do modifiers from different sources stack?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Lonck

do modifiers from different sources stack?

Post by Lonck »

population growth or research. If I have a leader and a colony governor on a planet and both have skills that increase pop growth by 100% plus colony has resources that increase pop growth for the natives by 100% does the colony have 300% growth or only one modifier source applies? What about multiple governors or leaders (using the editor)?
DeadlyShoe

RE: do modifiers from different sources stack?

Post by DeadlyShoe »

I believe the best available from a single bonus type stacks additively with other bonus types.

for example you only get the best single scientist bonus on a station, but that stacks with leader bonuses and empire bonuses.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Actually it is a bit of a dogs breakfast. [:D]

For scientists the best bonus fully counts and then the next counts less, and the next one somewhat less... can't remember specifically but something like the second one only adds half, the third only a quarter, etc. In this case the bits are added up and added to the location bonus (but only the best location plus scientists present bonus is used) but then this figure is multiplied by leader bonus, and government bonus, and racial bonus. Probably multiplied also by wonder or facility (=special location here) bonus but I think only one of these last two can be used.

You leader and colony governor (if present) both give their full bonuses to a colony. These are added together. I think that the characters pop growth bonus is multiplied by the pop growth of the colony, and suspect that this is also multiplied by the racial bonus, and multiplied by the government bonus. Not sure about a wonder growth bonus but I think that it is multiplied by all the others and does not replace anything. I don't think that you are able to have multiple leaders for this...

If that sounds all over the place well, that's the way the game is with bonuses. I may have got a specific bit wrong somewhere...

p.s. If the bonuses in you example are all 100% then I read it as-
300% (base 100% plus leader 100% plus governor 100%)x 200% (100% plus racial 100%) = 600%
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

For scientists the best bonus fully counts and then the next counts less, and the next one somewhat less... can't remember specifically but something like the second one only adds half, the third only a quarter, etc.
If I'm not mistaken, the scientists must also all be present in the same location for their bonuses to add together like this; if they're not, then all the scientists colocated with the scientist who has the highest bonus in a given field will add their bonuses in that field to the top guy, but all the scientists with bonuses in that field who are not colocated with the top guy will not add their bonuses.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Yes, that is right. The scientists at a location all add their bonuses together, and to that of the location bonus (if any) but then only the best scoring scientist(s)+location in a tech branch is chosen for use. (A lab of the appropriate tech branch is needed at that location.) Apologies if I did not make this clear.
Vardis

Post by Vardis »

The combined research bonus for scientists + location is multiplied by the sum of the bonuses for government type, ultra genius scientist trait (max of 1), racial bonus, and leader's bonus. I'm not sure where the wonder bonuses go in the equation.
Airpower

Post by Airpower »

As a random aside - don't scrap a research base with scientists on it. They suck vacuum if you do.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

ORIGINAL: Airpower

As a random aside - don't scrap a research base with scientists on it. They suck vacuum if you do.
But but, it's a great way to get rid of those Demoralizing Traitors!

...ok dismissing works too...

Maybe fill a station with them, then give it to an enemy. :)
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

Yes, that is right. The scientists at a location all add their bonuses together, and to that of the location bonus (if any) but then only the best scoring scientist(s)+location in a tech branch is chosen for use. (A lab of the appropriate tech branch is needed at that location.) Apologies if I did not make this clear.

Wow, I have been at it all wrong! I have two scientists with hi tech bonuses at different locations but if I understand correctly it would be better for them both to be located together? The sucky thing is one has the demoralizer trait but ultra genius too![X(]
No problem Chief!
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Without the demoralising trait it would certainly be better to have them together (at your best hi tech bonus research location).

The demoralising trait is pretty powerful for scientists though. You don't want to space an ultra-genius (unless you have a spare) but it could be worthwhile sticking them out of the way (no-one else present, no or low bonus location) and making sure your other scientist does most of the leveling up (just make sure their bonus plus that of the location tops your that of your demoraliser), since any further hi tech scientist(s) you get could be sent to work in that lab. [:)]

More generally I tend to scrap old research stations on lower bonuses, although keeping the second-highest location can be useful if nastiness happens...
deathnoise

Post by deathnoise »

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

Actually it is a bit of a dogs breakfast. [:D]

For scientists the best bonus fully counts and then the next counts less, and the next one somewhat less...

Nah, it's 3 top skills of each type from 3 top scientists at the same location, but you need to have an additional 3 research facilities of each type (hightech, weapon, energy), one of each kind for every scientist and keep best 3 of them in the same space port, to also get the research location bonus.

Then - their bonuses fully stack.

If you want to fully utilize all bonuses, you need to have 9 scientists at 3 different locations with three 50% bonuses, one of every kind (hightech, weapon, energy) and 3 additional research facilities of the same type as the location bonus. You need to keep the scientists at the space ports, afaik.

p.s
edit.. I may be wrong wrong.I need to recheck it, again..

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”