LCU Commander Skills

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

SheperdN7

LCU Commander Skills

Post by SheperdN7 »

Looking in the manual for how to get maximum combat efficiency from my ground troops and their commanders for I am quite confused with the "Land" skill (and all other skills I should add) I think that the understanding that I have with these skills are that Leadership and Inspiration are the most important but if so, why is there a land skill and what does it do? Heck, what does Inspiration skill even do, other than give good battle speeches?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv2ONRJ9tMQ

Cmsr.V. Durasov

Leadership 63
Inspiration 10000
Land 38
Admin 0
Naval 29 (Commanded that boat pretty good![:D])
Air 2
Aggression 98
Political points to change: 250
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner
geofflambert

RE: LCU Commander Skills

Post by geofflambert »

You are dangerously close to entering a zone of wasted political points. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y

Be wary.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Transfer the dumbasses to posts that require little. Transfer the best, leadership and aggression are the indicators to watch, to the front lines where the action requires competence. Don't worry about that other stuff.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

If you actually discover a PGT Beauregard, place him at your weakest point.

SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

Well what does Aggression do for a LCU? Unlike Air units, land units WILL attack when I tell them to, regardless of aggression.

I loved the TZ reference and video btw[&o]
Current Games:

SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

and I'll be honest, had to google the Beauregard reference. Canadian[;)]
Current Games:

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Beauregard was a master at how do you defeat a superior foe and sometimes making him wish he'd never heard your name. Aggression in a commander will measure whether he will sit on his backside or take advantage of a situation that presents itself. Unless your strategy is to collapse as slowly as possible to bide for time, aggression in a commander is your friend. If you are playing the Japanese side, watch out for samurai swords. But, you know, they might usher you into a better reality.

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

IIRC, Inspiration affects how fast your unit gain experience in operations/combat.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Administration impacts how fast units recover morale, disruption and disablements.

With an Admin of zero the guy will never get supplies requisitioned for his troops.
Hans

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

IIRC, Inspiration affects how fast your unit gain experience in operations/combat.
First time I heard that, but this forum is a gold mine of first time info! [:)]

I always thought inspirations was what kept the troops from breaking and running when they still had some fighting strength left.
Inspiration should affect morale. Land Skill and leadership should influence rate of experience gain (at least in training).
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
mussey

Post by mussey »

There is an excellent post but I can't remember from who or where its located that explains precisely what each of these traits do for all services and unit type. I have it printed at home.

Does anyone have this link?
Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: mussey

There is an excellent post but I can't remember from who or where its located that explains precisely what each of these traits do for all services and unit type. I have it printed at home.

Does anyone have this link?

Nobody but the devs know exactly. It has never been fully described. Lots of people think they know, and a lot know some, but no player knows all.
The Moose
mussey

Post by mussey »

I found it but unable to copy/paste the link:

"How to choose leaders", posted by wwengr 2010. Check it out[;)]
Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: mussey

I found it but unable to copy/paste the link:

"How to choose leaders", posted by wwengr 2010. Check it out[;)]

I repeat, no player knows.

Alfred can weigh ion if he likes.
The Moose
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

never mind
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Here's the link to the best guess out there of what leader skills do (thanks, Mussey). There's also a chart which I have bookmarked on my home computer which is extremely useful.

EDIT: Here's a link to the leadership chart (post #29). Between these two references, you'll have as good idea as any non-developer what leadership skills do in different situations. On the chart, the most important skill for the particular situation is red, followed by yellow, followed by green.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

duplicate post
Member since January 2007 (as Gray_Lensman)

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Computering since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Here's the link to the best guess out there of what leader skills do (thanks, Mussey). There's also a chart which I have bookmarked on my home computer which is extremely useful.

EDIT: Here's a link to the leadership chart (post #28). Between these two references, you'll have as good idea as any non-developer what leadership skills do in different situations. On the chart, the most important skill for the particular situation is red, followed by yellow, followed by green.

Cheers,
CC

A very important post in that thread is #30 by JWE.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Incorrect - this is Leadership. This isn't just for land units, it's for everything. Ships and pilots too.

ORIGINAL: SheperdN7

Well what does Aggression do for a LCU? Unlike Air units, land units WILL attack when I tell them to, regardless of aggression.

I loved the TZ reference and video btw[&o]

If leader Aggression is low, you may see a leaders(-) on your combat report, meaning a negative affect on your AV. This seems to only apply on attacks... a helpful hint is that, if you pay close attention when looking through the list of leaders to select a new one, those with higher Aggression (IIRC higher than 50?) and high enough Land skill (again, IIRC higher than 50) will be recommended as "Assault" commanders. Those with the good Land skill but poor Aggression will be rated as "Combat" commanders.

Inspiration also affects AV in an attack IIRC, so you want: Land, Aggression, Inspiration for commanders in attacking units (with Admin as high as you can get it to help with repairing disabled devices). For defending LCUs, you probably just want Land, Inspiration, and Admin (with Aggression as high as you can get it in case you want to counterattack).

You also want to look at Leadership, of course, if you care about your unit's XP increasing from combat.

You can completely ignore Air and Naval.
SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

Thank you all for this input, especially those charts Commander Cody :)
If leader Aggression is low, you may see a leaders(-) on your combat report, meaning a negative affect on your AV. This seems to only apply on attacks... a helpful hint is that, if you pay close attention when looking through the list of leaders to select a new one, those with higher Aggression (IIRC higher than 50?) and high enough Land skill (again, IIRC higher than 50) will be recommended as "Assault" commanders. Those with the good Land skill but poor Aggression will be rated as "Combat" commanders.

So "combat" is meant for a defence force, while "assault" is meant for a offensive force.

Also do lower ranking commanders gain skills faster than higher ranking officers?
Current Games:

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”