Proposal: Make the Random die Generator not so random

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

RudiTheGerman

Proposal: Make the Random die Generator not so random

Post by RudiTheGerman »

For multiple purposes it might be advantageous to have the die roll in the same situation be the same.
More explicitly, you can not save your game before combat and then reload the save file until you like the result of the combat.

To achieve this I propose to initiate your random number generator not with a random number (as would be good coding practice) but with a hash value based on the troop disposition before the first die is rolled or the file size of the Save game or .... anything that takes into account that it is the same attacks you do.
One could argue whether the same die role result should also be applied for Blitzkrieg vs. Assault. I would be in favour.

Pros: No incentive reload the same game to get better results. If you need to set the result use the inbuilt function
You can actually play by mail as long as play by internet is buggy
In a play by mail situation the opponent can just run the whole attack sequence by himself/herself without the chance of manipulation

Cons: Code change - with the risk to screw things over if the software is not nicely modularized
In a play by mail situation, you can fiddle around with you troop disposition until the results please you

Please discuss and if favourable change
Numdydar

RE: Proposal: Make the Random die Generator not so random

Post by Numdydar »

You can already in the game control each die roll. Under the Player Interface menu you can check the Set Die Rolls which will allow you to manually set all the die rolls in the game. You still can generate random rolls. But if you want a specific result you can change them to what you want instead of accepting the random roll.
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

It overcomplicates the process for nothing.

As you pointed out in the "Cons" I can just move an additional unit somewhere non relevant to have new dice rolls.

PBEM and such is trust based. That's pretty much it.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I agree with Cohen. And the original design intent was NetPlay would exclude this concern. Or don't PBEM, use screen sharing instead and have at least one from each side viewing combat resolution.

I'm in a game using Teamviewer running on a minimal Amazon EC2 instance, so nobody's home PC is exposed.
Paul

Return to “Tech Support”