Embedding (sharing?) witp ae with pacific war board games

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

fulcrum28

Embedding (sharing?) witp ae with pacific war board games

Post by fulcrum28 »

i think we all agree that witp ae is the most detailed game on the pacific war that allows tons of hours of entertainment playing against AI or human opponent, but is some of you still combining (sharing) your play time with other traditional board games on the subject such as Pacific War Victory Games, Empire of the sun GMT or World in Flames (pacific theater only) ?

I sometimes feel "blocked" about "which one" to play first in a particular weekend having limited time!, but usually witp wins because it is easy to setting up, but sometimes touching physical counters gives me good feeling too.

I sometimes used the Empire of the Sun board or PW board to indicate the current status/position of the TFs and air forces in witp:ae. it gives you a global image (snapshot) of the situation, and a "physical" touch of the digital witp:ae :)

But I really wonder if all of you (some?) still continue playing board games on pacific theater.

The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
Numdydar

RE: Embedding (sharing?) witp ae with pacific war board games

Post by Numdydar »

While not really just a Pacific game, I've played WiF Blitz board game. But I have not played a Pacific game in decades [:(] Too little time too little of a space [:(]

I have Asia Engulfed I have been wanting to play for several years now and have not been able to get it on the table. I have played its sister game, Europe Engulfed several times but not that one. Most people like Europe better [:)]
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I played Victory in the Pacific, Victory at Sea (Avalon Hill IIRC), and a Guadalcanal tactical scenario called CA.
I eventually gave them up because I could not complete games before the boards had to be moved to clear the table, and the stacks of cardboard markers in each hex did not stay put. Even if I carefully moved them somewhere there were too many kids visiting the house and getting into everything.

To me the biggest appeal of computer gaming is not losing parts of the game and being able to save your position before taking a break.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I don't play anything but AE. Since I bought UV in 2002, this series (UV/WitP/AE) is really all I've played. The only other game I've purchased in the last 14 years is Operational Art of War. Very rarely, I play the "Rommel Unleashed at Normady" scenario against the AI.

Before UV came along, for several years I played by email Advanced Third Reich and Empire of the Rising Sun (and the two merged together in the tragically misnamed Global War 2000). Those are Avalon Hill boargames, and the community developed PBEM capability that included the map and counters...but you had to send for dice rolls from an outside server. Empire of the Rising Sun did not get really high marks from the gaming community, if I remember correctly, but I thought it was outstanding. The game was day-by-day, but slowed down for carrier battles in a way that was very tense and exciting.

I keep hoping that one day A3R and ERS (and GWY2K) will be available...that Matrix or one of its contacts will buy the rights (from Hasbro?) and make it happen again.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Before my son discovered the joys of a girlfriend, I managed to get a game of Tobruk and Victory in the Pacific out of him. I imagine if he has a 'refit delay' between GF Mk1 and GF Mk2 maybe we'll get a couple more games in.

However, I do still play board games a couple times a year when my mom visits. Not typically wargames though. More like Dungeon Lords, Agricola, Galaxy Trucker, etc etc.
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

I still have this War in the Pacific by DG, the most expensive board game ever put on the market. The problems is that cant find anyone to play with. So better off playing this game, just few things I wasn't happy with WitP:AE.
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: fulcrum28

But I really wonder if all of you (some?) still continue playing board games on pacific theater.

Personally, I have never played war board games. I never got beyond Monopoly, which was possible to play because I could get the family along
(come to think of it, Monopoly is also a sort of strategic game...[:)]..). Board games can be great social family events, but mixing "war"
into it can detract from that - if you know what I mean. It's not friendly....

I'm afraid the popularity of board games shall continue to decrease. It's simply in the time. Hardcore board gamers may get even more hardcore,
but the general player mass shall continue to decrease - relatively, anyway. And as it decreases game makers shall be more reluctant to continue
to support that side of their business. Beware, pristine board games might become great collector items in the future!

The PC games I played the most (in the 286-days) were probably Sid Meyers "Gettysburg" and the sub game "688". This developed into TOAW I-III
(I understand there is a "IV" up and going now) and the "Silent Hunter" games. Presently, I'm using SHIV to create some pictures for my
"Saving MacArthur" project. That said, the TOAW Philippines scenario can be great fun. I have, on a couple of occasions, edited the premises
in a way it could have been if Marshall and MacArthur had got the 4 months extra that they expected (hoped for) they would, with the large
influx of men and materiel on its way - that is till April 1942. That gave the Japanese a really hard time....[;)]...For that matter, an
immediate counter-attack with maximum use of US resources could also push the Japanese advance troops into the sea. Which should support the
"defending the beaches" strategy. Oops, I forget, it's only a game...[;)].

