Star Wars

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Zap

Star Wars

Post by Zap »

Have not watched it yet, so don't give away too much just let me known. Is as good as the critics say>
Aurelian

RE: Star Wars

Post by Aurelian »

I'll wait for the DVD.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
mllange

Post by mllange »

Just watched it with my kids and we all loved it. Worth the full-priced ticket for our family.

Who would have guessed that Chewbacca is Admiral Ackbar's father? ;)'
There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

So many trailers, I feel that I may have seen the Cliff Notes version. Looking forward to watching it this Monday. [:)]
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
Pvt_Grunt

Post by Pvt_Grunt »

Saw it last night with 11 year old son and his friend. I give it 4 out of 5. Not very original but lots of action and funny lines. None of the tedious politics that bogged down some of the prequels.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: nim8or

Who would have guessed that Chewbacca is Admiral Ackbar's father? ;)'
You're just trolling around, aren't you?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Is there any truth to the rumor that JarJar Binks is a Sith Lord?
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Is there any truth to the rumor that JarJar Binks is a Sith Lord?
No, but Qui-Gon Jinn was one. That is why he insisted that Anakin should be trained.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
jamus34

Post by jamus34 »

Mr. Galinikous IS the butler.

Saw it, I enjoyed it.

To say more would give away secrets. Besides that, damn did the original cast get old. 40 years I guess is kind to no one (except maybe Elle McPherson and Christie Brinkley)
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Saw the movie. I have to admit I prefer Star Trek to Star Wars, and I had very low expectations. The Original Star Wars, Empire, and 90% of Return (Ewoks sucked...should have been Wookies instead) were awesome movies. The rest was PC dribble and totally boring. Knowing what I know of JJ Abrams in the Star Trek universe, I guessed that this episode would be a disappointment...and it was.

The writing was horrible! PC and politics had to rear their ugly heads of course. And two of the new characters/actors were horribly cast:

Daisy Ridley (Rey) and John Boyega (Finn). These are two awful actors, but how much is really the fault of poor writing (very lacking in originality...everything is recycled)? Ridley is a total fail. Perhaps Boyega is perfectly cast for a Star Wars movie...but only as a storm trooper...never has to put on a helmet...notice how his downturned mouth mimics perfectly the shape of the storm trooper helmet? His acting ability should limit him to a storm trooper extra.

The best part of the movie: The Leni Riefenstahl rally.

Once again, pure garbage. I will not even give the next two a chance.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

after the last few movies, tbh it could only get better, as nothing could have been as poor as the last few, and also like above think the new star trek is better, well last 2 have been, and the 3rd looks very good and atm is a breath of fresh air in a rather stale market, being a UK born, it's hard to get excited now days when most films are USA win the world, UK are almost always cast as the bad guy regarding actors etc, and the ending unless you think of walking dead and game of thrones . and also lord of the rings etc, nobody high up ever dies, so not very real, and some what boring and predicable with far too much special effacts and CGI, with next to no time spent on good script writting, just watched The Martian, that's also a few hours of my life i'll never get back.

not saying star wars is bad, but there doesn't seem to be as epic as the first 3, more carrying on with the second rate last ones tbh, which seems to be how it goes now days with follow on's [:(]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Hi

Watched it yesterday with wife and kids. Enjoyed it immensely. Fun, exciting, action-packed entertainment. Even emotional, as part of my teenager years "died" yesterday...

Of course, not the best movie ever, recycled scripting, some cheesy acting...but if you watch critically any of the 3 originals, that also really applies too. After all, in all of them some of the best acting were probably made by droids, some of which don't even talk :)

In latest years I have seen the best acting and scripting not in movies but in TV series. Just to name one of the best ones IMHO, True Detective season 1.

Regards
Former AJE team member
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

It official. Star Wars is everywhere.

(But who knew Darth Vader had gone gluten-free?)

Attachments
Bee_Darth_Vader.jpg
Bee_Darth_Vader.jpg (128.93 KiB) Viewed 260 times
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Franciscus

Of course, not the best movie ever, recycled scripting, some cheesy acting...but if you watch critically any of the 3 originals, that also really applies too. After all, in all of them some of the best acting were probably made by droids, some of which don't even talk :)
I've got it! People, like zakblood and Jagdtiger14, had seen the original Star Wars movies when they were younger and less critical about movies. Now they are grumpy, old guys, reminiscing good old days while being critical and cynical towards anything new. Case in point. Did I got it right?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

It official. Star Wars is everywhere.

(But who knew Darth Vader had gone gluten-free?)

You can purchase a bag of Star Wars apples at your favorite grocery store.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: Franciscus

I've got it! People, like zakblood and Jagdtiger14, had seen the original Star Wars movies when they were younger and less critical about movies. Now they are grumpy, old guys, reminiscing good old days while being critical and cynical towards anything new. Case in point. Did I got it right?

Sir Alec Guinness, in a 1999 interview said it was his idea to kill Obi-wan. Why? "What I didn't tell Lucas was that I just couldn't go on speaking those bloody awful, banal lines. I'd had enough of the mumbo jumbo." He went on to say that he "shrivelled up" every time Star Wars was mentioned to him
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

I think you have something there! The reverse can be said as well...young people today didn't experience Star Wars the way we old guys did (I was 14 back then)...and there was nothing close to it other than Star Trek (which I remember watching when I was 4).

We were too happy to see something like this...ANYTHING...however, if you look at the actors in the original Star Wars...even the second and third tier actors were awesome. Far cry from today...and there is talent out there...ie...look what the recent Battlestar Galactica had for example.

For a long time now, Hollywood has lost its originality, and their politics almost always has to be expressed in their work.

Its not about cynical towards anything new...I like new...technology, travel, discoveries, etc...its just that when you are "old"...you are also experienced...and have seen lots of things that have worked and have not worked, etc... Its frustrating to see the younger generation recycle things that either don't work, or have already been done...such a waste of time for us older guys who don't have as much time as you do.

Ridley and Boyega along with the writing behind them were chosen for diversity reasons...which is not a good starting point for a good movie. If diversity is your goal, fine, get some good diverse actors...there are lots out there...why these too?
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

We were too happy to see something like this...ANYTHING...however, if you look at the actors in the original Star Wars...even the second and third tier actors were awesome.

Hi, Jagdtiger14

I agree with some of the things you say, but you can't be serious about the original star wars movies actor quality.
Does anyone here thinks Mark Hamill or Carrie Fisher are/were great actors ? [;)].
Or, speaking of second-third tier, you mean Billy Dee Williams ? [:D]
Or that maybe Peter Cushing and Alec Guiness would look to their roles with particular pride ?

It WAS cheesy acting, but it WAS fun.

Regards
Former AJE team member
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Waiting for the hype to die down then will check it out.

ps- I actually liked the last 3 movies, not sure what all the hate was about, just don't get it, but I'm 46 and recall seeing Star Wars when it came out with my older brother several times and it was the best thing ever. Younger folks these days expect way to much I guess.(yes Jar Jar Binks was bad, and I agree. But kept it kid funny.)
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

I'll be seeing it Christmas Eve, but with much skepticism and trepidation... J. J. Abrams is vastly overrated as a director; and I doubt Disney actually came up with a decent script.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy

Return to “General Discussion”