Can each planet only have one manufactured resource??

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

uberknight72

Can each planet only have one manufactured resource??

Post by uberknight72 »

Im wondering because it doesn't say anything about it in the modding guide yet it seem that when I try to make anymore than one manufactured resource, like have one resource appear at 1 billion pop, 50 development, then the next at 3 billion pop, 50 development, and the third at 4 billion pop, 50 development, only the first manufactured resource that my pop reaches to activate ever appears.

Though I know the other ones can appear because I tested each one individually as I made them and they functioned just fine. Also I noticed that if a race starts out with enough pop for the second resource already they'll get that one, but none of the others. Idk if im doing something wrong or if one manufactured resource a colony is the hard limit.

Im doing this for my Reaslistic Resource Revamp mod.
Darkspire

RE: Can each planet only have one manufactured resource??

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: uberknight72

Im wondering because it doesn't say anything about it in the modding guide yet it seem that when I try to make anymore than one manufactured resource, like have one resource appear at 1 billion pop, 50 development, then the next at 3 billion pop, 50 development, and the third at 4 billion pop, 50 development, only the first manufactured resource that my pop reaches to activate ever appears.

Though I know the other ones can appear because I tested each one individually as I made them and they functioned just fine. Also I noticed that if a race starts out with enough pop for the second resource already they'll get that one, but none of the others. Idk if im doing something wrong or if one manufactured resource a colony is the hard limit.

You need to read the post I made in the thread where you first mentioned this for more detail, there are only eight resource types allowed per colonizable planet type.

You really need to build resources.txt from scratch to accommodate the manufactured goods, start from a clean slate and work out where and how much for every resource type, as I said in that post, it is not for the faint of heart, but I am sure your tenacity will get you through [;)]

Darkspire
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: Darkspire
ORIGINAL: uberknight72

You need to read the post I made in the thread where you first mentioned this for more detail, there are only eight resource types allowed per colonizable planet type.

You really need to build resources.txt from scratch to accommodate the manufactured goods, start from a clean slate and work out where and how much for every resource type, as I said in that post, it is not for the faint of heart, but I am sure your tenacity will get you through [;)]

Darkspire

But if a planet had only, say, 6 resource types already, do you know if it would be possible in principle for it to pick up 2 manufactured resources?
Osito
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

But if a planet had only, say, 6 resource types already, do you know if it would be possible in principle for it to pick up 2 manufactured resources?

That will work, the default resources.txt has many more than 8 per location, hence you have to clear all the amounts for each colonizable location and rebuild it by working out how much and where each resource is needed, and from experience when doing that it is advised to then work out where and what is placed at barren rock, asteroid and metal asteroid, to balance things out, gas locations, gas giants and nebulae, are a little easier to work with, just remember to keep the total abundance amounts for a given resource type within a set parameter, like you have a put steel in a number of locations, make sure that the total abundance for those locations is within a certain amount,

required abundance=500
5xlocation=100 per location

Darkspire
uberknight72

Post by uberknight72 »

With my mod most planets only have four resources on them at a time anyway, leaving a whopping four extra slots to fill most of the time. I wanted to create the manufactured resources so that if a planet doesn't have access to any luxuries it can still continue to develop the larger the population gets. Since I don't believe that a planet with around 8 billion inhabitants wouldnt figure out means to stimulate trade on their own, at least to an extent of 30% only at the most populated planets. And even if the planet didn't have anymore room on it's resource list for all three, the manufactured resources will just fill in the space naturally with production so that almost every planet will eventually reach it's maximum potential. Im not worried if all three doesn't appear on every planet, since if they cant then that just means that the planet already has a naturally occurring industry like ekarus meat or megalos nuts and it doesn't need to develop it's own merchandise or manufactured luxuries.

I looked at all the other starting races and at the most they have 6 on their starting planet (which was the only one out of 12 races). So that means that at the VERY least all starting planets in that game should have access to two manufactured resources once they reach the population prerequisite.

