Re: Cavalry Help

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

jjnuk

Re: Cavalry Help

Post by jjnuk »

Anyone able to help me with Cavalry. I seem to lose approximately 70 men almost instantly everytime my cavalry make contact with other cavalry. It makes no difference if i charge stationary cavalry in the rear with fresh guard cavalry i still lose on shock of impact. It seems as if the charging unit takes the damage instead of the stationary unit. Any advice would be appreciated.
John
roy64

RE: Re: Cavalry Help

Post by roy64 »

I've had the same problem, my Carabiniers were annihilated in seconds by some weak light cavalry.
jjnuk

Post by jjnuk »

I' ve stopped using the carabinier. Even dutch reserve cavalry kills it in seconds. Which is a pity because i like carabiniers. I am sure there must be an error when cavalry first contacts the results on first contact seem the wrong way round.
mitra76

Post by mitra76 »

Can you generate a save of first moment before the contact? There's always a little advantage for who start first the melee state, but not so much to justify the a full squadron destruction if the stats are corrects.
Visit my wargame blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
roy64

Post by roy64 »

Just send your carabiniers into combat & watch them die in seconds.

From what I remember it happens all the time in the main Waterloo scenario, if they are under AI control they do a bit better.
roy64

Post by roy64 »

Yep, they were the buggers that did it to my carabiniers.
ulsterandy

Post by ulsterandy »

Perhaps the computer is using its brain? as at this stage of the war they were not that good. As most were dead in Russia frozen. They only carried the name of elite troops but were not elite I would say they were only good as Reg not even Veterans. But I have found them to be hard to kill at times as the British not played French (bah) sent it 2 good lt Cav and the lt Cav lost.
jjnuk

Post by jjnuk »

Do not mind them losing. It is just that at the moment of impact the carabiniers take 60-70 casaulties instantly without doing any damage. Then there is a melee where both sides lose between 10 and 20 men before the result is decided. I tried and get a save but it takes 2 hours of playing to get them into position then they die before i can even save the game as for some reason pause gets turned off while saving. On a plus note have found two whole french cavalry divisons hiding on the exact same spot as their commander.
mitra76

Post by mitra76 »

use the autosave to 1 minute, so to have the nearest save to the event
jjnuk

Post by jjnuk »

Haven't managed to get carabinier save yet. But had same problem with red lancers. Fresh undamaged Red Lancers Charging and taking 70 casualties instantly on contact with prussian cavalry. I Have a save how do i get it to you?
mitra76

Post by mitra76 »

You can zip and attach here, I think zipped should be sufficiently little as attachment
jjnuk

Post by jjnuk »

3.21 mb when zipped. How do i add it to post?
mitra76

Post by mitra76 »

Can you use sendspace www#sendspace#com or do you have google drive or dropbox for share the file?
jjnuk

Post by jjnuk »

can't post links yet though. Something about 7 days from tenth post.
mitra76

Post by mitra76 »

send me a PM
mitra76

Post by mitra76 »

Don't take for sure because I cannot check it directly debugging but what happen to your lancers can be that they were forced to the melee before being completly formed (they are switching from column to line) also if for a fraction of time, so they don't receive the melee bonus for the first contact with a complete formation (cavalry has a high melee bonus for simulate his impact against infantry and the first charge contact advantage). So the prussians have in the first loop a huge melee advantage which determine the initial big losses.
joebloggs

Post by joebloggs »

Hi,
Really enjoying the game but I too have noticed that my cavalry (only played French full battle a couple of times so far) seem to be rather impotent while attacking. Even attacking infantry not in square appears to do little damage.

Against other cavalry they usually lose quickly, route or surrender and don't seem to cause any casualties at all in a lot of cases for the loss of 60-100 men. Really frustrating. Maybe they are fighting with wet celery instead of swords?

I thought it was me and I was doing something wrong but interested to see it isn't just me. Or maybe it is me!!!!!!!

Anyway, I do enjoy the game but this possible bug makes me reluctant to attack with cavalry.

No plan surives contact with the next turn button.
mitra76

Post by mitra76 »

>Really enjoying the game but I too have noticed that my cavalry (only played French full battle a couple of times so far) seem to be rather impotent while attacking. Even attacking infantry not in >square appears to do little damage.

This depends much from how much the pursuit continue after the first contact and how much the cavalry is compact at the melee moment (more sprites in the contact at the first clash, more contacts during the pursuit); the damage inflicted is not only that of casualties but also to the morale because every retreat impacted on the total morale of unit (the morale bonus can maintain the morale bar high, in particular the support bonus are the more important, but the base morale of unit can drop if these went missing).

>Against other cavalry they usually lose quickly, route or surrender and don't seem to cause any casualties at all in a lot of cases for the loss of 60-100 men. Really frustrating. Maybe they are >fighting with wet celery instead of swords?

Every case can be different (see above), the factor in play are many, difficult to say what generate what you see without a real case to check.

jjnuk

Post by jjnuk »

Thanks for the answer. I will make sure my cavalry is formed and see if that makes a difference.

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”