GD1938 Mod reasons to expand

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

ironduke1955

GD1938 Mod reasons to expand

Post by ironduke1955 »

I kind of wish that Vic had taken the GD1938 Mod and turned it into a full game, X4 size map with a AI capable of at least making a reasonable fist of providing opposition. I have other games that cover specific fronts Grigsby's War in the East but they are so long winded and scripted that they are pretty joyless affairs. Last thing I wanted was another eastern Front Incarnation, its been done.

Sorry feel I had to vent, or explode on the matter, the Second World War was decided at a Strategic level to play one facet to try and get a different result is a fairly pointless excersise as its does not answer the bigger question what impact that result has on the bigger picture. So you did better than the Soviets or Germans did historically on the Eastern front and if you have played the War in East it took you several days if not weeks to to do it. Did you then go on as the Germans to win the war, well you will never know you can only play the eastern front again[:@] At least in GD1938 the question is answered.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

cpdeyoung

RE: GD1938 Mod reasons to expand

Post by cpdeyoung »

+1

For all the hype about World in Flames I see nothing in that game that GD1938 does not have. GD1938 is great now, but I too would love a bigger map. All praise to the authors of this superlative mod, and to the wonderful game behind it.

Chuck
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

So this a rant against Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa? As best I can tell that game has been highly successful. Not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure but apparently a significant number of gamers like it.

Re "At least in GD1938 the question is answered." Huh? Maybe I'm missing the point. What does this mean?

Strategic Command 3 will release next year I think. Maybe that would be a game of interest to you.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Yes we are all well aware that GD1938 is not your "Cup of tea"

Thanks for sharing.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Maybe I should speak to Vic about it :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

If there is anyway I can practically help then I will, play testing I am not a Modder but will assist in anyway I can, and look forward to the release as a DLC or standalone game either way I would be delighted. It I am sure that a ATG 2nd World war Grand strategy game would stand above any other game in the genre.

Lets not forget that War in the West and War in the East (Gary Grigsby's) have been designed to fit together to form part of a larger strategic game at a later date. And going back to Europa GDW the board game that was released as a series of scenarios Drach Nang Osten was one of them all meant to be combined into one huge board game covering the floor of a small village hall. Never completed I think. I bought most of the scenarios Narvik France 1940 Sealion Russian Front Italy the Balkans the Number of counters was absolutly enormous.

Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

You and I must be about the same age as I have memories of Drang Nach Osten as well. Never own it but do remember it. I do still have my copy SPI's War in Europe and War in the Pacific. I even have a copy of the World in Flames board game.
ORIGINAL: ironduke1955

And going back to Europa GDW the board game that was released as a series of scenarios Drach Nang Osten was one of them all meant to be combined into one huge board game covering the floor of a small village hall. Never completed I think. I bought most of the scenarios Narvik France 1940 Sealion Russian Front Italy the Balkans the Number of counters was absolutely enormous.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Also played SPI War in Europe exerts from a misspent youth, anyway my holy grail was always grand strategy with as much detail a you can squeeze in, big but not so big as to be unplayable I spent most of my board gaming time with Third Reich with two gaming brothers and some friends never had to worry about finding a opponent.

ATG has striking similarities with the combat system in Europa you had to calculate the armored bonus for each combat, with ATG its built into the system not endless calculations and thanks to Claus and Alexandre we have a host of modeled combat equipment from the period, just about every tank plane and ship is there to be used. That deserves a bigger map and a updated diplomacy system no offense to claus.

ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

None taken, I can only work with what I got...
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

None taken, I can only work with what I got...

Which is why I said no offense, need a fresh start and something you can work with.

Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

A few of my old board wargames...

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (183.38 KiB) Viewed 60 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

[:)]Another misspent youth

Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Well, I think I've spent over the years much more time playing computer wargames than I ever did with board wargames. Maybe misspent youth and adulthood. [&:] Anyway, one more photo: The Rise and Decline of the Third Reich

Attachments
20151209_213021.jpg
20151209_213021.jpg (262.31 KiB) Viewed 60 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Had all of those had over 70 war games gave them all to someone that had access to a game club so they might actually be used again.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

Those pictures bring back many memories, I had many of the SPI titles, plus a subscription to Strategy & Tactics (which used to come with a game in every issues), just about every title from Game Designers' Workshop, and People's War Games (a group of communist game designers focusing mostly on the Eastern Front - I actually met them at a game show). I played a few turns of the original Drang Nach Osten! set up on a ping-pong table. It was huge, and messy, and we couldn't do too many turns. We also played several epic Third Reich games. Graduate school and a girlfriend limited playing, and then I moved to Copenhagen for a year, so I sold them all. In the end, a computer is much more efficient. You don't have to remember all the rules, and count movement points and keep track of all the modifiers. And you don't have to worry that when you rolled the dice you would knock over several stacks of units. In many ways DC 1 covers the Europa series Case White and Blitzkrig in the West. My favorites were probably the Panzergruppe Guderian series created by James Dunnigan.
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

And the one thing that the board games could not handle is FOW makes the PC games that much more accurate and enjoyable.

rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Also, with PC games you don't have to worry about the pieces getting all mixed up by an angry sister, cat or a bump on the table. Bet we all have a few stories about that!

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”