Need help finding easy to learn WWII strategy game

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

GameTime

Need help finding easy to learn WWII strategy game

Post by GameTime »

Hi there,

I would not say I’m new to WWII strategy genre, but my experience is rather limited.

I read good reviews about Unity of Command so decided to give that ago. Without a doubt one of the most amazing strategy games I have ever played. I have gone on to finish all the expansions. This game appealed to me because of how simplistic the learning curve was whilst still offering a great challenging experience.

Following on from this I wanted to give another strategy game ago so after some further reading I read a lot of people talking about Heart of Iron series. I purchased number 3 however instantly was confused and decided to move on.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a game that is similar to Unity of Command, easy learning curve but in depth strategy?

Thanks
InuharikoMu

RE: Need help finding easy to learn WWII strategy game

Post by InuharikoMu »

1.) Ground Pounders @ Steam <- Not WWII but easy & Deep
2.) Strategic Command WWI @ Battlefront.com
3.) Panzer Battles: Battles of Kursk - Southern Flank @ John Tiller Software
4.) Squad Battles: Red Victory @ John Tiller Software
5.} Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 @ Matrix
6.) John Tiller's Campaign Series @ Matrix
“If a man does his best, what else is there?”
&#8213; George S. Patton Jr.
captain10

Post by captain10 »

I would recommend you Commander Europe at War. It's a game on a strategy level of War World II in the European Theatre. It's easy to play, in some ways similar to Unity of Command.

Regards
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

2nd Commander Europe at War. Pretty simple and yet fun. The "Grand Strategy" add-ons make it even better.
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

I'd have to agree with the above two posters: Commander Europe At War, definitely.
Richard
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Yep.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Orm

Post by Orm »

How is the AI for Commander - Europe At War?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: GameTime

Hi there,

I would not say I’m new to WWII strategy genre, but my experience is rather limited.

I read good reviews about Unity of Command so decided to give that ago. Without a doubt one of the most amazing strategy games I have ever played. I have gone on to finish all the expansions. This game appealed to me because of how simplistic the learning curve was whilst still offering a great challenging experience.

Following on from this I wanted to give another strategy game ago so after some further reading I read a lot of people talking about Heart of Iron series. I purchased number 3 however instantly was confused and decided to move on ...

IMO, HoI2 was the last playable title in this series; it was less confusing and had much less micromanagement than the original HoI, but it wasn't simple to learn.

Most strategy games are Grand Strategy, but sometimes there are smaller scenarios that are more manageable.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

ORIGINAL: carlos2012

I would recommend you Commander Europe at War. It's a game on a strategy level of War World II in the European Theatre. It's easy to play, in some ways similar to Unity of Command.

Regards
Its pretty much exactly like Strategic Command,even the sounds are the same,the only difference is the price.
captain10

Post by captain10 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

How is the AI for Commander - Europe At War?

It's not good enough. You can use it to learn to play the game, but the AI do foolish things. It's very easy to envelope his units. It attacks everytime, everywhere, instead of waiting the right moment. After a game or two against the AI I would play against a human opponent by PBEM.

InuharikoMu

Post by InuharikoMu »

Commander Europe At War is a cheap Hearts of Iron 2 Ripoff with a braindead AI, why not Darkest Hour: A Heart of Iron Game instead? HOI2 with all Addons & plus the best MOD!
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

You'd do well to stay away from anything HOI.

Now, as for easy to play but still a challenge and fun you can't go wrong with Panzer General series. The Perfect General at Killerbeesoftware.com, Empire or Empire Deluxe at the same place. Slitherine makes one like a chess game called Medieval Conquest. Risk of course, Memoir 44 online. Panzer Command series. Panzer Corps (if you want updated Panzer General), Tin Soldiers series Alexander or Caesar or both depending on your taste (minatures style play, even looks like minatures), older Combat Mission series (more bang for your bucks), Crusader Kings II (made by the same company as HOI but so much better) little more complex if you don't understand it. Has a lot of roleplay aspects in it as well as a strategy game, Warlords series any but the real time ones. Warlords IV was quite the best after the 1.05 patch.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

I would suggest Korsun Pocket / Battles in Normandy / Battles in Italy as the next step up in complexity from Unity of Command:

* Open supply lines are still a very important consideration, but now you also have to deal with supply levels in individual units
* Artillery units are now separate units that you need to move around, allocate accordingly, and safeguard within the rear area
* Maneuver warfare is still the name of the game
* There is a larger distinction between different unit types, and divisional integrity counts
* You start playing around with specialized units like paratroopers, engineers / bridge-builders and amphibious units
* Combat remains relatively simple, being computed by a system very similar to how UOC does it, but now you get to deal with stacking units in hexes and simultaneous attacks from multiple hexsides
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Before you buy anything new, check out screenshots, reviews, and general information. Products page lists all Matrix games available and information is provided for every each one of them.

Decisive Battles serie (starting from Korsun Pocket) have large maps and hundreds (or thousands) of units for each side. If that seems too much for you to bear (it scared heck out of me), I recommend you The Operational Art of War III (TOAW3). That game is extremely scalable from tens of units to many thousands, and from Napoleonic Wars to Iraqi Freedom. I presume TOAW3 be more realistic than UoC and I recommend reading through the manual (156 pages). AI has got some praise as well.

For simplier game similar to Unity of Command, I recommend Panzer Corps. Tutorials provide in-game instructions, so going through the manual is not required. With experience from UoC, I expect you to be with Panzer Corps at home from the start.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Richtschnur

Commander Europe At War is a cheap Hearts of Iron 2 Ripoff with a braindead AI, why not Darkest Hour: A Heart of Iron Game instead? HOI2 with all Addons & plus the best MOD!

CEaW is really very little like Hearts of Iron. Do you mean to say that all grand strategy games are ripoffs of HoI?. As far as the AI, I've had some pretty enjoyable games against it. The AI is fairly aggressive and will do what it can to mess up your plans. Throw in factors like Oil, and Manpower and you get a pretty interesting game as Axis trying to conquer Europe before running out of resources.
InuharikoMu

Post by InuharikoMu »

Well Gary it seems i was wrong. Didn't know that there is a GOLD Version of CEaW. I can only speak of the original Game from around 2007 or so the 1.0 Version. And that Version was a Turd.

But it seems that the DEVs have put a lot of Work in it. I will check. Thanks for the Tip.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

If you are not looking for exact time line and Countries from WW2 but rather a strategic game that operates with WW2 gear, try Advanced tactics Gold there are a few WW2 scenarios made by players for it as well.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
GameTime

Post by GameTime »

Thank you everyone for your recommendations. After doing some further reading I have narrowed my selection down to 2 choices:

Commander: Europe at War Gold
Strategic Command WWII Global Conflict Gold

Which one of these is the better choice?

I would prefer if game play included a little diplomacy, economy and inclusion of supply lines. But again nothing to over the top.

Thank you.
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

GT, this is simple, for the Global WW2 experience with an intuitive interface, there is but one. SC Global Conflict and add the Assault on Democracy extension. But try before you buy, with multiple demos at the Battlefront website. Quest over!
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

In regard to Commander: Europe at War vs Strategic Command

Have a look here tm.asp?m=3309969&mpage=1&key=strategic+command&#3310062

And here tm.asp?m=3258161&mpage=1&key=strategic+command&#3260018
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Return to “General Discussion”