Since no theater AI control available...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

MrDave

Since no theater AI control available...

Post by MrDave »

how do you manage such a vast domain? Nimitz did not control the war in China did he?
In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH
Bullwinkle58

RE: Since no theater AI control available...

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

You wear multiple hats in the game. From FDR on down. Most vets would say they manage well enough to only make mistakes daily. [:)]
The Moose
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

LOL.
In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Think of this game as the most expensive and delicate of wines, to be sipped and every morsel tasted to its utmost. Once you get going a couple of hours per move is pretty standard, it will last you a long long time this purchase.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

ORIGINAL: MrDave
how do you manage such a vast domain?

When I first started playing I developed a habit for doing turns that I still use today. I take the game on in theater sized bites. I focus on one theater until I've completed orders there, then I move on to the next.

Here's how I break it down as an allied player:

India
Burma
Malaya
DEI's
Philippines
Australia
South Pacific
Central Pacific
West Coast
North Pacific
Russia (only needs checking once in a great while)
China

It's not uncommon for me to sit down and do one or two of the above theaters and save my turns progress to come back later when I have time. By breaking it down this way I don't redo stuff I've done before when I leave a turn like that.

Jim
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

This will help you, MrDave.

Attachments
Illusion01.jpg
Illusion01.jpg (307.58 KiB) Viewed 71 times
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Thanks witpqs. Trying to sort through China and decide what to do I was getting a bit disoriented and overwhelmed. Your pic really helped clear my head.
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
Justus2

Post by Justus2 »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

Thanks witpqs. Trying to sort through China and decide what to do I was getting a bit disoriented and overwhelmed. Your pic really helped clear my head.

I thought that pic was the map of China... That's what it looks like to me on the first turn, anyway.
Just when I get the hang of a game, I buy two more... :)
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Serious question though: I vaguely recall being able to turn 'regions' or theatres of the map into "auto AI" control in WiTP. Haven't noticed anything like this in AE. Have I just missed it, or is my memory of WiTP faulty?
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Serious question though: I vaguely recall being able to turn 'regions' or theatres of the map into "auto AI" control in WiTP. Haven't noticed anything like this in AE. Have I just missed it, or is my memory of WiTP faulty?
WITP, yes. WITP-AE, never. Not from day one.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

So, no "leave the China to the computer gambit" [:@][:D]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Yes, you can do that. Units will still defend when they are attacked! [:D]
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Have you looked at China? There are regiments prepared to defend/attack towns on the other side of the freaking country! Headquarters sections that are leading the charge in the attack. Unit prepped for communities that apparently do not exist! [:)] Its like it was organized by Lyndon Johnson or something.
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

I downloaded a the full map and divided it into areas with a marker(Alaska and Canada, Hawaiian Islands and Midway,
Australia, China etc)
Once a month I inspect every base in an area and check it off.
This is when I make most of my moves in China. I make notes of units that are moving then I check every few days
until they arrive then switch them to rest or combat as needed.
Playing Allies vs AI this works well for me.

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

There is a "Quiet China" scenario.

We tried to keep the zone AI control thing, but the changes made for AE made the old system unusable and it was a massive project to rebuild it from scratch, so it was sacrificed.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

We tried to keep the zone AI control thing, but the changes made for AE made the old system unusable and it was a massive project to rebuild it from scratch, so it was sacrificed.

Bill

I'm doing my first campaign against the computer - quiet China. I've done NOTHING there except buy out the Flying Tigers and used them in Burma (tried to hold Rangoon - didn't work) and India before they disbanded. In November 1942 the computer still attacks from time to time, but doesn't seem to have added forces.
Bill Goin
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

ORIGINAL: wegman58

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

I'm doing my first campaign against the computer - quiet China. I've done NOTHING there except buy out the Flying Tigers and used them in Burma (tried to hold Rangoon - didn't work) and India before they disbanded. In November 1942 the computer still attacks from time to time, but doesn't seem to have added forces.

I hope none of you guys take any of my posts that might seem critical too seriously. The game is a masterpiece and some 'disorganization' in China makes complete sense given the nature of the forces being represented [:)]

I'm well past the early getting back into it phase where the sheer volume and detail are excruciating and well into the "damn this is cool" addictive phase. I'm just about to get my first ever PBEM turn sent to Malagant and I'm looking forward to further studying, erm, I mean -playing- the game against the AI as I wait for turns to come back from him.

No game can be everything, and no intellectual product is ever perfect. But this game comes as close to perfection for a grand historical strategy game as I've ever seen.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”