The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Canoerebel

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Canoerebel »

John and I played into December '44 in another game. He invaded India in 1944. [:)]
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Well, that last post sounded like I was disagreeing with Lacivius, which would be an unkindness towards John. That's not what I meant. John has learned alot since that game. I have too. We'd both handle things very differently now. John is aggressive and that tendency will creep into things even late in the game, I'm sure, but he knows what he's doing.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

John and I played into December '44 in another game. He invaded India in 1944. [:)]

Ok, maybe I stand corrected!! [:D][:D][:D]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

3/31/43

Battle of Sumatra: It may be a few more days before 10th IJA Div. reaches the 1st Marines hex. On the east side, continued build up at Medan (I think John will move on Langsa, but he could cross the island instead). Southern Army HQ is at Medan, per SigInt. Kongos bombard Sabang, tearing up the airfield (which is permanently torn up anyway). But supply is good. I opened the spigot at Sabang for a turn to get supply to the hinterlands, which succeeded. Sabang has 195k supply. The Allies can probably fight effectively here for quite some time to come.

KB: No sign of the KB today. So the wishful thinking that John might peform a Tar Baby exercies at Diego Garcia doesn't come to fruition.

Battle of Burma: It will be interesting to see how hard and long John comes for the Lashio sector. I don't think he has plans of penetrating deeply into China, nor do I think that would be profitable for him given the current state of the Chinese army. I'm going to fight for Lashio unless clearly outnumbered and facing encirclement. But I think the Chiense will fight.

Subs: The Allies had a good day, damaging an xAK near Manila, sinking an xAK near Okinawa, and possibly sinking a TK near Iba.

SoPac: John is vigorously patrolling and checking out the Ellice Islands theater. No more freebies in this area.

SWPac: Peanut 1 and Peanut 3 are off the map. Peanut 2 leaves tomorrow. Peanut 4 is still in the jungle in Assam, extricating itself slowly. Tomorrow I'll provide a complete lineup for Operation Circus since we're flipping to a new month and things that once seemed impossibly far off are no longer impossibly far off. This is the first mention of the operational name, though other details have been discussed now and then.
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

Well the real Japanese did the same in early '45 didn't they? Who says the game isn't historical? [:D]

Edit: Wrong year, sorry, it was '44 after all, a perfect match.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

True, but this was a big amphibious operation! John invaded at Trivandrum and a couple of other ports. By then, though, the Allies were already holding Sikhalin Island, Iwo Jima and Tori Shima, and part of Sumatra. I didn't care what was happening in India. At the time, I described it as marbles rolling around in an empty bucket, making alot of noise but doing no harm. (But PBY Liberators on NavSearch missions did bomb his invading fleet with remarkable accuracy, leading to much weeping an gnashing of teeth.)
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

True, but this was a big amphibious operation! John invaded at Trivandrum and a couple of other ports. By then, though, the Allies were already holding Sikhalin Island, Iwo Jima and Tori Shima, and part of Sumatra. I didn't care what was happening in India. At the time, I described it as marbles rolling around in an empty bucket, making alot of noise but doing no harm. (But PBY Liberators on NavSearch missions did bomb his invading fleet with remarkable accuracy, leading to much weeping an gnashing of teeth.)

I remember reading his side then and he was measuring fuel in empty Clorox bottles.
The Moose
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

John's India Invasion - I was just getting to know John in this epic game vs Dan was happening back in the old WITP days. I was learning on the fly how to use Tracker from Damon and rescue John's economy from crashing in mid-43. By the time it got to '44, I knew him well enough to try to get him to cancel this invasion, but he felt like doing so just for fun. If I remember right, Dan had enough forces still in India to deal with what John sent there.

