"Guardsmen" - NATO vs. AI

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

kool_kat

"Guardsmen" - NATO vs. AI

Post by kool_kat »

Gents: [8D]

I've cranked out another one! [X(]

After hostilities broke out, Army National Guard units were called up and deployed overseas to Germany. One of the first to arrive on the battlefront was the 1st Battalion / 148th Infantry Regiment of the Ohio Army National Guard. The Guardsmen were hustled up to the front lines and than assigned to a quiet sector on the Wumme River. There the unit waited three days for additional orders. It was the classic "hurry up and wait" syndrome. But in the early morning hours of July 25, the waiting period ended. Soviet long range recon units were probing for crossing points along the Wumme River and the Ohio National Guard was in their way. The unit's motto was "We''ll do it", but it was not clear if the Guardsmen would be able to live up to that motto today!

NATO vs. AI only.

Recommended optional rules: C, D, and E.

Please download and let me know what you think!

Attachments
NM_ASGuardsmen.zip
(87.76 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
SwampYankee68

RE: "Guardsmen" NATO vs. AI

Post by SwampYankee68 »

As a former guardsman who served in the 80's, this appeals to me. We were a straight leg infantry unit. I was quite convinced that if we ever got sent to Europe as a part of Reforger we'd be set up somewhere to be a speedbump. Slow the Pact down a bit and make them use up some ammunition and time killing us.

Ah, to be young enough to be considered cannon fodder once more... good times! [8D]
"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I need to get my computer problems sorted out so I can give yours and Tazak's scenarios a spin.

Thanks for sharing!
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

ORIGINAL: Swamp_Yankee

As a former guardsman who served in the 80's, this appeals to me. We were a straight leg infantry unit. I was quite convinced that if we ever got sent to Europe as a part of Reforger we'd be set up somewhere to be a speedbump. Slow the Pact down a bit and make them use up some ammunition and time killing us.

Ah, to be young enough to be considered cannon fodder once more... good times! [8D]

Hey John: [8D]

Many thanks for sharing your story... and I hope you enjoy my scenario as well! [:)]
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

Guardsmen served as a valiant "speed bump" and came out of it with a Decisive Win! [:)]

Attachments
NM_ASGuardsmen11.jpg
NM_ASGuardsmen11.jpg (581.12 KiB) Viewed 118 times
Regards, - Mike

DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Will these be ok to run with the 2.0.9 beta?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Don't see why not, we are. [;)]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: Swamp_Yankee

I was quite convinced that if we ever got sent to Europe as a part of Reforger we'd be set up somewhere to be a speedbump. Slow the Pact down a bit and make them use up some ammunition and time killing us. [8D]
I was there for 4 years in the mid 80's, they always told us we were the speed bump for you Reforger guys. [:(]
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

I recently played my "Guardsmen" scenario. NATO was able to achieve a "Marginal Success" (44%)... only 1 percentage from a "Contested Battle!" Wow!

[X(]

Attachments
NM_AS Guardsmen 2.jpg
NM_AS Guardsmen 2.jpg (600.6 KiB) Viewed 118 times
Regards, - Mike

Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 »

Looks like an interesting scenario. One suggestion is to make clear which river is the Weidebach River. The scenario briefing indicates the mission is to hold the bridges over the Weidebach as long as possible. My first impression was the river running from the SW to the NE needed to be defended. But now, I think it is the river running W to E but still not absolutely sure. I found some labels on the rivers but none were for the Weidebach. One was labeled Wumme and the other labeled Wieste. So just not sure which river is the Weidebach. I guess what I am really trying to determine is whether the Reds will advance from the west or the north and how to orient my defense.

PS: Also I am curious what hypothetical year the scenario takes place. Helps to give an idea of what sort of equipment the Reds might have.
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

ORIGINAL: Jagger2002

Looks like an interesting scenario. One suggestion is to make clear which river is the Weidebach River. The scenario briefing indicates the mission is to hold the bridges over the Weidebach as long as possible. My first impression was the river running from the SW to the NE needed to be defended. But now, I think it is the river running W to E but still not absolutely sure. I found some labels on the rivers but none were for the Weidebach. One was labeled Wumme and the other labeled Wieste. So just not sure which river is the Weidebach. I guess what I am really trying to determine is whether the Reds will advance from the west or the north and how to orient my defense.

PS: Also I am curious what hypothetical year the scenario takes place. Helps to give an idea of what sort of equipment the Reds might have.

Thank you for your feedback! I've revised all of my scenarios by including more information (Scenario Briefing) and in the case of "Guardsmen" - clarified the deployment and direction of the WP attack.