I dont think I need to rewrite the whole resource system,considering my mod with all the original strategic resources stripped out, alter values here and there, and renamed luxuries is running perfectly fine and just as intended. There seems to be no explination as to why each planet won't produce more than one manufactured resource at a time besides some hard-coded limit that hasn't been pointed out
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

There seems to be no explination as to why each planet won't produce more than one manufactured resource at a time besides some hard-coded limit that hasn't been pointed out

I don't have any problems with having up to four manufactured good types from the design plan I made for resources.txt at each planet type, so no, not hard-coded. I worked extensively with the manufactured goods as it was me that had the idea of putting them in, so I had to test them thoroughly.

This is an image from the expansion planner with four types at a colonizable planet type.

Darkspire
pycco

Post by pycco »

cant wait to see where this is going looks very interesting.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Are you balancing the abundance values for strategic and luxury resources to take into account the appearance of manufactured goods?
This is why I said you need to start from scratch as just altering what is already there caused me the same problems at first, you need to clear the slate, and work out each locations amounts. If the total chance of strategic and luxury resources appearing at a location is higher than the manufactured goods than the goods are not going to be so forthcoming with there appearance.

Darkspire
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: pycco

cant wait to see where this is going looks very interesting.

Grab the popcorn and strap in, this could be a bumpy ride [:D]

Darkspire
uberknight72

Post by uberknight72 »

Well, I guess one of these free afternoons ill just have to rebuild my mod from the ground up -.-

But the thing is that I wouldn't know exactly what to change. So far the strategic and luxury chances and abundances all seem just fine. If i was to re-write it from the ground up it wouldn't be much different. UGGH why can't things ever be simple -.-

Well before I totally gut hours of work do you think you can do me a favor and take a glance at my resource file, maybe test a bit and see whats up
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ewc90 ... d_build.7z

Since you know a lot more about the system then I do perhaps I just wrote something wrong preventing colonys and homeworlds from producing more than one manufactured resource. I would really appreciate more experienced eyes taking a quick look over. And if anything give you some insight as to what im trying to do since everything else BUT the manufactured resources that I have written at the bottom of the list works just fine. And maybe point my knife in the right direction when I do this gutting... Cause right now I have no clue where I would take it beyond where it already is, lol
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Had a quick glance through,

35 resources in RRREB 40 in DW vanilla 57 in Darkverse

I have already hit 8 resource types at continental(0) and I have only got to #17 out of 35, with the manufactured goods that brings the total so far to 11 at one location type.

You will need to note down how many resources you have at each location type, change / build / distribute the strategic and luxury goods so as to leave a few spaces at each location for the manufactured goods, just ensure that the important ones go down first, gold, steel etc then the luxury, then the manufactured goods. Try aiming for 6 different types at each colonizable location, without the manufactured goods, get that tested and working then go back in and add the MG's (manufactured goods), set there abundance values low so that they easily appear and test again.

Also, try to get into the habit of using space and tab to separate things so as to line the columns / numbers up, wont cause a DW crash but does overload the noggin trying to work it out, column spacing after the initial set data is fine, the first one with name and setup data is pretty confusing to check, get into the habit now and it will save you loads of time when checking for problems.

Code: Select all

20, Beautifully Scaled Hides,     20, 10.0, 2, 0, N, N, 0, 0,
 21, Vibrant Silks,                21, 10.0, 2, 0, N, N, 0, 0,

Your heading in the right direction, just need to fine tune the steering a bit, have a go at what I said and see how it works out, I like the idea of what you are doing and will be only to happy to help if needs be to look at anything you are unsure of, just take things slowly and methodically and all will be shiny [:)]

Darkspire
uberknight72

Post by uberknight72 »

AHHH
I think i understand now. Its not whats physically at the planet, but what resources can potentually be there! Or at least thats what i think you mean XD
And im certianly going to column that shit

I quickly jotted down a new resource plan limiting 6 (non manufactured) resources to each planet type like you suggested. I scrapped organics since i consider it the least important resource and most redundant to have since the only resources they cover are things that can have a million and one different alternatives, so im cutting down the primary to three. (Note: the first three resources for each planet are ALWAYS 100% chance of appearing at each panet, just have very low abundance.)