John's typical react is to attack regardless of what side he is playing. He may feel that plans are far enough along in northern Sumatra that he can send warships off to look for something to sink. [:D]
[center]Image[/center]
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

John's India Invasion - I was just getting to know John in this epic game vs Dan was happening back in the old WITP days. I was learning on the fly how to use Tracker from Damon and rescue John's economy from crashing in mid-43. By the time it got to '44, I knew him well enough to try to get him to cancel this invasion, but he felt like doing so just for fun. If I remember right, Dan had enough forces still in India to deal with what John sent there.

John's typical react is to attack regardless of what side he is playing. He may feel that plans are far enough along in northern Sumatra that he can send warships off to look for something to sink. [:D]
That, plus, didn't John do some work to make this mod more souped-up for the Japanese? He will want to test the limits of that relatively new capability.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Canoerebel: Peanut 1 and Peanut 3 are off the map. Peanut 2 leaves tomorrow. Peanut 4 is still in the jungle in Assam, extricating itself slowly. Tomorrow I'll provide a complete lineup for Operation Circus ...

OK, so we have peanuts and a circus, now where's the elephant in the room? [:)]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
DW

Post by DW »

With John's carriers nosing around Diego, do you think it's likely that he's got some oilers in the Indian Ocean too?

I believe you're concentrating forces in W. Australia. If you've some cruisers hanging about, it might be a good idea to send a few out and have a look around likely areas where AOs might be loitering and see if you can perhaps ambush them.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Hey Dan, Did not know you were so active and resumed this AAR. Just have not been looking in here much in the past few months. Really since Greyjoy and Obvert ended their game. I will spend a few days and catch up and then you can rely on me to give you all sorts of sage and unsolicited advice.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Hey Dan, Did not know you were so active and resumed this AAR. Just have not been looking in here much in the past few months. Really since Greyjoy and Obvert ended their game. I will spend a few days and catch up and then you can rely on me to give you all sorts of sage and unsolicited advice.

Lets not say ended just yet. Suspended, maybe. [;)]

I've not tried to contact Nick in a while and will let him decide if he wants to continue.

I was surprised and delighted to find this game resumed when I checked this week. Looks like there will be plenty more fireworks here to come!
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

4/1/43

Good to see old timers back. Glad you gents are here.

Battle of Sumatra: Four Sisters bombard Sabang. There are (at least) four units advancing up the west road. I think there will be three infantry divisions and a tank division. Can 1st Marines hold against such a force in jungle-rough terrain with help from some Stuart tanks? I'm not sure.

On the east side, 16 units at Medan now, and IJA bombers target the Allied stack in the jungle hex south of Langsa. This is the first time John's targeted this hex in well over a month. I think he's coming this way. The Allies have 1150 AV in jungle terrain, with two infantry divisions having three forts, the other having two forts.

No sign of enemy amphibious assault, which is important. John can prevail in a ground campaign, but an amphibious assault offered the faster route to victory.

Battle of Burma: The battle lines are shaping up near Lashio. John bombed a Chinese city (the one between Kunming and Paotung), possibly feeling if it was occupied, and probably considering para assault. 22nd New Chinese Div. is there.

KB: No sign of it today.

April 1, 1943: The calendar has flipped and suddenly the Allies have four Hellcats in the pools. Since we resumed the game, this was the focal date. If the Allies still held Sabang in usable condition as of this date, the Hellcats would come online, making it possible to face Japan in the air. The current status is a hybrid - Sabang isn't in usable condition, but the Allied ground defenses are stout and there's plenty of supply. Japan has to keep bombarding to maintain suppression. If John miscalculates, the Allies could get the field up and running in short order. But now the key question is whether Sabang keeps John preoccupied long enough for Operation Circus to benefit from the distraction. It'll probably be a close thing, but it's not a pipe dream.