Regards, - Mike

IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

Some comments and questions:

1. A "Team" in the US Army is a company sized unit that is task organized as a mix of infantry and tank platoons. What you call "Team Bravo" looks to be a pure infantry battalion. The unit should probably be called "1-148 IN"
2. It seems to me that rifle each platoon should have two M60 MG teams, consisting of gunner, assistant gunner, and ammo bearer
3. I am pretty sure non-roundout National Guard rifle companies had 81mm mortars, not 60mm. NY NG, for example, had 81mm.
4. I'd expect this Bn would be organized as 3 x rifle company and a CSC (Combat Support Company), which has Sct Plt, Heavy Mortar Plt (4.2 inch), and AT Plt (TOW jeep or HMMWV). I say this as I think 1-148 IN was a ROAD TOE, not a Div 86 TOE.
5. I think a TOW jeep had racks for two missiles, not 4.
6. The Weidebach river is the short one east of Mulmshorn. It has a single bridge crossing it. Did you mean a different river?
7. If you order a commander to "hold the bridges", shouldn't those have VPs next to them?
8. What's the rationale for the battalion's organic anti-armor assets starting off map? The unit has been in place for 3 days.
9. I am not sure, but I think you're basically using VP's to guide the AI. Is that so?
Jeff
Sua Sponte
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

Hey Jeff: [8D]

Thanks very much for your detailed feedback / observations! [:)]

I'll work to incorporate what I can in my next version effort!

ORIGINAL: Iron Mike Golf

Some comments and questions:

1. A "Team" in the US Army is a company sized unit that is task organized as a mix of infantry and tank platoons. What you call "Team Bravo" looks to be a pure infantry battalion. The unit should probably be called "1-148 IN"
2. It seems to me that rifle each platoon should have two M60 MG teams, consisting of gunner, assistant gunner, and ammo bearer
3. I am pretty sure non-roundout National Guard rifle companies had 81mm mortars, not 60mm. NY NG, for example, had 81mm.
4. I'd expect this Bn would be organized as 3 x rifle company and a CSC (Combat Support Company), which has Sct Plt, Heavy Mortar Plt (4.2 inch), and AT Plt (TOW jeep or HMMWV). I say this as I think 1-148 IN was a ROAD TOE, not a Div 86 TOE.
5. I think a TOW jeep had racks for two missiles, not 4.
6. The Weidebach river is the short one east of Mulmshorn. It has a single bridge crossing it. Did you mean a different river?
7. If you order a commander to "hold the bridges", shouldn't those have VPs next to them?
8. What's the rationale for the battalion's organic anti-armor assets starting off map? The unit has been in place for 3 days.
9. I am not sure, but I think you're basically using VP's to guide the AI. Is that so?
Regards, - Mike

WABAC

Post by WABAC »

Been a while since I had time to participate. But I am now enjoying some time off due to a summer cold.

I couldn't find a lot of info on the H series infantry units. The first million search results were all about what happened when light infantry came in.

I thought this article about the 3/87th might interest some of you: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a277590.pdf

For those of you that don't follow links, it seems that the 60mm mortar was in use with some units up to Desert Storm. And that it is likely they would have had 81mm mortars at the combat support company.

IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

My guess is they were starting the transition from 7-15H TOE to 7-15L. 7-15L is the Light Inf TOE. The "officially" went to 7-15L in Sep 90. The report says implementation didn't happen until return from Germany. I bet some reorg started prior to deployment.

That's not to say a unit (and 3-87 Inf) didn't have lines in the MTOE that were ILO (one type of equipment In Lieu Of another). I've seen that many times.
Jeff
Sua Sponte
WABAC

Post by WABAC »

At armchair general I found a 7-15H TOE from 1970.

I love the icon of the boots. I might think about replacing the current infantry icon. [:)]

I'm guessing the 1/4 ton vehicle is the M151. The 3/4 ton looks like the M37 Dodge.
Attachments
TOE715H.zip
(320.19 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
MBot

RE: "Guardsmen" - NATO vs. AI

Post by MBot »

Very cool mission. With these leg units you basically plant them at the start of the mission and then watch how your setup plays out, with one adjustment of emphasis possible with the arrival of the AT company. The scenario length was well chosen for this type of play.

Managed a decisive victory saved by the timer, with 50% causalities and 30 of 36 Guardsmen squads lost. The TOW jeeps did pretty good though. I hope after the scenario ends we were relieved by a counter attack, because I was about to being whipped off the map :)

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”