Cont
-common
-rare
-radio
-perfect wine
-succulent meat
-extravagant furs

Marsh
-common
-rare
-radio
-Loros Fruit
-rare spices
-beautiful feathers

Ocean
-common
-rare
-radio
-aquatic Incense
-rich Pearls
-dilithium crystal*

Desert
-common
-rare
-radioactive
-aromatic incense
-vibrant silk
-Korabbian Spice

Ice
-common
-rare
-radio
-strong ivory
-frost ale
-emeros crystal*

Volcanic
-common
-rare
-radio
-rare gems
-Zentabia Fluid
-nekros stone*

Barren
-common
-rare
-radio
-moon stone gin
-star jades
-xithricite*

Extra note:

astroids
-common minerals
-rare minerals
-Space Slug Eggs

So basicallly what your saying is if i rewrite my resources into what that list shows then i should be able to fit 3 extra manufactured resources on each planet and they actually show up?
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

So basicallly what your saying is if i rewrite my resources into what that list shows then i should be able to fit 3 extra manufactured resources on each planet and they actually show up?

More or less, yes. I have a mix of up to six strategic and luxury types at each colonizable planet type, I then have up to 9 manufactured goods added to that, the abundance values are scaled so as to allow the appearance of the manufactured goods, once they are balanced, when the engine randomly chooses a resource type to appear, if all the strategic and luxury types have been worked through and say 4 of them appeared out of 6 you will then have the manufactured goods fill up the other 4 spaces.

The only thing I would be concerned about once you have got the balance right is that all these new funky resources are then going to have to be worked into the components file, might be an idea to try not to get to exotic with the types till you have got things 100% functioning within normal parameters.

Darkspire
uberknight72

Post by uberknight72 »

I anticipated having to rewrite the component requirements. As well as racial bonuses. but to get it the way i want it its going to be inevitable. And tge resources with aterisks are special strategic resources for later tiered components. Which is why im going to use what you showed me and what ive learned from experience so far to design an in-depth plan before i even get started. But thanks alot! i think i have enough understanding to tackle this [:D]
And thanks for the column tip, the uneven lines have been killing my life.

But i have one more question..
What do you mean setting the abundance low? How would the abundance affect whether it spawns or not? I thought the value dictating the chances of it appearing determined that?

Like if i set, say, strong ivory to have 20-50% abundance and 10% chance of actually appearing per Ice planet. How would the 20-50% abundance affect whether it spawns on a planet with a lot of resources more than to set it at 80-100% abundance with 10% chance appearing?[;)]
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

But i have one more question..
What do you mean setting the abundance low? How would the abundance affect whether it spawns or not? I thought the value dictating the chances of it appearing determined that?

My mistake, I mean the prevalence values, not the abundance value. Well spotted, I was just testing to see if you were on the ball [;)]

Sounds like you are on course though, glad to have shed some light in darkened areas [:)]

Darkspire
uberknight72

Post by uberknight72 »

ORIGINAL: Darkspire
My mistake, I mean the prevalence values, not the abundance value. Well spotted, I was just testing to see if you were on the ball [;)]

Sure, sure XD
Its cool though, i was thinking you was mixing the two up but since im still very new to this i wasnt going to immediatly assume you was without making sure. Atm you could tell me that making an ASCII cat in the components.txt will turn your fighters into mini deathstars with equivalent power and i would partially believe you. Lmao.

Well im going to get started as soon as im off work.
And thanks a lot for the pointers :)

Return to “Design and Modding”