Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Skywalker

RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod

Post by Skywalker »

Ummm... question. in V 11 premade ships often have energy collectors installed. Am i to tae it that they cn now also collect energy while ship is in move?
kbobbato

Post by kbobbato »

I will take a look...am still working hard on my own mod...but if we can make this more playable the better...can you tell me when it seems to crash?
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

Sent you a PM dawn, let me know if you don't get it
kbobbato

Post by kbobbato »

I am working on it now...thanks...
AndysonofBob

Post by AndysonofBob »

Totally looking forward to this bad boy! Would it be possible to upload that more stable version you mentioned earlier please?

Thanks
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

Only mensrea has it, and he hasn't logged on in a year lol
Radiance89

Post by Radiance89 »

Thank you mensrea and dawnstorme for your hard work. It's definitely a great mod ^^
Xyrael

Post by Xyrael »

So, I've been playing this mod as relatively standard choices, but today I decided to start a game as Tyranids. Browsing through the tech tree, I noticed something right off the bat.

There appear to be 2 tech lines which increase the maximum construction size, they begin with either Orbital Assembly or Supermassive Construction. However, the restrictions are confusing.
Orbital Assembly is denied to Dark Eldar, Eldar, Hrud, Laer, Megarachnid, Ork, Shakturi, Tushepta, Tyranid and Vrakk. Supermassive Construction is allowed for Ork, Hrud, Vrakk, Megarachnid, Shakturi, Laer, Eldar, Dark Eldar.

Comparing this, this means that the Tyranids do not have a technology that allows them to increase their construction size beyond the 400 granted by the initial technologies, assuming you start with Pre-Warp technology setting. If you start at any other tech setting aside from Pre-Warp, you are not granted Orbital Assembly, and are restricted to ship sizes of 160. This makes Tyranids unplayable as the mod currently stands.

Assuming the mod might not be updated to fix this for a while, how can I tweak the game myself to fix this and make Supermassive Construction available to Tyranids?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I don't have the mod, so I can't see what is there.

As far as I can see from the modding guide and files of other mods/base game, there are two possible things.

In the races file, you may have that all the others have a special component.
The zenox got this in their file (Races folder of the mod):
'Special Component: -1 = None, 0 or greater = ComponentId of special component. Be careful not to set a special component to a race that is also required by other races
SpecialComponent ;36

It probably points to their special shield tech.

There is also a section disallowed components that could be set, the zenox have none, though. (components.txt in the main mod folder)
'Disallowed ComponentIds: comma-separated list of component Id values that cannot be researched by this race
DisallowedComponentIds ;

You do of course have to check in the component section to figure out the Ids.

We saw id 36 for the zenox
36, Megatron Z4, 36, 0, , 40, 9, 0, 155, 12, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 6, 4, 14, 4, 13, 8, 3, 3, 7, 2,

That is their shield tech, see if you find Megatron in the special zenox research branch (research.txt in the main mod folder).
I searched for 36 until it showed up in the componentIds.
PROJECT ;86, UltraFast Shield Recharging, 2, 6, 1, 16, 0, 0.0,
COMPONENTS ;36
PARENTS ;95, N

PROJECT ;87, Capacitor Overloading, 4, 6, 1, 16, 0, 0.0,
COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS ;36, 4, 195, 15, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
PARENTS ;86, N

PROJECT ;88, Pure Energy Discharge, 6, 6, 1, 16, 0, 0.0,
COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS ;36, 6, 245, 20, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
PARENTS ;87, N

So the Zenox has the 36 special component (only theirs) and there are research projects influencing it.

So this is how you can do it. Look in the race files of those that have/have not and see which of the two possibilities are used. Add the necessary Ids to the Tyrandis race file.

Edit: Whenever you change files, make a copy first so that you can undo stuff if you mess up. If you put invalid Ids you are likely to experience game crashes when running the mod.
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

I've been asked by several people for a copy of this mod, so here it is:

WH40K 12.0

This is the last public release, v 12.0 which I believe does not include the GEM mod addon.

WH40K 12.1

This is a private release that Mensrea sent me to beta test. It does contain the GEM mod addon, and some additional content but is less stable than the version above. Note that CTDs have been prevalent since version 10.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

discovered this MOD some minutes ago: another masterpiece in the DW:U universe !!!

it seem that from now onwards I will only play this in my life.. [8D]
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

I've been asked by several people for a copy of this mod, so here it is:

WH40K 12.0

This is the last public release, v 12.0 which I believe does not include the GEM mod addon.

WH40K 12.1

This is a private release that Mensrea sent me to beta test. It does contain the GEM mod addon, and some additional content but is less stable than the version above. Note that CTDs have been prevalent since version 10.

-Repost so on last page-
XenoTheMorph

Post by XenoTheMorph »

Well I was interested in this Mod and did some searching and a working unstable/dev v13 link was found on the steam forums (as well as a live v10 link that seems to be missing in the opening post), it looks like it also has the needed dev notes to allow someone to continue if they want though!
It looks like the original author responded in Jan (this year!) to a comment on an old v10 posting there and found his old dev version to put up online.

Unfortunately as a new & 1st time posted I can't post the links (I REALLY tried to obfuscate them but that wouldn't work) so here is how to find it via google (someone please post with the actual links! [;)])

Search for WH40k mod v.13 it should be the top result 'Warhammer 40k Distant Worlds Mod - Steam Community'

(Edit: oh and if you post the steamcommunity link get it when your viewing the 6th page of comments as that has the importent comment from the author)
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

this should be the link XenoTheMorph asked for above:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/261470/d ... 902076411/
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

Awesome job finding this Xeno, I honestly thought he had died lol
tofudog

Post by tofudog »

So, any news?
WANT... MORE... MODDABILITY...
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

Mod is dead, last version available via that steam forum link.
tofudog

Post by tofudog »

Too bad. Such is life though.
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

Since I'm still getting emails about this mod having dead links despite the steam thread I decided to edit the OP to include both v.10 (possibly stable but with fewer features) and v.13. To clarify and reiterate what I said in the steam thread, I dropped development of the mod on account of it having performance issues that I couldn't diagnose. Somewhere along the way I broke something, but since it was just a CTD I had no way of figuring out what it was. The process of removing things -> testing would have been too daunting given the volume of data I had added, so I walked away to work on other projects.

Anyone who wishes to resume development is welcome to do so. Consider this my permission, you don't need to contact me. V.13 in the OP contains all my dev notes and plans for the future.

If I had to guess I would figure that the crashes are caused by memory requirements being exceeded. For that to be fixed everything would have to be scaled back: fewer ships, fewer stations, and a restoration of vanilla commercial mechanics. As I found with the gold resource there are some things that can technically be modded in this game but in actuality making alterations to them causes fatal errors. There really is a delicate balance and if you attempt to upset it you cause cascading failures, as I seemingly did by attempting to optimize economic activity. In conclusion, I really don't think the engine was intended to be used for a mod that changed so much. I was extremely naive to try to push it in any radical direction, regardless of what it said on the tin, but I suppose that's hindsight.

Hot damn though, I had some great games before they crashed!
tofudog

Post by tofudog »

I understand your decision, though I would have liked another outcome (Didn't we all!).
I also appreciate that you made the effort to explain what happened. In the spirit of rather failing ambitiously, than succeeding mediocrely this mod stands alongside Master of Orion III then.
Hats off to you ([&o]) and happy moddding.
If you like to wrangle a cranky engine I can warmly recommend Polaris Sector.

Return to “Design and Modding”