Took the plunge and bought MWIF

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

dougo33

Took the plunge and bought MWIF

Post by dougo33 »

As the title state I took the plunge and bought the game on Tuesday (which is my Friday). I got the books today and I must say they are fantastic. I was a little skeptical of the books but they are worth the money.

I have spent the last few days watching the videos, reading the tutorials and dinking around before I dive in. I am a vetran board gamer, having played WIF since the 90's, and still am in a little awe of the depth of this game. Many fond memories are coming back as I poke around thus far and I am looking forward to my first solitare game.

If anyone is on the fence about weather to spend the money for the books - I say do it and you will not be disappoinet.
Shellshock

RE: Took the plunge and bought MWIF

Post by Shellshock »

ORIGINAL: dougo33

If anyone is on the fence about weather to spend the money for the books - I say do it and you will not be disappointed.

I was a bit on the fence due to the current lack of an AI. I haven't played a war game with just me as the opponent since I got my first computer in 1992. It's funny though, how quickly all the old solitaire gaming habits came bubbling back to the surface. Just play both sides to the best of your ability and it's still entertaining. Mistakes and errors you can exploit for both sides will always crop up no matter how hard you try to anticipate them, so it keeps you engaged.

Still hoping for an AI opponent, but getting enjoyment out of it all the same.
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

ORIGINAL: dougo33

If anyone is on the fence about weather to spend the money for the books - I say do it and you will not be disappointed.

I was a bit on the fence due to the current lack of an AI. I haven't played a war game with just me as the opponent since I got my first computer in 1992. It's funny though, how quickly all the old solitaire gaming habits came bubbling back to the surface. Just play both sides to the best of your ability and it's still entertaining. Mistakes and errors you can exploit for both sides will always crop up no matter how hard you try to anticipate them, so it keeps you engaged.

Still hoping for an AI opponent, but getting enjoyment out of it all the same.

Hi dougo33 and Shellshock

I realize you were concerned when you put out that kind of money for a computer war game, if I wasn't a beta tester and knew nothing about the game except for the posts I would have been very leery thanks to the bugs and problems that have been posted by players who purchased the game before you did. The only real problem I see right now is net play, so if that is not a major issue you will be fine.

The books are trully awsome IMO, hope you are enjoying them.

Steve is contracted to do an AI for Matrix and he will do so and in my opinion a very good one. With some 73,000 hexes to deal with it could be a formidable job.

I am an AI person through and through I think everyone that has been here for while knows that.

I think a good AI for Barbarossa and Guadalcanal is very doable because of the size of the maps and units involved, the half maps of Day of infamy and Facist tide which will most likely will be incorporated into the game this year might be a little more difficult, and Global war well only Steve can answer that one.

The game is very playable in solo version IMHO, I like it because everytime I retest a scenario there is almost always a different outcome in attacks but not the final outcome, the defeat of France.

The other day I invaded France again for the 50th time [:(] in the Facist Tide scenario which I work on along with Guadalcanal. By the 3rd German impulse in the May\June 1940 turn I was at the gates of Paris and I attacked the city at 5 to 1 odds and a hex near Paris at 5 to 1 odds normally a done deal but in a rare roll in both attacks the die turned out to be a 1 on the die.

That die roll stopped me dead in my tracks [pun tank tracks] 1 on the die roll at 5 to 1 odds caused me to destroy one of my units in each attack and disorganized the rest, worse yet the French units suffered nothing they did not have to retreat nor were they disorganized. Now a die roll of 1 is kind of rare but it happened

I did not have enough reorganizing points in my Hq units to do a thing about reorganizing the 10 units that were disorganized, It actually ticked me off as I never like to be slowed down in my attacks [I know just a game [:@]] It never happened before and it set me back at least for the rest of that turn, and gave the French a little respite for a couple of impulses.

Bo

jzz001

Post by jzz001 »

ORIGINAL: bo

I think a good AI for Barbarossa and Guadalcanal is very doable because of the size of the maps and units involved, the half maps of Day of infamy and Facist tide which will most likely will be incorporated into the game this year might be a little more difficult, and Global war well only Steve can answer that one.

Hi bo

Do you think that Is it possible to release AI for Barbarossa and Guadalcanal first separately when they are ready? Thanks.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: jiangzhouzi

Hi bo

Do you think that Is it possible to release AI for Barbarossa and Guadalcanal first separately when they are ready? Thanks.

That looks like a valid suggestion to Steve. Up to him.
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

My condolence!
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: jiangzhouzi

Hi bo

Good suggestion and a valid one, not sure how that might work, I think though it will be one AI for all the scenarios and completed at the same time for all scenarios.

Bo
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

My condolence!
Hmm wasn't aware someone passed away from buying the game Oh well!

Bo
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

My condolence!
Hmm wasn't aware someone passed away from buying the game Oh well!

Bo
Dabrion, is very consistent in his opinion. I look forward to playing MWiF with him.

You to Bo. [;)]
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

double post
Marcus Luttrell
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

double post

With his knowledge of the game you would be better off playing a newb like me [:(]

Bo
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

double post

With his knowledge of the game you would be better off playing a newb like me [:(]

Bo

Yea, I hear that he's been giving Steve pointers on how to program and test code!
Tony
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

double post

Bo

Bo,
When you feel that netplay is sufficiently stable to play either Barbarossa and Guadalcanal, I'm your huckleberry. [8D]

We can chat real time on yahoo or Steam if you have either or both. Or use Skype for voice commo. I can even check with my world of warcraft guild and see if they would allow the use of Ventrilo.

Just say the word.

Marcus Luttrell

Return to “World in Flames”