DW:Universe named 13th best PC Strategy game of all time

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

tylertoo

DW:Universe named 13th best PC Strategy game of all time

Post by tylertoo »

The huge British gaming blog/news site Rock Paper Shotgun put out a purely subjective list of the The 50 Best PC Strategy Games of All Time, and DW:U is ranked #13, which I say is pretty darn good. Congrats to Code Force.

Here's the list. Obviously, as with any 'all-time' list, you can argue with the choices until you're blue in the face. But RPS has a pretty big following so its great they put DW up so high.
The Complete List

1 Civilization IV
2 Alpha Centauri
3 Crusader Kings II
4 Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
5 King of Dragon Pass
6 UFO: Enemy Unknown
7 Total War: Shogun 2
8 Endless Legend
9 Homeworld
10 Jagged Alliance II
11 Europa Universalis IV
12 XCOM: Enemy Unknown
13 Distant Worlds: Universe
14 Dominions IV
15 Solium Infernum
16 Master of Orion II
17 Neptune’s Pride
18 Company of Heroes
19 Panzer Corps
20 Men of War
21 StarCraft II
22 Unity of Command
23 DEFCON
24 Galactic Civilzations 2
25 AI War
26 Dwarf Fortress
27 Gary Grigsby’s War in the East
28 Rise of Nations
29 Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War
30 Wargame: AirLand Battle
31 Championship Manager: Season 01/02
32 Startopia
33 SimCity 4
34 Warcraft III
35 Age of Wonders II
36 Tropico IV
37 M.U.L.E.
38 Frozen Synapse
39 Heroes of Might and Magic III
40 Combat Mission: Battle For Normandy
41 Myth
42 Ground Control
43 The Settlers II
44 Battle for Wesnoth
45 R.U.S.E.
46 Warlords II
47 Master of Magic
48 Stronghold
49 Rollercoaster Tycoon
50 Transport Tycoon
Spidey

RE: DW:Universe named 13th best PC Strategy game of all time

Post by Spidey »

Aside from Civ2 not being on the list, my immediate reaction is that the list looks fair enough. DW clocking in at 13th overall is also both well-deserved and crazy impressive, considering the difference in budget and manpower relative to some of the other titles on the list. No C&C and no SotS feels a bit harsh, though.
deciplex

Post by deciplex »

Shogun 2 is that good? I have it, but I got halfway through the tutorial and just sorta got bored. I guess I had been playing too much R:TW while waiting for it to be released, heh.
feygan

Post by feygan »

Seeing some of the titles in that list I'm stunned how the XCOM reboot managed to get a spot.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

ORIGINAL: deciplex

Shogun 2 is that good? I have it, but I got halfway through the tutorial and just sorta got bored. I guess I had been playing too much R:TW while waiting for it to be released, heh.
I don't know, to be honest. I haven't exactly played all the games in the list. I suppose that would've been a fair disclaimer in my previous post.

And obviously there's also a fair bit of subjective bias in the list in terms of which release in a series that gets a spot. Otherwise I would've expected Starcraft 1 to be present and surely that's the reason why there's only one Civ title.

But all in all, I'm not seeing anything that I feel is hilariously "wrong". They picked Civ 4 as top pick and while I wasn't that drawn in by it, I think it's a fair decision. Alpha Centauri second? Fair. CK2 third? Fair. SupCom fourth? Hell if I know. Same thing with KoDC, UFO, and a bunch of others. They picked a total war game as seventh and that's probably fair, though I've never really paid attention to Shogon 2. I was still happy with RTW back then and my computer couldn't handle STW2 anyway. Homeworld is in top 10, which is very fair. EU4 as low as 11? Well, 11 on a list of all time is not bad, is it? MOO2 as far down as 16 is perhaps a bit harsh, but then it was a very long time ago and SC2, a super-hyped tripple-A game from "fantastic" game makers Blizzard, is ranked even lower.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Awesome, congrats guys, and well deserved. I can certainly say DW:U has set a new bar for 4X for me. Other games, which I would normally have jumped on in a heartbeat (like GalCiv3), now just seem old fashioned and pale in comparison.

Also good to see my other favourite game, Crusader Kings 2, getting a lot of love on that list. Both DW and CK2 have redefined what I thought a strategy game could be, and what I'm looking for from now on.
elite

Post by elite »

Well done for getting to such a high place, I'm sure many of us here would put the game in the top 10, myself included.
Siddham

Post by Siddham »

Excellent result for Distant Worlds. Hopefully it will encourage more people to play the game.
But at €55 it is a bit expensive to 'try it out' to see if you like it.
Maybe if there were a demo?
jamus34

Post by jamus34 »

My main issues with that list are:
No civ 2
SupCom in top 10, really??? And I like that series too.
MOO2 that low
RUSE on this list at all? I can think of at least 20 games that are better (TA, C&C, heck I'd even take Antareus Rising or Perimeter over RUSE)

all in all a good list though (is it sad I own in some for or another the top 14?)
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

After a quick scan of the list, it looks like they decided to only have 1 game from each franchise, which is why no Civ2 or Starcraft1.
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Congrats to Distant Worlds much deserved! Endless Legend seems a little high for my taste Age of Wonders 3 is much better!

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”