they might only pay me $50 for loosing $6000 of business.

it's so harsh.. [:(]
rjord2021

Star Trek

Post by rjord2021 »

It is currently 3:54am Sydney Australia time.

Work has just started on the continuing development of the mod.
The next few days will be spent seeing where I am with the development and planning the next steps of the development cycle.

I will add a post here on a revised release date for this mod when I get a better idea on when that will be.
However there is still much to do before the alpha version is ready to be releaed.

Please be assured this mod will not disappear into the ether like other mods that never see the light of day.

As Spock would say at a time like this........"May your journey be free of further incident."

Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

welcome back Rjord1 [:D]
rjord2021

Star Trek

Post by rjord2021 »

With the role play aspect of the mod every story in the 5 year voyage of the Enterprise is playable in the mod either as it occurred on tv or in a different story line. The TV series only covered the first 3 years however novels will cover the remaining 2 years of the 5 year mission.

The events are based on what happened in Star Trek history but I have tweaked them slightly to represent the changed timeline of events.

In the first year of the mod the following occurs:

- Captain James T. Kirk assumes command of the USS Enterprise.
- Kenneth Wescott is successfully elected to serve as President of the United Federation of Planets.
- While attempting to break the warp barrier famed businessman and philanthropist Carter Winston mysteriously disappears in his one-man starship.
- The Federation discovers a probe near Earth and is unable to determine where the probe originates from.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Just a quick update to let everyone know development still continues.
In the process of putting together the events that may be encountered in the role play side of the mod.

Eg

- Uhura is sent through the Guardian of Forever to retrieve a lost historian

- Captain Kirk and the shuttle crew would not have remained this long on the surface of the planet when all attempts failed to contact the Enterprise. Therefore, either he and the crew are dead or disabled, or the shuttlecraft is unable to lift off or reach planetary orbit. When the Enterprise orbit brings us again over the landing site, Mr. Sulu will scan the surface to determine whether they are alive.

- The Enterprise is sent to answer a distress call from Ephrata IV, one of the Federation's most important research posts. Arriving and receiving no response to hails, Kirk, Spock, Sulu and a security team beam down to the planet only to find the research post staff have been brainwashed into serving a fanatical religion who have come from another dimension.

-Massive computer malfunctions are plaguing the Enterprise when Kirk suddenly receives a shocking message from Starfleet Command: Centaurus III has been bombed and annihilated; thousands are dead. Centaurus III is a beautiful, peaceful planet, home to many humans - including McCoy's daughter Joanna. Prior to these events occurring the Enterprise will have transported Joanna back to Centaurus III after a brief visit to Earth.

- A routine survey of the planet Alpha Octavius Four turns disastrous as Spock is attacked and poisoned by a huge creature and Kirk's landing party is trapped underground by a violent earthquake.

- The U.S.S. Enterprise, under the command of Lieutenant Hikaru Sulu, is returning from a mission to deliver medical supplies to Deep Space Station C-15. All is routine until the Enterprise comes within a light-year of the planet Mu Arigulon and the ship is suddenly thrown from warp and McCoy has to work out why officers have suddenly fallen into comas for no apparent reason.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Sorry for lack of updates on the mod ..... trying to juggle development time and the many hours running my small business.

I still do not have an expected release date but am still looking at releasing an alpha version of the mod which will be updated with smaller updates until it reaches release version 1.0

There is still much work to do and a fair bit of time is done looking at stories and modifying them to how they would be in my version of Star Trek.

Example: Below is the initial encounter of the Borg and the Romulans which occurred in the Picard era year 2364 but is now in the Kirk era in this mod. Here the Borg as yet unknown to the Klingons, Romulans or Federation, had attacked several Federation and Romulan outposts along the Romulan Neutral Zone and was mentioned in the TNG episode "The Neutral Zone".

The work going into this project is keeping to Star Trek traditions so the mod will be Star Trek believable in all the stories that you play.

I do apologize for the time taken on this mod but sometimes a good mod needs a lot of time.

Romulans vs The Borg

Attachments
romulans and borg.jpg
romulans and borg.jpg (134.1 KiB) Viewed 148 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

With creating this mod I am referring to my vast collection of Star Trek material for the Kirk era, Picard era and the Sisko era.

Not only that but I am also adding events mentioned in the Stargazer series, events experienced by the Enterprise-B, as well as events experienced by the USS Starship Excalibur and events in the Mirror Universe.

So far I have gone through 771 novels, books and short stories in the TOS era and I have started in the TNG and DS9 era with 195 novels, books and short stories..... only in first 2 years of the 7 years of TNG era.

I will also include some stories by the Voyager crew from the crews time in Starfleet Academy and up to the first episode of Voyager.

Discovery starts in 3 weeks so I will also add events and creatures etc into the mod.

I am also going to send another message to the guys who created the Picard era mod for Distant Worlds to see if they are going to release their mod for the Kirk era....

Note that with all of the novels, comics etc I have I am not reading each one but referring to summaries and notes on each and picking up details of characters and ships or planets they are on and the part each of them play in the story.

This mod essentially makes homage to all stories told about Star Trek since James Blish started the books off with his book "Star Trek 1" in 1967.

After reading all the Blish books on Star Trek I then read "Mission to Horatius" in 1968 as shown below.... a hard cover book which I still have the original version of the book that I purchased some 40 years ago.

Attachments
STMissionToHoratius.jpg
STMissionToHoratius.jpg (42.77 KiB) Viewed 148 times

Return to “Design and Modding”