Mod for Turn 1 Support Unit Re-Distribution?

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, bcgames

rainman2015

Mod for Turn 1 Support Unit Re-Distribution?

Post by rainman2015 »

Has anyone ever considered a mod that would allow the Germans (and the Soviets with some restrictions, not sure how to do that one though) to redistribute their support units at the game start, just so that you don't have to spend 4 turns reorganizing support units tediously while units are on the move?

Honestly, it would not be that big an advantage to the Germans, other than APs not expended, so maybe the 'cost' would be to charge the Germans a certain number of APs per turn over the first few turns. I would go for that!

I am guessing it would be a pain to do though in the editor, getting them where you want them on turn 1 start.

Randy
:)
swkuh

RE: Mod for Turn 1 Support Unit Re-Distribution?

Post by swkuh »

Good point, Randy. My pet peeve, for sure.

Playing Axis, one finds several HQs that have very unrealistic assignments. Of course, if one built a custom game through the editor assume it could be corrected. (But learning the editor is not something I'd like to do.) I use the commanders' report to set commitment levels(?) and play along. Gets right in time.
rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

Yeah, i work around it, but it requires a total redistribution on the move in a very unrealistic way until i get it right, and a lot of micro-management that is a pain

Randy
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

One way to do this is just put them all in OKH/STAVKA to start.
A game

Post by A game »

ORIGINAL: rmonical

One way to do this is just put them all in OKH/STAVKA to start.

I actually do this in a limited fashion, for example with the Axis I set the worst offending Corp Hqs (some with 20+ SU?!) to 0, and send the SU's all back up to OKH to redistribute later. I keep most of the other Hqs locked so some SU are still in action. The problem with this is it still takes time and those SU are not doing anything in the first few critical turns of the game, so Im sure this isnt the most optimal strategy. But micro managing it all drives me a bit nuts...

But Im not sure how it would be best to change it as part of this game is dealing with the historical set ups of both german and soviet armies.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Hmmm... rmonical's tip needs to be tried.
rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

What i do, given the situation where you can't distribute BEFORE turn 1, is to:

1) Set ALL German Corps and Armies (including Pz Army) HQs to zero on turn 1
2) Set ALL German AG and OKH to 9 on turn 1
3) Let the support units flow back turn 1 to the army HQs and turn 2 to the Army Group HQ (and both turns from AGs to OKH)
4) Turn 2, i go ahead and start distributing back to the corps and lock the corps, but only lock the corps
5) Turn 3 i lock the army HQ and continue distributing downward again, still allowing anything left over to flow up from AG to OKH (even easier to distribute from OKH with less admin points in some cases)

Eventually, i lock everything

All the support units are available for use on turn 1, and the corps are only missing some on turns 2 and fewer on turn 3, 4, etc, exactly the turns when they least need them.

Not ideal, since it is a lot of hassle, and you are missing support units for a few turns, but it sorts itself out in 2-4 turns and with very few admin points needed, since all the distribution is DOWNward, not up or sideways.

Randy

rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

I also distribute directly to panzer/motorized divisions individually as early as possible, again, without using any admin points.

Randy
Balou

Post by Balou »

ORIGINAL: rainman2015

What i do, given the situation where you can't distribute BEFORE turn 1, is to:

1) Set ALL German Corps and Armies (including Pz Army) HQs to zero on turn 1
2) Set ALL German AG and OKH to 9 on turn 1
3) Let the support units flow back turn 1 to the army HQs and turn 2 to the Army Group HQ (and both turns from AGs to OKH)
4) Turn 2, i go ahead and start distributing back to the corps and lock the corps, but only lock the corps
5) Turn 3 i lock the army HQ and continue distributing downward again, still allowing anything left over to flow up from AG to OKH (even easier to distribute from OKH with less admin points in some cases)

Eventually, i lock everything

All the support units are available for use on turn 1, and the corps are only missing some on turns 2 and fewer on turn 3, 4, etc, exactly the turns when they least need them.

Not ideal, since it is a lot of hassle, and you are missing support units for a few turns, but it sorts itself out in 2-4 turns and with very few admin points needed, since all the distribution is DOWNward, not up or sideways.

Randy

I would add

6) have a look at corps/army hqs and reassign pioneer bns, because they (same goes for constr bns) don't respond to automatic transfer up the chain of command.

Overall it takes 3 turns where some SU's are unavailable while on the move, but I saves tons of APs.
“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”