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Got games such as Britannia and Kingmaker ready for when the boys are a bit older, but other than WITP:AE, I only really play Football Manager and a long running campaign against the AI on WITE.

Not got time for a lot else!
stretch

Post by stretch »

If it's a board game on WW2 in the pacific, I probably have it (not counting the monster game mentioned above) including several of the Second World War at Sea series. I've played a World in Flames Final Edition game start to end. Dedicated a spare room to the setup for 8 months.

Pacific War by Victory Games / Mark Herman is probably the best of the bunch. I've played it through several times. You can snare a copy of ebay if you are patient. It is being remade by Mark with Nuts! publishing... Details are scarce though, he and the others involved don't seem keen to say much of anything about it. They've shown map and counter art, and mentioned play testing was imminent. I'll be first in line if it sees the light of day.

PresterJohn001

Post by PresterJohn001 »

Keeping the board set up Is the biggest issue I have as i play solo by necessity . I've got Pacific war, Empire of the sun and across the Pacific. Board games are great and offer a different perspective. They all tend to showcase some aspect well.
memento mori
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Got games such as Britannia and Kingmaker ready for when the boys are a bit older, but other than WITP:AE, I only really play Football Manager and a long running campaign against the AI on WITE.

Not got time for a lot else!

Ah yea, my son and I have played Britannia a couple times now. It is a favorite.
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I had have some epic Risk battles against my brother and 2 cousins. But that was in the late 80s early 90s when we were very young and our lives uncomplicated.
Real board war games require a lot more commitment, the rules are complex, there's a need for physical space to play and the matches wouldnt take only 4 hours. Really hard to find the time and the opponents. My appartment is small. This is where online games really shine

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

The real problem with board games is finding an opponent within striking distance.... I have LOTs of board games (50+) that I've accrued over the years (got the first one in 1965) and very rarely played any of them.... The reason is getting a "playmate" so to speak. When I was a kid, it was easier, but adults seem to shy away from such play things.. If someone were to offer up a game and is within commuting distance, I'm sure I would take it up... but until then, I'll stick with this game and when I get time (and medical things go away) I'll go up against a "real" person again (until then, AI beware!).
bomccarthy

Post by bomccarthy »

ORIGINAL: stretch

Pacific War by Victory Games / Mark Herman is probably the best of the bunch. I've played it through several times. You can snare a copy of ebay if you are patient. It is being remade by Mark with Nuts! publishing... Details are scarce though, he and the others involved don't seem keen to say much of anything about it. They've shown map and counter art, and mentioned play testing was imminent. I'll be first in line if it sees the light of day.

I had to look up Nuts! Publishing - not affiliated with the late Nuts Magazine after all. I imagined Jessica Kingham in an ad for wargames.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

There is this webpage: Meetups.com
This can help you find people with similar hobbies.
Assuming you live in a big city there is a chance you can find a wargaming group. I know there's one in Toronto, but focused on short term matches only (those that can be started and finished in an afternoon).
fulcrum28

Post by fulcrum28 »

Very interesting and refreshing opinions!

I know there are some ways to play online original boardgames like for examples Vassal http://www.vassalengine.org/ and cyberboard systems. As you can see in the link, almost of boardgames have been "vassalised" so you can play them against some opponent online like a witp ae using PEBM.

The main issue with that is related to what i say in my first post. The feeling of touching the counters, which is most cases are really a piece of art, and the vision of the complete map at glance on the table and physical interact with it, it is very rewarding experience. Of course playing vassal, you can make movements in the PC for your opponent and at the same time, reproduce on a table with the classical map the operations.

The drawback is, like some of you pointed out, the space necessary to keep the setup and the time that usually consumes just planning and setting the map and counters. In witp ae, the initial setting for the units is zero..instantaneous in fact :)
The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
PresterJohn001

Post by PresterJohn001 »

Vassal is great, I've played a few games with it. But it fills the same spot in my gaming time as witpae.
memento mori
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

And if you are already playing a board game online, then why not take advantage of the significantly better math capabilities of a computer?

the use of dice, event cards, etc are a quick, elegant way to avoid very complex calculations; this makes a lot of sense when you are playing face to face. I mean who really like to run complex math formulas for a game? but if you are already playing via computers; then why not? why keep the constraints of a board game after moving online?

btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

ORIGINAL: stretch

I had to look up Nuts! Publishing - not affiliated with the late Nuts Magazine after all. I imagined Jessica Kingham in an ad for wargames.

As soon as I read "Nuts" in your post, I thought of Bastogne.

Anyways, I lost all of my boardgames in my move to Ohio. Very, Very SAD[:(]. Although I did save a small game I bought in the 70's called "one page Bulge". Simple game, one sheet of rules and map. Cut out the counters and play. That's why the "NUTS" part of this post caught me....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
dox44

Post by dox44 »

i play carrier by victory games.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”