Assign Air Army to Stavka?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

loki100

Assign Air Army to Stavka?

Post by loki100 »

Quick question, it seems as if you cannot move an air army HQ to the direct control of Stavka once it has been assigned to another Front/MD. Is this WAD?
gingerbread

RE: Assign Air Army to Stavka?

Post by gingerbread »

I think Air armies can only be assigned to Front/M.D type HQ. STAVKA has the Long Range Air Command as a go between.
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

-
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

ORIGINAL: hfarrish

In any case, wouldn't it generally be a mistake to assign air armies to STAVKA since they won't support combats of a given Front? I.E. if you want ground support in a region you need to have air assets assigned to the relevant Front...

Well, if it isn't possible it can't be a mistake. [;)] But seriously, in my Soviet vs. AI game, I recently played through the mud season of April 1943 as Soviet fronts' command capacity increased from 81 to 90. Also, a new front will be activated in late May. So I spent these turns in a massive reorganization of my fronts. Among other things I wanted to pull several airbases under two air HQs to be set aside for the new front when it came. Until the arrival of the new front, I was hoping to put these air armies under STAVKA in order not to overload the two fronts from which they came. So I was surprised and irritated to find out that the transfer to STAVKA is apparently not allowed. IMHO the situation I described here is a legitimate case for putting these HQs under STAVKA command for a short time.
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

In any case, wouldn't it generally be a mistake to assign air armies to STAVKA since they won't support combats of a given Front? I.E. if you want ground support in a region you need to have air assets assigned to the relevant Front...

Yes, but what if you have several armies assigned to STAVKA due to front overload. It would be very useful to have air support for these armies. Best solution is probably to save one or two of those BAK air headquarters.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

thanks everyone for the comments, very useful.

I'm in a mess of my own making in my campaign with SigUP, this is exactly what I am trying to achieve:
ORIGINAL: Oshawott

Yes, but what if you have several armies assigned to STAVKA due to front overload. It would be very useful to have air support for these armies. Best solution is probably to save one or two of those BAK air headquarters.

My problem was early game I got far too enthusiastic at culling the Soviet air OOB, and got rid not just of some secondary tier HQs but everything connected to the Strategic Air Command. What I know think I should have done was to ditch the top HQ in that chain and keep 3 out of 4 of the local HQs. For 1941 these would do well with the PVO and VVS bases (ie interceptors and partisan supply, recon and possibly air drops). One of these in the north, one around Moscow and one in the Ukraine would give good cover.

By 1942 if I wanted to keep a strategic reserve under Stavka, I could re-organise one of these commands with a more balanced set of airbases and then they'd support any armies I committed onto a give sector. I think I am due what will be a spare air army later in 42 (I kept the commands that starts with the Volga and the Moscow MDs), so for now I'll slot this spare air HQ into which ever of these two MDs seems the most useful and assign the armies too. They all have good army commanders so I think I can cope with a rubbish front command.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”