Command and other "ranges"

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

dr.hal

Command and other "ranges"

Post by dr.hal »

Folks, I read an astonishing "fact" in a post the other day that really set things out of kilter for me. One person wrote that the command radius for HQs that have a "1" rating means that they only impact the hex they are IN!!!! Is this the case? I was always under the impression that the hex a unit was in was "0" hex, and a "1" meant one hex out. But if I'm wrong I need to know about it. I have often put my HQ one hex behind knowing that the influence would be in the six hexes around the HQ. Additionally if this is correct, that the hex a unit is in, is the "1" hex radius, is this true for other units or actions that have a "radius" rating? For example a search radius, does "1" start in the unit's hex or the next one out? This is a strategic as well as a tactical consideration that I seem to not fully understand! If you "know" the answer I would appreciate references to guidelines, I could find nothing in the manual, but that certainly doesn't mean it isn't in there! Thanks, Hal
witpqs

RE: Command and other "ranges"

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Folks, I read an astonishing "fact" in a post the other day that really set things out of kilter for me. One person wrote that the command radius for HQs that have a "1" rating means that they only impact the hex they are IN!!!! Is this the case? I was always under the impression that the hex a unit was in was "0" hex, and a "1" meant one hex out. But if I'm wrong I need to know about it. I have often put my HQ one hex behind knowing that the influence would be in the six hexes around the HQ. Additionally if this is correct, that the hex a unit is in, is the "1" hex radius, is this true for other units or actions that have a "radius" rating? For example a search radius, does "1" start in the unit's hex or the next one out? This is a strategic as well as a tactical consideration that I seem to not fully understand! If you "know" the answer I would appreciate references to guidelines, I could find nothing in the manual, but that certainly doesn't mean it isn't in there! Thanks, Hal
Read my reply to him in that same thread and wdolsen's confirmation thereafter. [:)]
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Forgive me, but what reply in what thread? Hal
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Forgive me, but what reply in what thread? Hal
You are as bad as I am! [:D]

I'll have to look around, but it's in the same thread that you are talking about, down the page some.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Well that certainly clears things up, thanks so much, as I really was thrown by the "self hex" concept (vice "self help"!). It's nice to know SOMEONE keeps track of these things. And NO witpqs, I'm not as bad as you are, I'm FAR worse.

Again thanks. Hal

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”