How to increase the number of civil freighters?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

kotti

How to increase the number of civil freighters?

Post by kotti »

Hello,

is there a way to increase the overall numbers of civil freighters or can I even influence it? Can it be done by modding the game?
I have several colonies with only a star base (medical + recreation) on it and a main starbase at my home world. All resources all available, but still I have shortages.
Jeeves

RE: How to increase the number of civil freighters?

Post by Jeeves »

A long time ago, there were 14 small, 10 medium and 6 large freighters in a ship set. That number was cut back due to improvements in civilian shipping even more than the current level, but increased to what it is now due to flaws in the algorithm and complaints. Rest assured, you do NOT need MORE freighters. What EVERYBODY needs is an improved civilian shipping algorithm. But the problem has limited solutions because of execution time problems limiting the amount of intelligence that can be applied to the allocation of missions. Even so, you don't have to look at more than a half dozen freighters arriving at your home world to find idiot missions like bringing in 4 steel when you need 110k of it...

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
PsyKoSnake

Post by PsyKoSnake »

Uppdrade all you mine at once.

You will get many civilian ship to be constructed.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

A new colony should add more, more than required for the colony's use. Potentially adding mines help, but I never noticed.

If you have shortages, you could lack enough mines (you can check totals expansion planner, and see the mine's cargo in the ship list). Also, losing a lot of ships won't help the resource situation.

Check whether the problem is in getting stuff "home" or in getting stuff at all :)

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”