New questions.

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

stormbringer3

New questions.

Post by stormbringer3 »

I've been playing pre-warp with the galaxy size recommended in Timotheous' thread "New Guy Nubie Guide..." but I'd like some recommendations for settings, number of races etc. to play on a smaller scale.
I'm also playing mostly manual. I've been upgrading private ships, mining bases etc. with Warp and other techs as they become available. Is this the right course of action? Is there a way to let the AI do this but keep state ships, bases etc. on manual?
Last an opinion. I really like this game but the way the save game functions especially when updates occur is a real mess. There are so many Matrix Games with a great save game function. I hope that the developers will look them over amd make some changes.
Thanks for any opinions.
Bingeling

RE: New questions.

Post by Bingeling »

You can copy the saves to the proper folder when a patch hits. The way it is done is good if a patch makes old save incompatible.

An old default galaxy is 700 stars on a 10x10. So in average 7 stars a sector. Keep this in mind when going up or down in size. Do you prefer more or less star density? That is for your to decide.

The game also likes 11 races as default for that 700/10x10. Scale it from there.

In the policy window you can automate ship design, and uncheck various ship classes from the auto designer.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

I just discovered a new government type, Way of Darkness. The description describes it as from an evil empire. When I compare it to my current Republic, all the stats are equal or way better. What are the downsides to this government type? It doesn't state what they are.
Thanks for any opinions.
unclean

Post by unclean »

It's very polarizing diplomatically, but that's it. Way of Ancients and Darkness are very strong.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

Thanks for the info. So far, after many, many starts, I'm doing pretty good in this game. Would instituting this new government be a game breaker making me too strong? Conversely, I'm not in a position to withstand everyone going to war with me. Is it best to only change to the above governments to try and catch up in a game where you are a ways behind?
Thanks again.
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

it might make you very strong, but be aware there's a fairly sharp temporary loss in colony development that will result in a income hit when you switch government types. this is always a problem, whether you are ahead or behind.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”