Sensor dialogue and range ring

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

DONNIE67

Sensor dialogue and range ring

Post by DONNIE67 »

Hello.

Can someone pls explain the following:

1. For the sensor dialogue box- the difference between a check mark and solid box fill

2.for sonar range ring- the difference between a thick green ring versus a thin green ring.

Thank you for your assistance and best regards.
ColonelMolerat

RE: Sensor dialogue and range ring

Post by ColonelMolerat »

1. I thiiiink a solid box fill means that some of the sensors of that type are on. Eg, if 'Sonar' has a solid box fill, it means that only some of the unit's sonar are set to active. A check would mean they are all set to active (and no check would mean they were all set to passive).

2. Do you mean the very thick, semi-transparent green rings? These are 'convergence zones'. You'll have to look them up for real detail, but basically, in deep water, sonar heading down is curved back up to the surface by changes in water temperature. This makes all sonar emitted in the same direction (but at different angles) 'arrive' at roughly the same place on the surface (rather than spreading out more evenly as it does in shallower water). As a result, sonar can only detect objects in these 'convergence zones'. Anything in the areas between them won't be picked up.

So basically, you can only detect objects within these green rings. Anything outside of them won't be picked up by your sonar.

I may have got some details slightly wrong there, but the conclusion is correct!
DONNIE67

RE: Sensor dialogue and range ring

Post by DONNIE67 »

Thank you for your helpful reply to my questions

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”