NKVD Border Regiments not disbanding?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

BlueAndGray

NKVD Border Regiments not disbanding?

Post by BlueAndGray »

Section 18.5.1 talks about all of the NKVD Border Regiments disbanding at a rate that I would think they would all be gone by the end of September 1941. I'm in October of 1941 and I still have 25 of the original 36(?) NKVD Border Regiments and there have been 0 NKVD disbands in the last 4 turns (from checking the Destroyed Units section of the Losses window). I believe 4 of them might be frozen, but that leaves 21 that should have disbanded by now.

So does anybody know if they will ever disband? If not I would need to spend the admin points to get them out of my frontline commands so I can fit in combat units without going over the command cap. I suppose I have enough admin points that I can afford it, but I'd prefer not to pay for the privilege of having my units disbanded if the rules say they should be disbanded for free.

Section from the manual (I'm on v1.08.08):
v1.05.18 - September 6, 2011
NKVD Border Regiments check for disbanding each friendly logistics phase starting in July 1941. The chance the unit will be disbanded is as follows:
 July 1941 - 100% - %TOE of the unit
 August 1941 - 80%
 September 1941 and later - 95%
Stelteck

RE: NKVD Border Regiments not disbanding?

Post by Stelteck »

Get them to battle and they will disband sooner. Never refit them.
Brakes are for cowards !!
morvael

Post by morvael »

See 1.08.00 new feature #138
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

In my game it is the last week in August 41 and I have 7 left, 4 of which are in the Caucasus. Like already has been said, get them to the front.
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: johntoml56

In my game it is the last week in August 41 and I have 7 left, 4 of which are in the Caucasus. Like already has been said, get them to the front.

Hehehehe, see how long it takes you to move the NKVD regiments with ZERO movement points to the front in the Caucasus :)
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
BlueAndGray

Post by BlueAndGray »

ORIGINAL: morvael

See 1.08.00 new feature #138

Ouch - it looks like I've found the patch note you mentioned detailing the change which just never made it into the manual. I'd been using them half and half as reserves (many of which have 3-5 engagements) and the other half as what I'd imagined security troops to be so in the rear and holding cities and fortifications that I didn't want to decay. I'll spend the admin points on the high strength ones and let STAVKA deal with those and move the lower strength ones to the front lines where I can fit them in.

Thanks guys!

(including the patch note in case anybody had missed it)

138.Reduced chances to disband NKVD Border Regiments to 25%, and only if
they are below 50% TOE. They still don't get replacements, so this will eventually
happen. They can also be disbanded when routed with 20% chance. This was made
to allow limited use for these units in some scenarios, like “Moscow 41-42”, in which
their contribution may be important during the first two turns. Actually, some of these
units fought until 1945.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”