New player to DC WtP - Few Questions

The team behind the award-winning game Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive early days of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris is the first in an innovative series of operational World War II wargames that also include a strategic element. The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris simulates Germany’s military successes in Poland and France in 1939 and 1940 (including also a hypothetical “Sea Lion” invasion of Great Britain).

Moderator: Vic

Deca

New player to DC WtP - Few Questions

Post by Deca »

I recently got DC War to Paris & have a few questions that others might hopefully be able to provide some insight.

Question 1
I was reading an AAR in which the poster had a list of the HQ commanders, the "cards" that they could possibly get, and the % chance of receiving them. Where can I find that information?

15.6.4. EVACUATION
If you are playing the campaign then upon surrender of Poland all surviving Polish troops
that can reach either the evacuation hex near Grodno or the evacuation hex near Lvov will
be evacuated. The amount of evacuees will determine the amount of Polish divisions that
will be raised in France. The amount of evacuees needed for forming of subsequent infantry
divisions in France is 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600. A maximum of 5 “evacuee divisions” can
be activated in France using this variant.

16.10.12. POLISH REINFORCEMENT
If you are playing the campaign version from May 16th onwards you will get a Polish Infantry
Division. Maximum 5 Polish Infantry Divisions will arrive. If the Polish managed to evacuate
20,000 men you will get 1 division, 50,000 men 2 divisions, 90,000 men 3 divisions, 140.000
men 4 divisions and 200,000 men 5 divisions. If you are not playing the campaign 1 Polish
Infantry Division will arrive on round 5.

Question 2
Case White (Poland) & the concept of Polish troops evacuating. What I am confused by is the amount needed because 15.6.4 & 16.10.12 seem to have different numbers. Can somebody clarify how many need to be evacuate to make 1 Division, 2 Division, 3, etc...

Question 3
It seems like several HQs are not in range of their superior HQ at start, but I wanted to clarify if there were pro's/cons to that. Do lower HQ's need to be within range of their superior HQs?
EX: Corp HW must be in range of it's respective Army HQ

Question 4
Are there bonuses/negatives that Corp HQs have for being/not-being within their Army HQ radius?

Question 5
What's the pro's/con's of having the Air Units under the command of say AGN (German Poland Scenario) as opposed to say...putting them under the command of 4th Army or even under Guderian's 19th Corp (which they will most likely be end up supporting that armor)?

Question 6
Do the air unit suffer a penalty for being outside of the AGN (Poland Scenario) 12 hex HQ range? I can see anything which indicates it, but my point is that I currently cannot see a specific bonus for being in the AGN versus being assigned to something else.

Question 7
When it comes to supplies & HQ's, is there a reason for me to move my main/highest OKH HQ from the supply arrival point? I would think that it would not "help" because based upon this rule it seems it must travel to the top HQ anyway.
13.1. SUPPLY ARRIVAL
Supplies arrive at specific hexes that differ in each scenario. For example, Polish supplies arrive at Warsaw. Supplies are actually taken in by the highest HQ in supply range of the arrival hex.

Question 8
Supplies travel in the following example method, correct?
-supply arrival point
-to OKH (using Poland scenario)
-flows from that OKH to AGN HQ
-flows from AGN HQ to 4th Army HQ
-then flows from the 4th Army HQ to the Corp HQ
-then from the Corp HQ to the divisions

Question 9
Hence, if I have moved (not that I would actually do this) an Army HQ into the marsh 36/37 that is 3 hexes away from the nearest Road, then all supplies coming from the arrival point would need to travel....
...originate at the supply arrival point
...make it's way to OKH
...then from OKH to AGN
...from AGN to the Army HQ which is literally in a marsh 3 hexes from nearest road
...then from that marsh 36/37 point to ALL subordinate Corps
...then from those Corp HQ to the individual divisions

The point that I am trying to make sure I "get" is that supply flows from "Arrival Point, to OKH, to AGN, to Army HQ subordinate to AGN, then to the Corp HQ that are subordinate to that Army & that based upon my HQ placement I could have some very very very poorly routed supplies lines if not done well because supplies do NOT flow from arrival point directly to the end units but trace a path as indicated above in question 9.

Likewise, if the above is correct, then it means in many cases the wiser choice for the Axis is to remain on the roads, push the enemy to the flanks, and either isolate them or leave them behind entirely because trying to follow them not only strains my supply line, but wastes precious time lost in the less favorable terrain & the strain it puts on my lead units who would be in marshes instead of on the roads.
"In times of war, the Devil makes more room in Hell"
Vic

RE: New player to DC WtP - Few Questions

Post by Vic »

Hi there,

question 1) The chance of receiving a deckcard (grayed out) as a handcard (playable) is written on the deckcard. Its quite a small font.
So you always see all deckcards of an officer, but if its playable (a handcard) is it is no longer grayed out.

question 2) Sorry for the confusion. 15.6.4 is correct.

question 3-6) Only land non-HQ units need to be within range of their HQ to receive the combat bonus from the HQ.

question 7) No indeed. Best as well leave it where it is.

question 8) Correct

question 9) Correct... and well at Corps level you'll have room to move your HQs off the road, but above it does not seem advisable.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Deca

Post by Deca »

Vic,

I appreciate the quick response.
I saw that they were on sale on STEAM and that led me back here to see if they were likewise on sale (which they were)

I got both.
Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris
Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue

However, Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa looked to tempting to pass; hence, I got it too as my own early Xmas present.

Been playing DC WtP and find it extremely fun.

Out of curiosity, would there ever be a continuous campaign from Case White all the way through Barbarossa & into Case Blue? Either via scenarios being created in DC Barbarossa or maybe via some type of converter like paradox does with some of its games, or by allowing Barbarossa to continue to play past its end date and continue deeper into the war.

Once again, I wanted to say thnx for the quick reply.
"In times of war, the Devil makes more room in Hell"
Vic

Post by Vic »

Well... thats an interesting
and extremely ambitious idea :)

problem is all the DC systems use unique methods of modelling the conflicts.

in theory your idea would be possible, but in practice it would be a hell of a lot of work for a rather meager result.

but i hear you ! :) and thanks for the kind words.

best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris”