Hacksaw Ridge

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Curtis Lemay

Hacksaw Ridge

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Thumbs up. I may have to see it again before final verdict, though. It probably compares best with "We were soldiers once" than anything else. I was re-reading the part of "Operation Iceberg" that pertains to this battle before I went and it sounds like the details in that book are just as in the movie (the book specifically discussed Doss).

For the record, "Hacksaw Ridge" is what the Americans nicknamed it. Officially it was the "Maeda Escarpment". I have it on my Okinawa scenario (see attached shot). It's fortified with a major escarpment in front - the toughest defensive position on the island.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Ranger33

RE: Hacksaw Ridge

Post by Ranger33 »

Looking forward to seeing it. Have heard nothing but good things. Doss is really fascinating in that he didn't do just one or two things to win his MoH, he risked his life dozens of times to save others. He did this sort of thing at several battles, and even when he was wounded more than once. (Not to diminish the heroics of anyone else)

Without venturing into flame war territory, I would just like to say I'm excited to have Mel Gibson making movies again. His talent was being wasted during his banishment from Hollywood.
Pvt_Grunt

Post by Pvt_Grunt »

I just saw an ad for it yesterday. It was interesting how it said "From the maker of Passion of the Christ and Braveheart" but didnt mention Mel......
I guess hes still in the Hollywood bad books.[:-]
wodin

Post by wodin »

Passion was excellent..
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Passion was excellent..

+1. And Apocalypto.

Had they told me (in the 80s) Gibson would become a film director I would have inmediately called the nearest lunatic asylum.

Still, I don't think I will be watching this one. The story does not interest me, that's all.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

I have it on my Okinawa scenario (see attached shot).

Scenario? What game is it?
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

I have it on my Okinawa scenario (see attached shot).

Scenario? What game is it?

TOAW. See this link on my site:

http://crossrl1.wixsite.com/my-toaw-site/okinawa-1945
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Mel Gibson directs very well for movies, if you ask me. His career was derailed by some of his craziness, but all "geniuses" have some sort of craziness, don't they?
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Thank you Lemay.
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

For Gore....10. For Being over done on the battle scene's.....6.5(compared to Reality). Saving Private Ryan was much better in actual tactical movement of a unit(Bunching up)(hand carrying hot barrel of 30 cal.).

But worth seeing. Where I live, the Popcorn cost as much as the movie. [:)]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
wodin

Post by wodin »

I worry about if it drips with Hollywood sickly sentimentality...the trailers haven't eased my concerns..plus the subject matter is perfect for it. Though normally Mel stays clear of that kind of thing.

Apocalypto, Passion and not sure if he directed it but loved it any way was We Were Soldiers (good book too, though read Dak To and Steel My Soldiers Hearts around the same time which I preferred). Great War film and I feel under rated as hardly ever mentioned I feel when it comes to top war film lists etc..

Though call me odd as I think I'm one of the very few who loved Thin Red Line..not sure why people hated it..I loved the cinematography and whole atmosphere of that film.
rocketman71

Post by rocketman71 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Though call me odd as I think I'm one of the very few who loved Thin Red Line..not sure why people hated it..I loved the cinematography and whole atmosphere of that film.
It is one of my favourite movies of all genres and probably one of the top War movies (along with Apocalypse Now Redux, Full Metal Jacket and A Bridge Too Far). I can watch it over and over again. I have even read the book. If you watch it again make sure to notice the eyes of the soldiers. I have almost never seen acting without words been so persuasive. I also love the philosophical voice over, which I guess some people hate.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I feel the same way about Thin Red Line. There are a lot of really beautiful and haunting shots, and the battle scenes are good. I guess some people don't like the philosophical bits, but I think there is room for different takes on war films. Just like if you read memoirs about the war from different people, even though they all had similar experiences, the way they talk about it can be wildly different.
Challerain

Post by Challerain »

According to History vs Hollywood the movie is pretty close to real life. Mel even left out some things thinking that the audience would never believe it.

Link
decaro

Post by decaro »

Thumbs up. I may have to see it again before final verdict, though. It probably compares best with "We were soldiers once" than anything else....

Didn't Gibson star in "We were soldiers once"?
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
wodin

Post by wodin »

Joe: Yes he did.

Rocketboy and Ranger: I'd take philosophical over sentimentality or silly love story any day.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Finally saw this today. I thought it was really well done. Certainly comparable to Saving Private Ryan, though I think the D-Day landing in SPR still reigns supreme for brutal and realistic battle scenes. There were a couple of silly and completely unnecessary bits here. That said, there was gore and blown off limbs galore, not for the squeamish.

Anyway, the film overall is great in every other way as well. This is a film about a strongly religious man that does not beat you over the head with scripture, instead it gives an even shake to the different views involved. The non-war scenes were good and interesting to watch. There's a love story but it moves along swiftly, there's a court drama that hits the highlights and keeps going, etc. There are also some hilarious parts sprinkled in.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

if it's anything like unbroken, i'll watch it and be left with a feeling of "yea right, nobody but superman could and laugh"

Saving Private Ryan wasn't great for me either, like many war films now days it shows a mainly one sided super hero USA we won the war single handed approach, with super soldiers carrying and firing more ammo than a truck, unbelievable and over the top action and typical Hollywood action followed by almost total calm when others are taking, looks good in a movie but life i'd guess in real life is nothing like it in facts, this is where movies and real war part company.

even when is based on true events, they tart it up to be over the top and imo it spoils it, war isn't about always looking good, always having supply, the other side is always evil and useless while you are super human, tanned and clean shaven and fresh looking, built like a truck Rambo style.

war movies are more now days trying to change history and re write it, same tbh as any victors after the event, the facts and events get marred into fiction and over telling one side with a given group always seeming to be the good guys against evil, as that sells, throw in a love story, a hunk and a up against the odd's story and it sells, but is it correct or event half the truth, well nobody knows, and almost nobody cares either, wave a flag, sing a song while being shot, "it's just a scratch" when half your leg has gone, is laughable but makes movies.

all quite on the western front was better
tally ho (the dam busters) was good

films like the bridge on the river kwai and the longest day are war proper gander and the great escape etc more than actual events etc

zulu while watchable, was a laugh at times as well, with cross of Iron being well done, but poorly acted in parts, but a ok story

i wont mention so called films like Fury as like many there too much Hollywood again, so as you can see i have quite an opinion, and for most it will be the wrong one, but that's fine as it's mine and my own.

we all enjoy things differently and see what we want to see, and watch what we enjoy, for different reasons, for me as soon as i laugh in a war film too often, i know it's funny, and war was never fun and not ever meant to be...
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Looking forward to see this too. Mel does make some good movies though, I don't agreed with all of them, but still good efforts into it.
sablewyvern

Post by sablewyvern »

ORIGINAL: Challerain

According to History vs Hollywood the movie is pretty close to real life. Mel even left out some things thinking that the audience would never believe it.

Link

I'd heard nothing about this before I went to see it (my sister won some tickets to a prerelease screening, and invited me along). I spent most of the movie thinking "This is a bit unbelievable, but would make an awesome true story". I was over half way through before I started to realise it probably was a true story.

Looked him up after the movie, and his real-life exploits were even more impressive than what was shown.

Return to “General Discussion”