Operation Circus: This is the code name for the next Allied operation, which will originate from SWPac. I've identified preferred targets but they may change depending on SigInt. There are two primary targets, with Peanuts 1 through 4 prepping for the first and Cotton Candy 1 through 3 prepping for the second. 2nd Marine Division is in place. 6th, 7th, and 8th Australian Divisions, after extricating from Burma, are on the way. The last of these could reach Oz in about 45 to 50 days. I've been stockpiling PP, which are now up to 3965. In another month, I'll have enough to buy out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Australian Divisions and some restricted support units. The invasions will involve at least seven divisions and possibly one or two others depending on PP and time of transit to the staging ports.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Can 1st Marines hold against such a force in jungle-rough terrain with help from some Stuart tanks? I'm not sure.
Sounds dicey, given the shape that you described for the division plus air supremacy for the offense. Some reinforcement would be best.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Give us another picture of Sabang and environs, pretty please.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Canoerebel: Can 1st Marines hold against such a force in jungle-rough terrain with help from some Stuart tanks?

I looked in the editor to see what gives with the tanks.

An M3 Stuart has armour value 45, anti-armour value 70, anti-soft 28 and range 1, accuracy 9
An M5 Stuart has armour value 60, anti-armour value 70, anti-soft 28 and range 1, accuracy 9

A Type 95 Light Tank has armour value 30, anti-armour value 50, anti-soft 13 and range 1, accuracy 7
A Type 89A Medium Tank has armour value 30, anti-armour value 50, anti-soft 24 and range 1, accuracy 7
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

4/1/43

Good to see old timers back. Glad you gents are here.

Battle of Sumatra: Four Sisters bombard Sabang. There are (at least) four units advancing up the west road. I think there will be three infantry divisions and a tank division. Can 1st Marines hold against such a force in jungle-rough terrain with help from some Stuart tanks? I'm not sure.

On the east side, 16 units at Medan now, and IJA bombers target the Allied stack in the jungle hex south of Langsa. This is the first time John's targeted this hex in well over a month. I think he's coming this way. The Allies have 1150 AV in jungle terrain, with two infantry divisions having three forts, the other having two forts.

No sign of enemy amphibious assault, which is important. John can prevail in a ground campaign, but an amphibious assault offered the faster route to victory.

Battle of Burma: The battle lines are shaping up near Lashio. John bombed a Chinese city (the one between Kunming and Paotung), possibly feeling if it was occupied, and probably considering para assault. 22nd New Chinese Div. is there.

KB: No sign of it today.

April 1, 1943: The calendar has flipped and suddenly the Allies have four Hellcats in the pools. Since we resumed the game, this was the focal date. If the Allies still held Sabang in usable condition as of this date, the Hellcats would come online, making it possible to face Japan in the air. The current status is a hybrid - Sabang isn't in usable condition, but the Allied ground defenses are stout and there's plenty of supply. Japan has to keep bombarding to maintain suppression. If John miscalculates, the Allies could get the field up and running in short order. But now the key question is whether Sabang keeps John preoccupied long enough for Operation Circus to benefit from the distraction. It'll probably be a close thing, but it's not a pipe dream.

Operation Circus: This is the code name for the next Allied operation, which will originate from SWPac. I've identified preferred targets but they may change depending on SigInt. There are two primary targets, with Peanuts 1 through 4 prepping for the first and Cotton Candy 1 through 3 prepping for the second. 2nd Marine Division is in place. 6th, 7th, and 8th Australian Divisions, after extricating from Burma, are on the way. The last of these could reach Oz in about 45 to 50 days. I've been stockpiling PP, which are now up to 3965. In another month, I'll have enough to buy out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Australian Divisions and some restricted support units. The invasions will involve at least seven divisions and possibly one or two others depending on PP and time of transit to the staging ports.

If the Australian divisions are bought out under the first or second Australian Corps then the cost is significantly lower. You should have the PP to do it now. Unless RA has altered that or house rules prevent it.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I'm having fits getting sharp images due to unfamiliarity with my bigger screen and how it impacts image reproduction, but here's a shot at the up-to-date situation in Sumatra.

Attachments
Sumatra 04 01 43.jpg
Sumatra 04 01 43.jpg (250.28 KiB) Viewed 158 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Thanks,helps so much.

Try cropping?

Return to “After Action Reports”