masterpiece

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

leftydad

masterpiece

Post by leftydad »

Bought and downloaded the game today. My impression is that Victor has designed a MASTERPIECE.
James
Tac2i

RE: masterpiece

Post by Tac2i »

Let us not forget Cameron Harris. He and Vic are the designers behind this excellent title.

The Evolution of the DC Series
ORIGINAL: leftydad

Bought and downloaded the game today. My impression is that Victor has designed a MASTERPIECE.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

must agree with you there, the VR Designs team have another great game on there books now with this release, 3rd in the Decisive Campaigns series now[&o][&o][&o]

Case Blue and Warsaw To Paris and now Barbarossa [;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
lparkh

Post by lparkh »

My sense is that Cameron brought a lot of the remarkable new event/rpg system to the game. But Vic of course gets the ultimate credit.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

Cameron is indeed the man behind the campaign design and the work on all the events and mechanics, but of course Vic's is the engine, and the programming work (including all the AI improvements!).

I think they are a great team and it has been a pleasure working with them. :)
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I need more time for these games!!!!!!!!!
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

It's hard to say who did what. Giving only one credit would be wrong. Vic is the Game Engine designer, and Cameron is the in-game designer (or what you want to call it). In a way, if this was yatzy, then Vic designed the dice, while Cameron designed the rules for the notepad you note results on. One without the other is obviously no good. Oh and the "dice" are pretty complex in this case.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
budd

Post by budd »

it should be illegal to use the word masterpiece when i'm trying to hold off buying until i finish my other new wargame purchases, stop trying to distract me[:)]
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

Be distracted.

You will be assimilated.

(If I only owned twenty wargames, this would probably be one of them).
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

Do yourself a favor and get distracted.

Especially with the editor coming out.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
lparkh

Post by lparkh »

I would like to add a request to add more time. I notice the developers are not only able to go accurately back in history but freeze everything while we consider our moves. Is it much to ask to timestop our personal present time so that we have time to enjoy your game before returning to our normal lives? Or, being flexible, I am OK with you adding another 100 years to our natural lives. I understand if in the first release of this requested feature you can only slow time like I see them doing in the movies (so it must be true).
I for one will not buy this game till this feature is added, the customer must be listened to.

Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

You had me going there...

Need to ask Jehovah, who stopped the sun in the sky so Joshua could finish his battle. [&o]
demiller

Post by demiller »

I have to agree. This is simply one of the best operational wargames I've ever played. I intentionally stayed away from the beta and didn't read too much about this game before release so I could make an unbiased judgement about it. I expected it to be good, but...WOW. What VR Designs has done here is simply amazing.

Well done!
AKA panzerde
wodin

Post by wodin »

Couldn't agree more.
smartspick

Post by smartspick »

Bit the bullet spent the 65 bucks (+ shipping) for the physical copy. It hurt but then so did Gary Grigsby's Games. Was unsure but I love the strategic layer that is missing in other games. First game in the series that I own.
MechFO

Post by MechFO »

The operational layer and interactions are a real breath of fresh air to the genre.
mekjak

Post by mekjak »

The command decisions layer and RPG-like elements of this game are fantastic. This is the direction I have always wanted to see computer wargames head into, instead of the usual "board game with a few thousand more counters/hexes and unnecessary micromanagement." If this could be combined with a Command Ops style AI so you could truly play the role of a theater commander that would be the perfect wargame IMO.
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Now playing my first play through as Germany and the game gets better and better. Went with appeasing Adolf and letting him choose my priorities...We are off to Rostov apparently......deep joy....those Rumanians are not going to win any Supermen awards so progress to Odessa is not as fast as I would like. AGC is doing much better though I am choosing to refit and rest the 2nd Panzergruppe relatively early to preserve Panders and fuel and move to Offensive rather than Blitzkreig stance.

Von Leeb has the serious hump with me for diverting some of his fuel to AGS but at least I am on the right side of Genke

The game cannot be recommended enough.

I am sure I will crash and burn despite my initial 9 to 1 positive infliction of casualties on Stalin's finest but my performance assessment of 5 stars tactically so far is something I will always treasure 😀.

Did I mention the game tracks the battle history of every unit !

One word.....Immersion.

Simply put..... masterpiece.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”