support and combat

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rexor

support and combat

Post by Rexor »

Hello again,

Given the scarcity of support for land forces, and the fact that so much of it is supplied by base force units you don't want to send into combat, am I right in assuming that the majority of my "attacks" overland will be with units that are under-supported? I'm guessing that players are forced to keep a tight rotation going between frontline troops and those that have rested at bases to compensate for this. I can't imagine finding enough support to keep all my advances in the "green". Or am I missing something?
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe." (H.G. Wells)
Yaab

RE: support and combat

Post by Yaab »

LCUs on both sides of the conflict are under-supported.

Contrary to what the manual says on page 260 ( "Support in a friendly base hex can be shared between units, so as long as the total support in the hex is greater than the support needed by all the units in the hex, the units will be fully supported. Support is not shared if not in a friendly base hex) two LCUs will share their support squads in non-base hexes. You will find some LCUs i.e. in China which have MORE support than necessary, so you can pair them with under-supplied corps.

Also, why not break some support-rich HQs into smaller pieces? There is an ALlied HQ with 360 support squads sitting in Delhi which can be broken by moving it by transport planes. Say 4 x 90 support squads detachments tailored for your Burma campaign. Why not?
Rexor

Post by Rexor »

Interesting. But would you send those support fragments (or support units in general) into combat along with fighting LCUs? For instance, I'm wondering how to send an advance overland of infantry, engineers, etc, and still give them enough support until they take an enemy base and have a base force come up to occupy it.
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe." (H.G. Wells)
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Broken HQ's parts would be detachements and detachements cannot take replacements, so they may be fragile ,but they will keep your assault values high enough when you are in malaria jungle hexes. Units gain fatigue and fatigue translates into lower assault values (you can see it when a fatigued unit rests - it lowers fatigue and it assault value rises).

If there is combat, you can put the HQ detachements in Reserve - No Pursuit orders, so they will be mostly shielded from combat.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”