Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelton (No Pelton Zone)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

HardLuckYetAgain

RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelton (No Pelton Zone)

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: Dinglir
ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain
U-2's (all versions) are the first factories I move turn 3 to the welcoming arms of the Germans. So much for so little imho on these airframes, so I just dispense with the nonsense and circular file them. Just start building out your Tactical squadrons Turn 1 by consolidating them on a few airbases and bombing lead german units. After a few turns you should easily have a couple of guard Tactical units. On turn 8 start building 2 to 4 tactical squadrons a turn since you are receiving over 70+ frames a turn from Voronezh.

Personally, I feel I have had a lot of success using it to bomb German infantry on secondary fronts. At a build cost of 81, you get 10 of these for every one IL-4 you can build.

You mean IL2's don't you? You use the correct calculation?
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
Dinglir

Post by Dinglir »

As this is Seltecks AAR, I will not turn it into a discussion forum over the merits of the U-2VS.

I will finish my involment in that discussion by stating that I stand by my arguments that the U-2VS is a good investment if used right and that the use of IL-2's to bomb the German spearheads in no way preclude the use of U-2VS to bomb the German infantry on secondary fronts.
To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

My conclusion on the subject is that the U2-VS could be usefull but need a lot of micromanagement&time for it and time is precious.

Managing entire soviet army is already really time consuming so i think i will use my turn time on something with more immediate benefits [:)]
Brakes are for cowards !!
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

My turn .... Was not very good.

I tried a counter attack in the flank that was a complete failure; with 1 Armies, 6/7 tank corps and a cavalry shock army. I was hoping to reach the HQ in the middle that supply the entire ennemy armored spearhead.

Unfortunately my rookie tank corps, badly led and organized, performed very poorly. Hundred of tanks have been lost.

Second point, my opponent moved all airfield and tons of luftwaffe very close to the front. The amount of air interdiction was really heavy and a lots of troops were not able to engage in deliberated attacks due to air interdiction raid. Very good move for my opponent. I will have to remember to do the same.

In a desesparate attempt to slow down the ennemy, i then flooded the area with brigades of all sorts.....

chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

Winter is over....those starting odds were 1:1 basically.....you wont win any battles at initial 1:1 odds until late 1943 again. German leaders are better, and only with effective air strikes, and lots of artillery support from rocket brigades/artillery divisions will you have a chance at 1:1 odds for initial attacks.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Attacking with tank corps alone is a 99% fail until 1944. They don't have enough combat power unless you're beating up on Axis brigades. And you see now there is a combat penalty assigning tank corps directly to Military Districts. And yes, Gerasimenko sucks as a tank leader. Tank corps should go to leaders with Mech 5 rating minimum.

Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

Attacking with tank corps alone is a 99% fail until 1944. They don't have enough combat power unless you're beating up on Axis brigades. And you see now there is a combat penalty assigning tank corps directly to Military Districts. And yes, Gerasimenko sucks as a tank leader. Tank corps should go to leaders with Mech 5 rating minimum.

True but i do not have tank armies yet.
I was expecting to use airbone corps for early management of tank corps, but corps are not allowed in these HQ.
So now these tanks are in infantry support role.
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

I was expecting to use airbone corps for early management of tank corps, but corps are not allowed in these HQ.
This is possible. Split the corps into brigades, assign them to the HQ then recombine them.

M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

A tank army has a cap of 15. That's 3 corps. Each airborne HQ has a cap of 9. That's 2 corps. Without overload, a tank army could only benefit from the extra leader role with 1-2 corps HQ. Not much benefit there as you don't have a lot of good mech leaders anyways. Some of these good mech leaders are just as well off commanding guards rifle armies as opposed to tank armies. I disband all the airborne HQs for the manpower. Less clutter in the end too.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Turn 50 : 28 May 1942.

Frontal assault of moscow is still in progress !!!

The mean invader managed to draw my elite guarrison away from Western Moscow !!!! With quite light losses for a such a well fortified town.
He had to use 12 divisions to take it.
Fortunately he is not in position to attack main moscow with a such a force yet.
And next turn, i will be able to begin constructing rifle corps (at a high pp price). These rifles corps, unlike tank corps, will worth 3 rifle divisions and be very efficient in WW1 line battle like this.

