No sound?

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, simovitch, harley, warshipbuilder

elmo3

No sound?

Post by elmo3 »

Just picked this up on the D-Day sale. Started a one day Eagle Day game to remember how to play from when I had the Talonsoft versions, and set the sound effects to 40%. At 100% it was way too loud with all the button clicking sounds. I still hear the clicking when I hit a button, but during the movement phase there are no combat sound effects like dog fighting or bombing. Shouldn't there be sounds during that time? Not hearing any music either with that set to 100%. I realize the game is no longer supported but thought someone might have an idea what might be wrong. Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
zakblood

RE: No sound?

Post by zakblood »

have you loaded all the prerequisites that come with the game of that age, as a modern O/S and most games version won't work with games this old without the correct one that come with the game, look in the game folder and look for a folder called redist most of the time, but some are called different as well, but what should be in there are drx files and other stuff which will make the game more compatible with the system you're using, with a dxr report anything else would be guess work on my side tbh
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

OK, thanks. If I follow you correctly then I'm not inclined to downgrade my system to make it work properly. Wish I had known that was necessary to play the game and I would have passed on it. Is that documented anywhere?

Edit - I checked and don't see any redist folder or anything like that in the game folder.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
warshipbuilder

Post by warshipbuilder »

Check in game volume and your computer volume to make sure both are on.

If anybody can get it working zakblood is the guy to do it, so give him as much info as you can.
warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

I do hear the clicks when I hit any of the buttons. No other sounds play.

WitE alpha/beta tester
Kursk1943

Post by Kursk1943 »

I bought the game last year and never had sound problems. Just made a test out of curiosity: I set the volumes to 40%, but when I started a save game it was back to 100%. [&:]
But that was never a problem for me, because I always leave the sound and music with my games at 100% or default and always adjust the volume at the speaker symbol on the desktop. Perhaps you should try this also: leave music and sound of the game at 100% and lower the volume of your system.
Just in case...you also have to make sure that the "SFX" and the note symbol to the right of the screen (the last two) are activated.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i've checked through all the tech support posts

tm.asp?m=2367836

tt.asp?forumid=744&p=5&tmode=1&smode=1

tm.asp?m=2306977

tm.asp?m=2253089

tm.asp?m=2251498

and posted those which have mentioned sounds being an issue, most had either not had the game updated to latest version, wrong files loaded or not the right files loaded

i'm away atm so will load the game back up again when i'm back and post the screenshot of the game folder and files it needs to work in windows 10, if you have some codec packs installed, now or in the past, they can or do break some files from working, this has also been an issue in the past in most games, but files needed aren't in the latest version of windows same as almost any of them, so come complete with the game of this age, if you don't load them, the game doesn't work.

nearly all the time, the program on installation installs them by default, if you let it, or have the correct permissions to run and install them at the installation stage.

to do this, old games sometimes need administrator rights, so right click on install as admin sets this part up on the install, and say yes to every file it asks to run, no matter what it says.

eg windows 10 can have direct X 10/11 and now for some 12 on it, but the game needs an older version, maybe 9 or lower, so comes with it.

same as directshow .net and or any other type of file it needs, some older games also need a certain windows music player to be the default, some do, some don't, but mostly when a file / sound isn't played correctly but other sounds work in the game, it's a codec issue, so if an upgrade to windows 10 from an older version of windows, sometimes not always mind you, a given file codec can be broken, as it's been overwritten by another file with the same name, or different date etc, which the game doesn't recognise so doesn't play that sound file, but others work, complicated and sounds strange and odd, but it's true all the same[:(]

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: Peter Zimmermann

I bought the game last year and never had sound problems. Just made a test out of curiosity: I set the volumes to 40%, but when I started a save game it was back to 100%. [&:]
But that was never a problem for me, because I always leave the sound and music with my games at 100% or default and always adjust the volume at the speaker symbol on the desktop. Perhaps you should try this also: leave music and sound of the game at 100% and lower the volume of your system.
Just in case...you also have to make sure that the "SFX" and the note symbol to the right of the screen (the last two) are activated.

seems the game then isn't changed or saving the settings altered, that sounds like a permissions issue in my book
Kursk1943

Post by Kursk1943 »

Not sure if it is a permission problem, because the lower settings in "Options" are accepted and the clicking sound is lower accordingly. But if I load a game then, it seems to reset to 100%.
Weird thing I just found out: I pushed the "SFX" button off and on and then there was no sound at all. After maybe pushing the button on for about ten times sound came back all of a sudden with 100%.[&:]
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

I had the same problem as Peter. If you change the sound volume from the Options button under the Eagle Day or BTR drop down menu on the initial screen then there is no button to save your changes. You can hear that the change works when you click the button to exit that screen but once you launch the game the settings revert back to 100%. However if you change the sound settings from Game Options after you start a scenario then there is a button to save your changes and they will take effect for that session. When you quit and restart the game the sounds and music are back to 100%.

I did not initially update to 1.02 because when I went to the Member section and looked for an update it only shows version 1.00 available for download. There is no 1.02 update available to download from there for some reason so I thought 1.00 the latest build. However I updated from the "Check for Update" option on the initial game screen and was able to get 1.02. Updating did not change the fact that I had no sound while playing the game other than hearing the button clicks. I did play a quick single day Eagle Day scenario and after it was over the anthem music did play.

It was at that point that I went back to RTFM again and searched sound. Lo and behold I saw that there are both sound effects and music toggle buttons and that they are both set to Off by default. Clicking them to On solves the problem of course! Just a simple case of operator error. So there is nothing for you to see here citizens. Move along please. [:'(]

WitE alpha/beta tester
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

thanks for the reply, couldn't replicate it here so did wonder tbh what was a miss[8D]

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”