Fatal re-loading error

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Vanman

Fatal re-loading error

Post by Vanman »

Using version 2.2.8. For whatever reason the game is now failing to reload. Please see the attached. Game just won't load up (there was one exception, but it crashed soon afterwards).

Attachments
StevePeterOil.zip
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
Steve
paulderynck

RE: Fatal re-loading error

Post by paulderynck »

Yes something wrong with that file. I saw the same issue and had to force quit MWiF. Can you try an auto save from shortly before this one?
Paul
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

The 'MWIF.exe' error seems to be occurring now even if I attempt to start a new game. Not exactly sure what happened. I cannot
even get an older file at this point. I did attach the bug report though. Hope that helps.
Attachments
bugreport.zip
(5.42 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Steve
Timian

Post by Timian »

Had a similar problem in our game / Had to remove World in Flames from our machines, then install v1.0.0.0 (from CD) and upgrade to v2.2.8.0 . . . Do not try and open the save where the game crashed / Choose an earlier file / If the problem persists, replace the v2.2.8.0 MWiF.exe file (it may be corrupted) / Can send zipped v2.2.8.0 .exe file via PM if needed . . . Hope this helps, Don.
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Looks like the error derives from the creation of Vichy France. The attached save is just before that initiation occurs.
Thereafter, you start getting the consistent error message.

Before I came here, I ended up doing the exact same as Timian. I did replace the 2.2.8.0 MWIF.exe file. The error did always
come up as a 'MWIF.EXE' error so it may very well be corrupted. Thanks.
Attachments
pre_error.zip
(1.56 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Steve
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

I seemed to have been able to get through redoing Vichy setup without any issues (FYI). I noticed a free French Senegalese unit remained behind in Bordeaux after we finished the Vichy phase (it greenlighted us early and I guess I was sloppy and clicked the button when all was not done). That may have been the catalyst.
Steve
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Vanman

Using version 2.2.8. For whatever reason the game is now failing to reload. Please see the attached. Game just won't load up (there was one exception, but it crashed soon afterwards).

This saved game loads cleanly with version 2.3.1.0.

The unit in Bordeaux belongs to Vichy France so it is okay where it is. It should be colored for Vichy (instead of Free France) but the program knows that it is a Vichy unit. Probably the coloring has to do with it being a Militia unit.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Shannon V. OKeets

The bug report shows that the program is unable to write out to the MWIF.INI file. Did that file get damaged or have its access properties changed?

The file is a simple ASCII text file and holds the Player Interface Settings. You could use any old copy of that file to get the game running again.
Steve

Vanman

Post by Vanman »

We had a situation where Vichy France was created when France had conquered Libya (with Brits taking parts of Cyrenica) and Greece also being controlled by France at that time. Perhaps the added complexity damaged the file.

I upgraded to your new hot patch, and you are right that it loaded cleanly, but, when I attempt to adjust the 'player interface setting' I get the MWIF.EXE based error immediately. Even if I continue on with phases and choose to exit the game, I get the error as well. Though I can reload the game and continue on with the same thing occurring.

Sorry, but I am not that technically adept. Where can I garner the MWIF.INI file? I looked for a file in the assorted MWIF folders but I could not find it. I thought I may be able to garner if from the original WIF disc, but that also does not appear possible. Is it possible you could supply it? Thanks.

Steve
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Looks like the MWIF.INI file is equivalent to the MWIF Configuration Setting file. I was able to replace it with a version form my original WIF Disc, but that did not prevent the error from coming up when I try to adjust the 'player interface setting'.
Steve
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

The unit in Bordeaux belongs to Vichy France so it is okay where it is. It should be colored for Vichy (instead of Free France) but the program knows that it is a Vichy unit. Probably the coloring has to do with it being a Militia unit.
I don't understand this. Bordeaux is not part of Vichy France.

Edit: Unless this all happens prior to units being relocated, spiraled, etc.
Paul
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Vanman

Looks like the MWIF.INI file is equivalent to the MWIF Configuration Setting file. I was able to replace it with a version form my original WIF Disc, but that did not prevent the error from coming up when I try to adjust the 'player interface setting'.
You could also try this:

Go to C:\Matrix Games\World in Flames directory and delete the MWiF.INI Edit: better yet rename it to MWiF.INI.BAK
Launch MWiF.
Load any earlier known good auto-save.
Change interface settings as desired.
Save the file.
Exit MWiF.

That should rewrite a good copy of MWiF.INI. Then try your file from before. This may not work but the results should be helpful to troubleshooting.

Paul
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: paulderynck
ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

I don't understand this. Bordeaux is not part of Vichy France.

Edit: Unless this all happens prior to units being relocated, spiraled, etc.
The militia unit from Dakar was in Bordeaux when Vichy France was declared. When Senegal went for Vichy, then the militia unit became controlled by Vichy.

Processing militia units isn't easy. There are a lot of special rules about them. Combine that with the unit not being in its home country when Vichy France is declared and the code gets really complex.
Steve

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

So I will assume that this does happen before the units are relocated.

Given as how Vichy is probably the most complicated rule in the game, it's no wonder it's such a bearcat to program.
Paul

Return to “Tech Support”