Japanese fans of UV?

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Admiral Scott

Japanese fans of UV?

Post by Admiral Scott »

Are there any Japanese players of UV on this forum?

I would love to have a real Japanese opponent to play against in a PBEM game.
Full Moon

Post by Full Moon »

I'm Korean. Do I qualify? Many Koreans served under Japanese Army or Navy during WWII. The highest ranking held by Korean by the end of WWII was leutenant genral. My uncle also served in Japanese navy at a battleship during WWII. I don't remember the name of the ship unfortunately. He retired as leutenant general from South Korean Army.:)
"War is a series of catastrophes that results in a victory."
Georges Clemenceau
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

There was a fellow from Japan on the forum back about the time when the game was orginally released. I have been on and off the forum myself over time, so I don't know if he's still with us...
fair winds,
Brad
SoulBlazer

Post by SoulBlazer »

I don't believe this game is SOLD in Japan. The Japanese still seem to have a hard time accepting what happened in the war. (At least the older people, I have friends in Japan who are around my age.)
The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison
aoffen

Post by aoffen »

Actually the game is not sold in many countries. Where I am living included - thenk goodness for the web and e-commerce. There is quite an active wargaming and military modeling community in Japan and I know from the little bit of contact I have had there they do indeed have a slightly different perspective on who the good guys and bad guys were. Hardly surprising though.

Whether UV has gained much attention there I wouldn't know. Best place to find out would be Matrix shipping stats.

Regards
Andrew
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Actually, a historical wargame can be popular among the sons and daughters (not too many of this type) of the losing side. Most of the players of Sid Meir's Gettysburg (a great US Civil War game for team play BTW) on the web were from the South. If I understand correctly, anyone with an interest in military matters in Japan faces social and political ostracism. The post-war Japanese Constitiution excludes a vigorous military.
PonSu

Post by PonSu »

I'm Japanease, but I've not played UV yet :p

I know there is one shop selling UV in Japan. There are a few more, maybe.
I think the number of UV players in Japan is very small.

Most of the conflict simulation game players in Japan love board games.
They dislike PC wargames without trying them :p
Full Moon

Post by Full Moon »

PC game market in Japan is not very big. PC game market in Korea is much larger than that of Japan. Japanese rather play video games than PC games. If Matrix remake UV as a video game, I think it'll sell well in Japan. :)
"War is a series of catastrophes that results in a victory."
Georges Clemenceau
wesy

Post by wesy »

I don't know if I count, but I'm of Japanese descent ;) . I've been to the Imperial Palace, and I was surprised to see a bunch of older people (most likely of military age during wwii) singing "Kimigayo" and three shouts of "Tenno Hekka Banzai!!". I also got a chance to go to Yasukuni Shrine and the Military Museum right next door - they have a full size Judy and Ohka inside as well as a 155mm Artilery piece on the outside. Lots of interesting military stuff in the museum as well. My parents tell me (who survived the war) there are the "right wingers" who are quite nationalistic - they cruise around in vans with speakers on them.
"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen
U2

Post by U2 »

Originally posted by wesy
I don't know if I count, but I'm of Japanese descent ;) . I've been to the Imperial Palace, and I was surprised to see a bunch of older people (most likely of military age during wwii) singing "Kimigayo" and three shouts of "Tenno Hekka Banzai!!". I also got a chance to go to Yasukuni Shrine and the Military Museum right next door - they have a full size Judy and Ohka inside as well as a 155mm Artilery piece on the outside. Lots of interesting military stuff in the museum as well. My parents tell me (who survived the war) there are the "right wingers" who are quite nationalistic - they cruise around in vans with speakers on them.

I walked around the entire Imperial Palace once on a hot summers day...thank God I had water with me:)

I was stupid enough to miss the war shrine and its museum but I will do that next year...

Dan

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”