Now the terrible battle of voronev. Last turn i sent 50 tanks brigades in order to try to slow down the ennemy while gathering shock cavalry armies to counter attack german offensive. Unfortunately i undersestimated the german strengh and in the biggest tank battle in history, all my defenses have been crushed.

Around 30 regular infantry divisions are now encercled in Voronev. The trap is 2 line large and i could maybe break one, but not too. It looks like the battle of voronev is lost.

The good news, i have no elite armies nor cavalry inside. The bad news, i have 2 tanks corps.

In south some more divisions did not withdrawn in time.
This time i think i can break the encerclement with the cavalry corps in place, but if i do it, i may loose far more the next turn. So i may cut my looses and go back.

At least, casualties have been heavy and for the first time, germany reach more than 1 millions looses.

Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Ok let's see the big picture.

Now i'am beginning to have a clear view of ennemy offensive.

He chooses to attack around voronev, which is a place lightly defended, and from here he have a lot of options. He can go north to moscow, or south to stalingrad and the caucasus.

The good thing is that both moscow and caucasus are quite far away.

The battle of voronev is lost and i will not stop dead german offensive. So i need now to control it.

My priority is still moscow.

My plan is now to keep strong defense north and to send him further and further east in the search of a north passage, always with the risk of being attacked in the flank by my corps.

If i can convince him to finaly go south, bonus point.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Turn 51 : 04 June 1942

A sad day for the soviet union.

200 000 isolated soviet soldiers, from the southern front have been captured by the evil german !!! They will also have plundered a lot of equipment and i fear that i will have to face more german T-34 in the future. (I already killed 80 of them).

The good news is that i'am beginning to have spare tanks in my stockpile. Currently, around 1000.

The ennemy now try to assault northern moscow !!! But it is not as easy as west moscow.

Still the ennemy slowly decrease fortification level. But it is probably too late as now i'am able to create rifle corps !!!!!

[&o]

A rifle corps is created by merging 3 soviet infantry units and unlike tank corps, is immediatly a fearsome fighting force !!! At least i have a unit that can go on part with a german infantry division.

These first rifle corps (created from guard division, so they are guard too [8D]) will help defend moscow.

I will first convert the guarrison of moscow and my 3 elite armies.

Their weakness is that they cost a lot of expansive armement so i cannot create too much. But they are cheaper than 3 divisions in manpower.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Not wise to merge 3 divisions. Better to do it with 2 divisions and a brigade. That way you effectively turn a brigade into a division for free.
Farfarer61

Post by Farfarer61 »

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

Not wise to merge 3 divisions. Better to do it with 2 divisions and a brigade. That way you effectively turn a brigade into a division for free.

It has been awhile, but I recall that if you manage the "merge brigades to divisions" cycle, then merge two divisions plus a brigade, and and use the minimum number of Guards units in this process to end up with a Guards Corps, you get these over strength monster corps which will eventually reduce to their correct size, but not before being very useful, particularly with Sappers or whatever SU is the best available added to them.

Also by consuming Guards divisions and brigades, a bunch more are created next turn as you are now under the Guards Unit Cap, and you likely had units qualified but queued up to become Guards.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

I used 2 guard divisions and one regular brigade to create the guard corps. But i may have to create some additional brigades for this [;)]
ericv

Post by ericv »

did you know, that you can merge all but 4 of the naval rifle brigades into divisions and/or corps? Only the first 4 rifle brigades with the lowest numbers cannot be merged. I believe 3, 4, 5 and 6. or maybe 3,4,5 and 8. I forgot.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

ORIGINAL: ericv

did you know, that you can merge all but 4 of the naval rifle brigades into divisions and/or corps? Only the first 4 rifle brigades with the lowest numbers cannot be merged. I believe 3, 4, 5 and 6. or maybe 3,4,5 and 8. I forgot.

Seriously there are 4 rifle brigades that are impossible to merge ? LOL.
ericv

Post by ericv »

I have very little operational or strategic input to offer you.. I do know some of these more obscure things, always thought it strange that there were just 4 brigades unmergeable
ericv

Post by ericv »

anyway, good luck with the coming battles. things are not looking that favorably for you
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Turn done !!!

Some german divisions were trying to advance and were punished...

Note that my air force have a hard time fighting german Messerschmitt.

Speaking of the air force, i noticed that roumanian, italian, etc... air force are quite weak !!

So i attack and bomb them as soon as possible !!!

Return to “After Action Reports”