USN Torpedo Dud Rate

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

dave sindel

USN Torpedo Dud Rate

Post by dave sindel »

From the manual -

"6.4.2.1 NOTE ON TORPEDO DUDS
In January 1943, all torpedoes with a dud rate of greater than 49 have their dud rates reduced
by 20. In September 1943, all torpedoes with an adjusted dud rate greater than 20 have their
dud rates lowered to 10. Allied torpedoes were notoriously inefficient in the early stages of the
Pacific War, and this rule reflects their slow but steady improvement over the years."

My question is this - do subs that are at sea and on patrol when the calendar turns to September 1943 see this dud rate reduction occur automatically ? I am assuming that it is date driven, and the subs dont have to go back to port to replenish with "better" torpedoes. But I'd like to be sure so that I can plan for it if needed.
btd64

RE: USN Torpedo Dud Rate

Post by btd64 »

Yes the date is what matters. No return to port required....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

I am still seeing a lot of "hits" with no explosion on my combat reports in mid September. I suspect that the actual date comes at the end of September, but who knows. JWE also stated in one of his posts that although it is not in the rule book, Allied surface gunnery gets a boost to reflect the better radar and fire control systems. He did not know or specify the date though.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
dave sindel

Post by dave sindel »

Thanks for the response GP.
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

ORIGINAL: dave sindel

My question is this - do subs that are at sea and on patrol when the calendar turns to September 1943 see this dud rate reduction occur automatically ?

Great question firstly. Cheers.

It never occurred to me.

I would add though that it "seems to me" all the subs in the Pacific upgrade between 8 / 42 and especially 6 / 43. A healthy number on the back end of that date. I didn't look at the database on this but it is my general impression.

Depending upon your deployment I would assume that your rotational upgrades are going to have to happen anyway..
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I am still seeing a lot of "hits" with no explosion on my combat reports in mid September. I suspect that the actual date comes at the end of September, but who knows. JWE also stated in one of his posts that although it is not in the rule book, Allied surface gunnery gets a boost to reflect the better radar and fire control systems. He did not know or specify the date though.
If the original 80% dud rate is only reduced by (20+10) you still have 50% duds to grit your teeth about! [:@]

I think the allied gunnery boost was Jan. 1 1944 (although I am not positive) because I remember a discussion that it should have been earlier to reflect the RL battle of Empress Augusta Bay where the Cleveland class cruisers got first salvo hits on a Japanese CL.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

If the original 80% dud rate is only reduced by (20+10) you still have 50% duds to grit your teeth about! [:@]

I think the allied gunnery boost was Jan. 1 1944 (although I am not positive) because I remember a discussion that it should have been earlier to reflect the RL battle of Empress Augusta Bay where the Cleveland class cruisers got first salvo hits on a Japanese CL.

This is complete news to me. My reaction is:

What what what???

I mean seriously?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Yes - Bill confirmed this several months ago. No message appears to let you know it happened - it is just built into the game at a specific date.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
dave sindel

Post by dave sindel »

I didnt read it that way. The manual excerpt I quoted says in January 1943 the dud rate is reduced "BY 20", but in September it says "TO 10" not "BY 10". A 10% dud rate would seem more in line with the improvement in torpedoes in RL.

I'm in February 43, and it seems my subs have been doing better of late. I havent been keeping close track, it's just a sense that I am seeing more hits. I am sure hoping to see a major improvement come September / October.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I didnt read it that way. The manual excerpt I quoted says in January 1943 the dud rate is reduced "BY 20", but in September it says "TO 10" not "BY 10". A 10% dud rate would seem more in line with the improvement in torpedoes in RL.

I'm in February 43, and it seems my subs have been doing better of late. I havent been keeping close track, it's just a sense that I am seeing more hits. I am sure hoping to see a major improvement come September / October.
Oops - you are correct - nice catch!
Must be just bad luck on the die rolls that crsutton is seeing a lot of duds still - or he let his crews drink all the torpedo juice!
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

You are correct. All torpedoes on both sides have a 10% dud rate after this date. Yeah, could just be that I am sensitive to the hit with no explosion message. I am operating my subs in a conflicted area with heavy enemy ASW assets and that could be why I am not having more success. Will start spreading them back out soon.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Keep in mind that the January reduction of 20 still means most U.S. torpedoes will have dud rates of 60. That's still quite high.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
spence

Post by spence »

Same as the IJN dud rate for the 800 kg AP bomb - easy to ignore.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”