Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa or GG war in the East?

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

mannerheim4

RE: Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa or GG war in the East?

Post by mannerheim4 »

ORIGINAL: demjansk

Sky,

How do you play only AGS? If you have it on a campaign game dont you still need to manage the other two theaters?

Road to Kiev scenario...

I think WITE has a much more realistic combat engine. The DC engine needs work and I believe that there are a number of issues that I addressed elsewhere. Blitzkrieg and combined arms is much better simulated in WITE. But the strategic level decisions of DC makes it intriguing.
mannerheim4

Post by mannerheim4 »

ORIGINAL: demjansk

Sky,

How do you play only AGS? If you have it on a campaign game dont you still need to manage the other two theaters?

Sure, if you play the campaign game. You can play as an Army Group or as the entire German/Soviet Army. If you play as the Soviets, it becomes interesting because you actually build the units to plug the gaps. So you have a lot of flexibility not normally available.
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

Perhaps this podcast here is useful as an additional decision support:
-> https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes ... barbarossa
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

This is a point that must be highlighted: I have had wonderful times playing smaller scenarios in WITE. In DCB you have no choice but to play the Grand Campaign.

This is not entirely true. You do have choices. Since the game comes with the (still in Beta version) DC:CP. The CP or Community Project will over time allow players to play many small games, or even (yes!) make their own.

Currently only 2 scenarios exist. But given time that amount could grow enormously.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
mikeCK

Post by mikeCK »

Definitely DC:B. War in the East requires more micromanagement but that doesn't make it deeper. DCB adds so many Elements missing in the form of card decisions requiring politics points as well as decisions that are made via paperwork on your desk. Makes you feel like a general instead of a guy moving chits
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

WitE is monotonic counter pushing, DCB is an experience.
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

ORIGINAL: Templer

WitE is monotonic counter pushing, DCB is an experience.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I bought DC;B during the Happy Easter sale and it hasn't worked for me thus far, the political system
I'm just not a fan. I prefer the artwork, realistic detail and counters of WITE. Hopefully , my feelings
change as I get more familiar.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

... or... simply is the wrong question.

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa and Gary Grigsby War in the East fighting both while World War II and you are dealing with the Eastern Front.
Then there are already all similarities between the two games.

Maybe you can compare Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue with Gary Grigsby War in the East, but not Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

To most people this may not matter, but I spent my first two months with WitE's editor. Currently, DC:B does not have Vic's trademark editor, which is also top notch.

I would go with DC:B and consider GG's WitW, which is more "polished," but not East Front of course.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

To most people this may not matter, but I spent my first two months with WitE's editor. Currently, DC:B does not have Vic's trademark editor, which is also top notch.

I would go with DC:B and consider GG's WitW, which is more "polished," but not East Front of course.

That is actually false info. It does have an editor, you just need to unlock it.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”