What's next for Codeforce?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Blabsawaw22

RE: What's next for Codeforce?

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

haha.. actually What's really funny, Is that I am flying overseas to England and I'll have no time at all to "bother" people here.. I'll be making pretty good money every month.. that's the good news!

so the mods can stop worrying about anything after a week haha..
Premislaus

Post by Premislaus »

People wonder why some games are less popular than others, eg. Paradox games sells better.

Stellaris 393,652 ± 15,681 (Release date: May 9, 2016) vs. Distant Worlds 42,265 ± 5,141 (Release date: May 23, 2014).

http://steamspy.com/app/281990
http://steamspy.com/app/261470

I know that Distant Worlds was firstly published in 2010. And probably there are many more players. Also due to the higher price of Distant Worlds, developer and publisher can earn more money.

tm.asp?m=3303077&mpage=1&key=
tm.asp?m=3312181

Where is key point? Marketing. We need some dev diaries, early screenshots, concepts.
Athelas2211

Post by Athelas2211 »

Exacly. Being silent never helped Matrix. Learn from Stellaris PR, plays with Devs, mini games, steam forum hype etcetc
Dev diaries, engine and gfx discussions,
Address fears from community and annoumce some goodies like
MP yes/no?
Gfx 2D/3d and a few teasers?
Etc
playing RTS, strategy and RPG games from ...ever?
Japhet

Post by Japhet »

Eh, I doubt that dev diaries and early screenshots had that much effect on the sales. Stellaris sold better than DW simply by being developed by a bigger and more well known company, which already released several other big series. It is more of a "from the makers of Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings - the new space strategy game Stellaris!" -effect.

And Paradox games own a lot of their popularity to screenshot & youtube lets plays.

That being said, a little more information on the sequel would be nice. [;)]
phoagne

Post by phoagne »

Yeah, Paradox is Paradox, but Dev Diaries would be nice. And I know a few 4X fan groups, who will like to share it and even translate to their language. It is not a big PR, but it's something.
And it's went almost a year since your first "We are working on a new game"
Sorry for bad english.
LordMM

Post by LordMM »

Yes, Dev Diaries , some information, screen shots would be useful.
You don't need a spend an ounce on PR. Simply giving free copies and making a good game and giving the early Beta access to youtube lets players will help a lot in the PR campaign
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly, than to live somebody else's life with perfection.
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

I think the popularity of Paradox was originally built with great games, and they were able to have a large variety in different spanning eras (something you can do historically, but cannot with a future/space title). People playing one jumped into the next, building momentum.

Also, its market penetration has been greatly increased by a large YouTube Let's Play population. You have individuals with over half a million subscribers playing Paradox titles. Distant Worlds is a difficult title for a casual gamer to pick-up, which you could say about the hearts of iron series, but what's more is it *feels* like a difficult game to pickup (for reasons I'm not entirely sure, at least partially the interface). Larry Monte was surely a reason why people had become more interested in this game.

I am immensely excited about an upcoming DW2 release! Small wonder, as I'm still excited by the DW Universe and the patches [:D]

Matrix Games on YouTube isn't really a big platform, they should consider getting people like Dastactic to do preview build stuff. Dev diaries only fuel the community who already knows about DW2, but you've gotta spread the word for people to even be able to find dev diaries.
Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
Japhet

Post by Japhet »

Exactly what I was trying to say, but way better worded.

Premislaus

Post by Premislaus »

http://steamspy.com/app/261470 - 3945 more players :), thanks to the price drop.
phoagne

Post by phoagne »

Maybe a date of announcement at least?
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

ORIGINAL: Premislaus

http://steamspy.com/app/261470 - 3945 more players :), thanks to the price drop.

Can someone explain this to me? Why are there drops in the owners? It seems too numerous to be the refund service. (What does it mean to be an owner?)
Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

The site is not official, and they estimate owners from some kind of public steam data. So, measurement error.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”